Dell Venue 8 and 11 Pro

Discussion in 'Dell' started by excalibur1814, Oct 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lanurd

Lanurd Pen Pal - Newbie

I, for one, have not found any "hardware" issues save the necessity to do a "shutdown" when switching power source. I am still waiting for the Engineering changes between the A00 and A01 motherboards to satisfy my curiosity. Every issue I observed and resolved were software or setup related. I am not including the stylus which I rarely use or the Dock which required me to cut 2mm of rubber off the plug.

Mine is a keeper. I love it for the leading edge technology.

2. TABLETBOOKPC_HYBRIDS

TABLETBOOKPC_HYBRIDS Scribbler - Standard Member

Was the width-weight-fan difference significant in real world use?:hi2:

At the Microsoft store they only had the thinner fanless atom version out for me to try that still seemed fast (& without the buggyness of the Dell Venue 8 that they blamed on many people touching it in store but just as many or more played with the DVP11 without that buggyness) & I liked the way it felt in my hands, does the thicker-weightier i5 version feel as good in the hands while using over time & how often do the fans go on because it's hard to go back to fans for me now that I've been spoiled with fanless Haswell i5 with my HP Split x2 ultrabook (& thinner-lighter fanless Clovertrail HP Envy x2)? -Thnx:cool:

BTW-I wouldn't even consider the DVP11 given what I have if not for its amazing looking screen (Surface Pro comparatively feels chunky & has fans & 10.6" vs DVP11's 10.8" screen may even be a factor) & its removable battery & possible stylus-digitizer advantage compared to my HPs (stylus is supposed to work better than on the DV8). Do you use a dock because that's why I liked HP's approach as the keyboard dock was included, are great keyboards, nearly double battery life & includes extra ports while staying reasonably slim but can be solidly connected or unconnected when not needed.:thumbsup:

P.S. How do you like Spain?

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  3. Hendrickson

Hendrickson Scribbler - Standard Member

I'll have an i3 4020Y model next week as a tester (Its a refurb) I'll post my thoughts on it Vs the i5 in regards to fan noise. (I heard the i3 due to lack of turbo boost is much quiter due to less heat) I'm a big fan of fanless too. But I can put up with fans if its only when worked hard.

As my i5 4300Y was 900+ and this refurb I got for 550 0usd. Which makes me think is the extra 350 usd worth it for turbo boost? If not send the i5 4300Y back if the i3 is good. I do like this A01 revision i5 venue 11 is a different system. Seems its thermals are much better than my old 4300Y A00. I hardly never hear the fan, only if I work the machine hard playing counter strike source zipping large archives etc.

Still end of the day I have put up with a lot of issues and I think the surface 2 pro would have been better in the end.

Edit: @TABLETBOOKPC_HYBRIDS

Baytrail Vs 7130 haswells the weight is almost the same when you hold them both hand in hand. Thinner atom does look a little nice but I noticed the extra thickness of the i5 model more so when using the mobile keyboard dock. You seem to see it more when its in a clamshell. Personally it doesn't bother me. Its not a huge difference. I have gone for the speed and little thicker vs slim and a little slower

Spain is good thanks, lots of sunshine where i am based.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
    TABLETBOOKPC_HYBRIDS likes this.
  4. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think so too, about the i3 not having Turbo Boost equating to overall less heat under sustained use.

Could it also be for the SSD? What's your i5's current SSD capacity? I thought they were 256GB?

5. Hendrickson

Hendrickson Scribbler - Standard Member

In this case both have 128GB X110 Sandisks, I will upgrade it to 256GB 2260 M.2 when they are released to non OEMs.

6. TABLETBOOKPC_HYBRIDS

TABLETBOOKPC_HYBRIDS Scribbler - Standard Member

So are you going to change or elaborate the last part of your footer sig " Current Tablet: Dell Venue 11 Pro i5 4300Y. Full of issues and bugs " ?:hi2::eek: - Gracias ;)

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  7. D. Ocho

D. Ocho Pen Pal - Newbie

Anybody else has problems that the keyboard physically disconnects from the tablet. I'am talking here about the keyboard with the battery. It shouldn't disconnect because it is hold on by and magnets and a mechanical connection.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  8. landofvanilla

landofvanilla Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't know if you or anybody still gives a damn, but I didn't, when I received my 5130/LTE today, after 3 months of waiting. I thought the order was cancelled but they replaced it without my knowledge anyway and it came. If you let your cancelled order sit, you might get it too. I received 2 of them today...

I've since decided that 8" with LTE is much more necessary and I don't really need this. Especially with 64 bit / 4gb machines coming, not to mention smaller / lighter - e.g. Acer Switch SW5, Thinkpad 10

Just so everyone knows, the card is not locked and will take all carriers. I got the sprint one and have used it with my at&t SIM. There's also a "generic" option for non-listed carriers.

Get the Sprint one as it's cheaper than the others and will still work with your carrier.

9. CodeScripted

CodeScripted Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the Venue i5/8gb/256gb (I do not have LTE).

I was wondering if I can add WWAN card in future if needed. Therefore I opened the back cover and notice right above the battery that WWAN slot can be accessed. Currently it has a plastic piece in place (please see the picture below:
    [​IMG]

Even though I do not have the LTE version, I noticed the antenna cables are already running through and routed for WWAN card (please see the picture below):
    [​IMG]

Also several people have mentioned that the sim card slot is already included (please see the picture below):
    [​IMG]

Now unless DELL's new found hobby is to run antenna wires through the venue 11 for free, I imagine everything is ready, just needs WWAN card in place. Hence, I would like to ask if anyone has tried to purchase a WWAN (mini-PCI), install driver, and actually use Internet?

I notice several WWAN (mini-PCI) cards available:
    For example:
    1) Dell Wireless DW5804 4G LTE/WWAN Mobile Broadband also known as Novatel Expedite E371
    2) Dell DW5630 Qualcomm Gobi 3000 3G WWAN Mini PCI-e Wireless (used in several Dell laptops)
    3) many others.... (any suggestions?)

Has anyone attempted ? or found a working solution?

10. Wat_Leung

Wat_Leung Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi friend

I don't think so it is a SIM card slot, It just a T-Flash card slot.