Dell Venue 8 and 11 Pro

Discussion in 'Dell' started by excalibur1814, Oct 2, 2013.

1. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Dell announces Venue 8 Pro and Venue 11 Pro Windows 8.1 tablets (hands-on)

When you commit to something it's often difficult when you suddenly see something as, or more, sexy. I'm feeling brave and sticking with the Surface Pro 2 and looking heavily at the Venue 8 (Supports pen imput!).

The Venue Pro 11, however, is something that might fit right into the business ESPECIALLY due to having a removable battery

2. MikeOx

MikeOx Scribbler - Standard Member

Hello there V11P!

Venue 11 Pro

The larger Venue 11 Pro must have an 11-inch touchscreen, right? Wrong! It’s only 10.8 inches, but it delivers a resolution of 1920 by 1080 pixels, provides ten touch points, and can drive an external monitor via a mini-HDMI port or with Intel’s wireless display technology.

Dell will offer an optional docking station that can drive an external DisplayPort 1.2 monitor at resolutions up to 2560 by 1600 pixels (or an outboard HDMI 1.4 display at resolutions up to 1920 by 1080 pixels). Hand also showed me an optional docking keyboard/case accessory that effectively transforms the tablet into an Ultrabook. The keyboard felt great under my fingertips, and it houses a second battery for the tablet.
    Dell Venue Pro keyboard caseThe Venue 11 Pro's optional keyboard case is similar to the one Microsoft offers for its Surface Pro.

Speaking of batteries, the Venue 11 Pro’s is removable. Unfortunately, Dell doesn’t provide any means of charging a spare battery outside the tablet. Hand said the intent was more to provide the enterprise with flexibility than to extend the tablet’s runtime. Maybe he’ll change his mind if there’s enough demand for a battery-charging dock.

The Venue 11 Pro will be available in several configurations when it ships in November, with the base model powered by a quad-core Intel Atom Z3770 (Bay Trail family), 2GB of DDR3/1333 memory, and 32GB of solid-state storage. Dell will also offer models with Intel’s dual-core Pentium 3560Y processor (Bay Trail again) and several dual-core Haswell-class CPUs (the Core i3 4020Y, Core i5-4210Y, and Core i5-4300Y). The higher-end models will be equipped with either 4GB or 8GB of DDR3/1600 memory, and 64GB, 128GB, or 256GB SSDs.

An 8-megapixel camera is mounted on the back, and there’s a 2-megapixel camera in the front. You can plug in a headset for video conferencing or media playback, and a full-size USB 3.0 port supports devices such as external hard drives. A MicroSD card reader can add an additional 64GB of on-the-go storage.
    Dell Venue Pro dockThis optional docking station can transform the 11-inch Venue Pro into a mini workstation, complete with USB 3.0 ports, HDMI and DisplayPort video outputs, and hardwired ethernet.

Most Venue 11 Pro models will ship with a Dell Wireless 1537 dual-band 802.11n Wi-Fi adapter, but models configured with Intel’s Core i5 with vPro CPU will have an Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 adapter on-board. Bluetooth 4.0 and Near Field Communication (NFC) will be supported. As with the Venue 8 Pro, mobile broadband options—HSPA+ or LTE—will also be available.

Depending on the configuration, the Venue 11 Pro will weigh either 1.57 or 1.76 pounds and will range in thickness from 0.4 to 0.6 inches. Dell expects the base model to be available in November and has priced it at $500. The company didn’t announce pricing for the higher-end SKUs or for the accessories.

3. Tourniquet

Tourniquet Scribbler - Standard Member

Is the 'Dell Active Stylus' a wacom or ntrig stylus?

4. dceggert

dceggert Moving 'up' from iPAQ Senior Member

The 8" with an active digitizer (especially Wacom) would be quite interesting indeed...

5. BurntOrngeLonghorn84

BurntOrngeLonghorn84 Scribbler - Standard Member

The dell website for these tablets is up:

Dell | Dell

6. Tourniquet

I think it should be a wacom digitizer. The 'old' Stylus is named 'Dell Wacom Active Stylus'.
    The new one 'Dell Active Stylus'. But i think N-Trig would be okay too, as long as it's not an Amtel thing :p

Edit:
    Oh the verge said it's a Synaptics stylus oO.

Source: theverge.com

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  7. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah I saw that and got confused, but the Dell press release says the stylus is great for drawing and note taking.

8. BurntOrngeLonghorn84

BurntOrngeLonghorn84 Scribbler - Standard Member

Here's a press release I found on Synaptics website, it doesn't mention palm rejection...

Synaptics ClearPad® S7500 Brings Large, High-Performance Touchscreens to Mainstream Notebook PCs and Premium Tablets | Synaptics

9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

They said that about the first generation N-Trig too.:rolleyes: I'm skeptical. Hopefully, it works fine. Great idea actually for synaptics to get into that market.

I wonder if Synaptics has licensed N-Trig hardware? The description sounds just like N-Trig's design and the pen looks nearly identical to an N-Trig pen. The 8" 16:10 tablet looks great and I predict a real winner here for Dell.

tonyz3 likes this.
  10. Mac Wilson

Mac Wilson Scribbler - Standard Member

I may want one.... Like now

11. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If I can get a Pentium model with 4gb of ram(8gb would be better), I could see this as my next device, specially since they have a keyboard dock with built in battery. Let's just hope the pen, and display(good colors, contrast, visibility, and viewing angles) are actually pretty good.

12. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Not 100% sure this is the same tech, but the video below shows a dell 'precision' touch screen that is stylus enabled. At 2:20 you see some hover inking with the tip of course obscured.. At least the lines don't look jagged.

Multimedia Center | Dell

13. fella1

fella1 Pen Pal - Newbie

Nice, Venue 11 Pro is definitely on my radar. Have to decide between the Surface Pro 2, Sony Vaio Flip and now this Dell. The Dell is actually leading for me because of the lighter weight than the SP2. If the price comes in less than the SP2 then it will probably be a done deal. The Vaio flip 13" size interests me also but I'm not thrilled with it's non-flat tablet mode. I also like the full size SD card option on the Flip. I've been without a tablet since my Samsung Smart PC Pro 700t got stolen about two months ago and its been hard waiting for the new Haswell options to come out. After all this waiting the Surface Pro 2 might win out just because it will be the first one on the block lol.

14. Bronsky

The pen has a battery. It sure looks like N-Trig technology. Has Synaptics knocked off the N-Trig?

15. cmergel

cmergel DBA by trade.

Venue 11 looks nice. Contacting my dell rep now to get my hands on one.

16. dceggert

dceggert Moving 'up' from iPAQ Senior Member

17. Tourniquet

18. MSGaldenzi

MSGaldenzi Scribbler - Standard Member

I am drooling over the 11. I love the fact that there are the different dock options. Although haswell seems great for something like this, I am really interested to see how bay trail works out. The "always on" factor plus most likely 1/3 better battery life would be a nice tradeoff for the added power, not to mention the lower price. I kinda laughed that dell is going private and look what pops up, products that are really really appealing (their laptops got a major bump too).

19. MikeOx

MikeOx Scribbler - Standard Member

If I can get a Venue 11 Pro with 8gb of RAM and a 256 SSD for $1100 tops including the Mobile keyboard that extends the battery (sold separately for $99) I'm sold, if it goes up to $1200 in that configuration I might as well make the jump towards the purchase of the SP2.

20. Bronsky

I noticed that it was 16:10 as well. It is the exact same resolution and aspect ratio as my Fuji in an 8" package. It looks really interesting. I am amazed at how similar the pen technology looks like N-Trig. I wonder if the company is licensing its technology to Synaptics? I have two issues with the device. Does the pen work? After N-Trig and Atmel issues in their first generations, I'm a bit gun shy. The other issue is that the keyboard is Bluetooth from that I can see on the 8 incher. Finally, I would need to see how Bay Trial performs in real world situations. But, with those reservations, this tablet looks really interesting.

I'm less interested in the 10.8. Why go to a 16:9 when they got it right with the 8 incher? For the price, etc., the SP2 is still the better device IMO.

Mesosphere and demandarin like this.