Dell Venue 8 and 11 Pro

Discussion in 'Dell' started by excalibur1814, Oct 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. next_milenium

next_milenium Scribbler - Standard Member

Welcome to Venue 11 Pro! :D
    You aren't the only one with those issues. This thread is getting longer by the day.
    Venue vPro 11 7130 Freezing issues - Windows Mobile Products - Mobile Devices - Dell Community

2. rushmore69

rushmore69 Scribbler - Standard Member

99 and 2004 are my favorites and also play perfect on the 5130 too. V11 is a nice mini me PC.

Trancebear likes this.
  3. Trancebear

Trancebear Pen Pal - Newbie

There is a touchscreen firmware update marked urgent on the Dell website. I did a SSD firmware update and the freezing has gotten better. All sizes have an update.

4. critical_

critical_ Pen Pal - Newbie

The phantom swipes and taps disappeared after the first few days but they occasionally come back. I believe it is a defect with the touch panel and/or a short in the tablet somewhere that has improved as the unit has been moved/bump around.

This is useful. I've updated the drivers but that hasn't fixed anything. I'll see how the new tablet works out. Quite frankly, I'm quite annoyed with it all.

It also doesn't help that Windows 8.1 can't join ad-hoc networks from the GUI (I have to join it using the command line). I know this isn't a Dell issue but it would have been nice if Dell had shipped a no-fluff utility to take over management of wireless networks.

5. ford1620

ford1620 Pen Pal - Newbie

FYI. Not sure if this has been posted already, but there is now a 11 Pro 5130 LTE (sprint) version available on the Dell website. Also, the 7130 4300Y 8/256GB is back as an option as well (Dell business).

crashsuit likes this.
  6. landofvanilla

landofvanilla Pen Pal - Newbie

Are these things carrier locked? I want to have a broadband card just for when I go international and can get a prepaid sim card.

7. dunkyduncs

dunkyduncs Pen Pal - Newbie

hi there

this is my first post on this forum! Spent hours trawling through this thread in particular and well super informative! I am ready to pull the trigger on a Venue 11 pro... ideally i am wanting the 256gb/8gb ram version.. i see this being a replacement for my notebook that i use for work... does anyone know if there is a shortage of the 256gb version? Here in South Africa, they have just launched this venue 11 pro this week and no sight of the 256gb version :(

Is the SSD replaceable at a later date? and lastly.. on the 128gb version.. how much is usable? Is adding a 64gb microSD card an option to expand storage.. or should i just wait and see if the 256gb becomes available...

haha decisions decisions!!!!! :)

8. Hendrickson

Hendrickson Scribbler - Standard Member

There does seem to be a shortage on the 256GB now. I orginally had one ordered till it slipped to the 21st Feb estimated delivery time. So canceled it. Yes this year more and more M.2 2260 (22mm x 60mm) ssd drives will start to show so we will be able to upgrade to 256GB and later even higher like 512GB.

I have a 4300Y 4GB 128GB version and I plan to upgrade to 256GB later down this year when Samsung, lite on or adata etc release their 256GB drives in a few months. Right now they have only sent out sample to review sites etc. That is if I still have the system without throwing it out a window...

If you can I would wait on the V11 Pro i core versions. They are plagued with bugs and driver software issues, I have 2 and one has a faulty ssd. The other has power on, touch panel and dock issues. Its far from stable. The hardware shows promice, but the software side of things is a joke. Give Dell a month more 3 more and it might just be a decent system. Otherwise get a Surface 2 Pro 256GB.... Take this from Venue i5 owner.

9. dunkyduncs

dunkyduncs Pen Pal - Newbie

thanks for the reply! Unfortunately here in South Africa.. the surface 1 hasn't even launched yet! I am going to hold out a bit with the Venue i think, official word from Dell is that they have no idea if/when the 256gb version will be offered :(

10. ChrisM

ChrisM Pen Pal - Newbie

Dell stopped the production of at least some versions of the Venue 11 Pro.

In the German community of Dell an Dell employee "Tom" wrote that the production of the Venue 11 Pro is halted because they found an error that has to be analyzed and fixed before they can continue with the production of the tablet. Currently they do not know if that is an driver, an BIOS or an hardware error.

You can find the post here: Warum Liefertermin für Dell Venue 11 pro verschoben / um 5 Wochen!? - Mobile Geräte - Forum - Mobile Geräte - Dell Community

Unclear is, which error Dell found and which models of the Venue 11 Pro may have it and if they will replace or repair already delivered models.

Google translate of the Dell posts:

"Posted by DELL-Tom G
    on January 31, 2014 8:08

Hello,

No in this case it is not able to do anything. We have observed in a small number problems and these must only pursue to ensure that our customers receive a well-functioning tablet.

regards

Tom Guenther"

"Posted by DELL-Tom G
    on January 31, 2014 8:27

Hello,

(...)

Since this production stop was just proclaimed, I can not tell much information unfortunately. It has yet to be discussed, so that the increased number of errors goes. Subsequently, this must of course also be achieved.

This can lead to very different periods. Is it an easily replaced component, or an error in the BIOS to fix something with security fast. But is it necessary to redesign certain things (board layout, etc.), this period determines exhausted.

I'm really sorry, but I have received no further information, so we have to be patient there.

(...)

regards

Tom"