Dell Venue 8 and 11 Pro

Discussion in 'Dell' started by excalibur1814, Oct 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Damreal

Damreal Pen Pal - Newbie

Curious if anyone has a link to the Atom based version for the LTE model and if so does anyone know if it is unlocked factory wise?

2. D. Ocho

D. Ocho Pen Pal - Newbie

Good day.
    I have a Dell Venue 11 Pro and have big charging problems with it.
    Yesterday I tried to charge the keyboard dock and the tablet with different chargers because I could not get them to charge quickly together with one charger.
    This one being a 2.1 A charger.
    This moning whe I woke up the tablet was at 0% and the keyboard at 70%. Both being chaged with the same model charger.
    Now I read in the manual that the supplied charger has the following properties;

Output current (30 W)
    19.5 V / 1.2 A (Continuous) 19.5 V / 1.53 A (peak current) ; 5 V / 2 A (Continuous)

Does this mean I can charge my tablet with a 19V charger.

I have one from my Asus TF700.

3. D. Ocho

D. Ocho Pen Pal - Newbie

Double post :eek::hi2:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  4. Hendrickson

Hendrickson Scribbler - Standard Member

Oh if your use a 2A charger for the TF100 then it will never get ahead. :eek: Its has no way near the power required! You need to use the 24W Supplied Dell charger :)

5. TABLETBOOKPC_HYBRIDS

TABLETBOOKPC_HYBRIDS Scribbler - Standard Member

Are people still fans of their DVP11?:hi2: Anyone use its pen & dock?

I actually went into a Microsoft store some months back to check out the DV8 & was mesmerized by the screen on the DVP11 & always wanted the ability to exchange the battery like my Samsung Note2. The DVP11 felt good in the hand/s with decent speakers & the best screen I've seen on a tablet. :thumbsup:

I'm a fan of the hybrid form factor & got the fanless 11.6" HP Envy x2 when it first came out that I finally updated to Win 8.1 today which improves the tablet even desktop experience even though it only has 2GB RAM (ad blockers in Chrome help memory management). I also have the fanless Haswell 13.3" HP Split x2 ultrabook that I hope to update to 8.1 soon but its upgraded 1080p screen has a screen like effect that is distracting & could be lighter for long term use though I am happy I bought it because of Haswell speed-great speakers but I wish it offered 8GB RAM as the 4GB RAM still forces me to reboot when running out of memory (closing tabs & apps isn't enough-need full reboot to recapture full multitasking speed).:cool:

I've read the DVP11 atom model is fanless with less bugs than the Haswell model that has fans but offers up to 8GB RAM. Not sure I want to spend over $1000 for 8GB models with the bugs reported at Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Dell Venue Pro11i-8182BLK 10.8-Inch Tablet (Black) & Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Venue 11 Pro Tablet PC - 10.8" - In-plane Switching (IPS) Technology - Intel Core i5 i5-4300Y 1.60 GHz - Black so was considering if it makes sense to get the better reviewed Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Dell Venue Pro11-2500BLK 64 GB Tablet (Windows 8.1) atom model with only 2GB RAM option for $500 given what I already have because I'm such a big fan of its great screen & removable battery?

Thoughts from owners? :hi2:

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  6. Bobmitch

Bobmitch Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the Atom version VP11 (5130), It came with a 64 GB SSD and I added on another 6e4 GB with micro SDXC card and did the trick on Windows to make my SD card the D drive and double the storage. Because Windows 8.1 is 32 bit, it only comes with 2 GB of RAM. I cleaned it up, pretty well and usually have about 60% memory free. The screen is gorgeous! I got the slim keyboard (the one without the battery), and I much prefer it. People with the mobile keyboard, seem to have a lot of problems with it. Frankly, mine has bee great. It doubles as a cover when closed. I mainly use this tablet for business, web and email. I do watch some mlb games on it as well...super in HD. This version of the tablet, does NOT get hot. I have hit it very hard at times and it gets warm. Battery time without the keyboard is really about 8.5-9 hours. With keyboard attacked, about 7 hours. Nothing to complain about. All in all, the Baytrail (5130) is a worthwhile investment

TABLETBOOKPC_HYBRIDS likes this.
  7. Hendrickson

Hendrickson Scribbler - Standard Member

I own both systems the bay trail and a i5 4300Y version. While I love the bay trail for its lack of fans and 2-3 hours more battery. The 64GB ssd and the 2GB of ram have made me switch to the 7130 i5 and my bay trail is up for sale.

I found the bay trail great (more so at first), on a fresh install but once I loaded up the C drive and a month later it slowed down. Right clicking desktop results in a 5 second lag before i get the right click menu. I found after trimming the 64GB eMMC it would help. Then when I used my i5 4300Y it would just fly. mostly due to the SSD with its 430mbs read rates vs about 60mbs on the eMMC.

My bay trail while great for emails etc and internet would lag on a certain large internet pages and go white and take sometime to load about 10-15 seconds. On the i5 7130 it would 2-3 seconds. The ssd I think is the huge difference and 4GB of rams means I dont get low memory warnings when using chrome with many tabs. But then it did not have all the issues my first 7130 had.

What really sealed the deal on my 7130 was I managed to get a new A01 motherboard and its great no freezes and issues like before. It also outputs 2560 x 1440p via hdmi @ 60hz! (using custom res) Which the bay trail tops out at 1080p

Its down to this if you dont mind a slow ssd and just need it for emails, internet the baytrail is the option. If you need multi tab browsing more speed. Liek a real ssd with good speed. Get the haswell V11p.

8. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

FWIW I'd like to point out that so far nobody with the i3 model has had any major problems or complaints. That isn't to say that the i3 model is perfect by any stretch, but it seems that it doesn't share the same issues that the i5 has. Perhaps it's a different motherboard (which I don't believe) or perhaps just very few people own one.

I have an i3 model and have not had any problems with it that weren't caused by software

9. PrznMovieFan

PrznMovieFan Pen Pal - Newbie

Is the new A01 motherboard something on the atom models as well? My Venue 11 occasionally freezes after the dell logo flashes and won't load, so if theres a hardware solution out there I would certainly like that!

10. TABLETBOOKPC_HYBRIDS

TABLETBOOKPC_HYBRIDS Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for your post, almost totally forgot about the i3 model but according to Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Dell Venue 11 Pro Pro11-6363BLK 10.8-Inch Tablet (Windows 8.1) reviews are also quite critical..:eek:

Curious what i5 complaints you refer to that your i3 model doesn't have & what do you think of the Amazon complaints of the above linked i3 & i5 model at http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Venue-Pr...iewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending ?:hi2:

I might be willing to spend an extra $300 for i3 & 2x RAM if the earlier complaints have been resolved. Perhaps there are quality control problems where many units have the complained about issues while others don't..:confused:

Lastly I've been spoiled by my totally silent fanless HP Envy x2 (Clovertrail atom vs Baytrail atom however) & its upgrade HP Split x2 ultrabook that is also totally silent fanless Haswell i5 with 4GB RAM (although I'd have opted for 8GB RAM if it were an option) so going back to a tablet hybrid with fans isn't as appealing. Is the i3 fans less or more noisy than i5 model? :eek:

-Thnx :cool:

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.