Dell Venue 8 and 11 Pro

Discussion in 'Dell' started by excalibur1814, Oct 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TABLETBOOKPC_HYBRIDS

TABLETBOOKPC_HYBRIDS Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm seeing "Estimated Ship Date: 3/12/2014", I don't even see the 8GB RAM model listed at Dell Venue 11 Pro HD Windows Tablet | Dell , where did you get yours?

How buggy is yours as I'm hearing the non-atoms are significantly more buggy than the atom models?:hi2:

Lastly I gotta ask, 50 years of computers ! ? :hi2:

BTW, I posted about this at http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/hewlett-packard/59053-hp-spectre-x2-10.html#post372456 but I have to say now that I've had more time with it how great it is & makes high res screens much more friendly with apps that don't scale well. :

Someone had posted asking about precision of touch screen on high res & whether it was difficult to click on small items & the following free app I found today has helped tremendously (I have since put it on all my tablets & frankly Microsoft should license it & put it on all Win8 touchscreens):

https://www.google.com/search?q=touchmousepointer

TouchMousePointer - virtual touchpad (on-screen mouse) :thumbsup:

I changed default settings to Float with 30% Opacity & am playing around with other tap settings. Let me know if you like it too & what settings you are settling in on. It adds much more control to tablet mode with a lot of customizable control :cool:

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  2. Lanurd

Lanurd Pen Pal - Newbie

I placed my order for the 7130 vpro i5 4300y 8GB/256GB model on 11/10 with a est. ship date od 12/13. I received an email on 12/10 saying delay shipping to 1/7 but received it on 1/3.

I had to learn win 8.1 from scratch and spent the 1st week learning the Metro UI to find why the dramatic switch. Simple really, MS unified look and feel for all devices Desktop, laptop, tablet and phones all look the same.

During that time I also realized old familiar Windows was still behind it all, well maybe not the "Start" button but I decided not to add it back and go with what MS designed. I used the Active stylus on the Windows UI because of the HD display for precise pointing and clicking. I highly recommend getting a stylus and a lot of AAAA batteries.

I spent the next week loading my Windows software including MS Office Pro, Visio, Quicken and tools etc and testing the add-ons I bought for it. 64GB microSD, 64GB usb 3 flash, USB 3 7 port hub, USB 3 Blu-ray drive, WD USB 3 1TB backup drive, Dell Dock and slim keyboard. Geez, this thing is FAST.

99% owner satisfaction. Everything I could ask for. Great battery life with only 2% per night loss while sleeping. Slight annoyance with the occasional delay in response and ghost clicks.

However, it all came to a halt on 1/18 when I turned it into a "brick". The dreaded TPM monster had struck. I finally made contact with a Dell support Tech who knew her sh*t and ordered a replacement. You can read all about that issue here. Venue Pro 11 vPro 7130 TPM issue (now bricked) - Windows Mobile Products - Mobile Devices - Dell Community I am "Lanurd" an affectionate name giving to me by my co-workers years ago. I posted a brief history of my 50yrs in this thread.

This is nothing new as I have seen 1st ship dates slip and systems delivered with over 500 patches to be installed. Demand often exceeds even the best forecast. Trying to remain on the leading edge of technology is tough in any industry but IT is the worst.

The touchmousepointer app worked fine for me but having the Slim keyboard and stylus negates the need for it.

Patience is all I can offer...

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
    crashsuit likes this.
  3. Lanurd

Lanurd Pen Pal - Newbie

gravary likes this.
  4. brandon

brandon Pen Pal - Newbie

Does anyone know the scoop on the release timeline for the mobile broadband options for the 11 pro? There is one sku currently available with Sprint (its an atom variant). Way back in october, the official release metioned at&t as well. I had a dell rep about a month ago tell me that other carriers were slated to be released the first week of february but that hasn't happened yet. I am more curious why they don't release it as an option for the haswell variants as well. Could the delay be related to the production hiatus? It seems as though there are virtually no manufacturers (dell or otherwise) that offer a windows/haswell tablet with cellular connectivity.

I read somewhere that less than 10% of ipads sold here 3g/lte enabled. But I would think these win pro tablets, billed as a replacement for your WORK computer and your ipad, would drive demand much higher than that level. So I am guessing there is some technical reason we have not seen a proliferation of cellular options rather than just minuscule market demand. Does anyone have some insight?

5. dunkyduncs

dunkyduncs Pen Pal - Newbie

i can only comment on what i found out here in the South African market, all our variants come standard with the mobile broadband option for south africa, so maybe it has something to do with specific markets that's delaying the release of it?

6. TABLETBOOKPC_HYBRIDS

TABLETBOOKPC_HYBRIDS Scribbler - Standard Member

Wow you have been dealing with this for a while, honestly I would be annoyed to pay for something unusable for so long..

What caught my eye in the Microsoft store is its display quality, thinness-weight, tablet port selection & its removable battery. The MSFT store does not even carry its keyboards nor stylus which would have made a buying decision easier. Any rechargeable AAAA batteries people using, Amazon doesn't even seem to carry rechargeable AAAA batteries?

My HP Split x2 ultrabook does have better front facing speakers in its 13.3" detachable screen that you can hear & actually feel while holding but its display is not as clear & mesmerizingly beautiful. Mine does have an i5 processor & is completely fanless & silent which I was surprised by how much I appreciate with great keyboard & solid build. I've heard that only the Dell VPro 11 atom are fanless-silent with less bugs while the dell-venue-11i-pro has fans & is more buggy. Could you comment if you noticed its fans-noise if you had a chance to push it?:hi2:

Regarding the TouchMousePointer - virtual touchpad makes the tablet functionality especially high res displays so much more usable without a need for a stylus (but they are not mutually exclusive). My handset is the Samsung Galaxy Note2 which has a stylus & if I needed to use it everytime I wanted to navigate certain apps I would also be annoyed, it's about versatility which that app adds & I feel so much less dependent on the keyboard touchpad or stylus since I found it..:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  7. landofvanilla

landofvanilla Pen Pal - Newbie

AT&T has been available for about a week. You have to "build and configure" and select it out of the two options. There is a $120 price diff on the atoms between the Home and Work sites ($630 for home, $750 work).

Also saw a few days ago LTE for the i3 Model showed up but with a ship date of next month.

I have had my atom on order since 1/30 and ship date has pushed back twice already.. from 2/3 to 2/6 and now to 2/11.

crashsuit likes this.
  8. dunkyduncs

dunkyduncs Pen Pal - Newbie

the venue 11 pro is now available for order again on the South African site.. so i am guessing this means the production halt is over?

9. BenIsLegend

BenIsLegend Pen Pal - Newbie

Really hope so. Mine got delayed now the EDD is 18th of March but I'd love for it to come before then so if the production is back on thats a good sign.

10. landofvanilla

landofvanilla Pen Pal - Newbie

1/30 ordered bay trail with LTE tablet, date pushed back 3 times already, until today when they just cancel the order without so much as an e-mail to inform me.

Components not available? Yet the exact config has been available on the site for the entire 2 weeks. Solution? Customer service is re-entering the order... back to the back of the queue.

Dell... learn how to do business, please. The same BS since launch day has not gone away... you're just not hearing it anymore because everyone on here got their stuff after 2 months.