Dell Venue 8 and 11 Pro -- Stylus Problems and Possible Fixes....

Discussion in 'Dell' started by RomeoJunior, Nov 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. funkyGeneral

funkyGeneral Pen Pal - Newbie

It has been mentioned before, perhaps here or on another forum, about putting a ball of tinfoil behind the battery to help it get a better connection. I did this with some improvement, but found the pen would still sometimes stop working, and I would have to unscrew it and screw it back in. I thought it might be a dying battery problem, but I decided to put a little bit of tin foil on the positive terminal as well, and since then the pen has been writing continuously, and coming out of sleep state easily.

Hopefully this behavior will keep up. Someone suggested that the poor connections could be behind the pen not powering down properly and draining the battery. I will be watching to see if this is the case.

2. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think I saw this on an episode of the earlier television series MacGyver.

;)

3. funkyGeneral

funkyGeneral Pen Pal - Newbie

l don't know if you saw this same trick, but it definatly seems like something MacGyver would be proud of. Although, he would have included duct tape as well.

Anyways, I have been using the pen on and off for the last couple of hours, and if has been pretty consistent. It has always powered on with the touch of the button or a tap on the screen, anal has been writing accurately. , sometimes get the malfunction where it continues to write when lifted off the screen, but I can remedy that by pushing the nib in. It is not an ideal situation, but it is at least a grimmer of hope of what the system can be if Dell can figure out the hardware and firmware issues. Maybe they could use a little help from MacGyver.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  4. barkingmadman

barkingmadman Pen Pal - Newbie

I have not checked in for a while. Wow, lots of pen problems still. Glad to hear about new hardware end Feb or early March. I and I think I'll probably get that CITUS screen protector to provide some friction to my glass/pen interface. I'm still using the replacement pen they sent, but here's my update: Remember I had to keep the button facing down, right? Well after a lot of use and practice I found light pressure made it worse where it would not register full pen strokes and only parts of letters. It got annoying, so for kicks I got the tip from my old junky hover-clicky pen and put it in my new one. Wow! huge difference. Now I can write with button face up, down, sideways, whatever. But now there is a little more stray lines and curlies. I think that's a pretty clear indication that the two tips have vastly different sensitivity. The replacement pen tip simply was not as sensitive. Why it worked better with button down I still have no clue. Anyway, now I've been working with the first tip in the second pen, which is the best combination of the parts I have. I'm glad I didn't just chuck the old pen in the trash.

5. Avenger

Avenger Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for the review. I went ahead and ordered one. I hate the feel of the hard tipped stylus on the screen. Hopefully, this will help as you stated.

6. SAM 2013

SAM 2013 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

how is your battery life?

I stretched the spring out in the end and I
    think it got stretched too far.
    Now I have to unscrew it 1 turn to
    get it to write without stay lines.
    so stretching the spring for me did not help.

However, your suggestion to turn the button down
    when writing does help.

7. ashL

ashL Pen Pal - Newbie

[video=youtube;Gqzv4SSGKmM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqzv4SSGKmM[/video]
    I am not sure if my pen was defected.
    I did record a video on this newer stylus and I can't find this pen is anywhere near working condition.

crashsuit likes this.
  8. ashL

ashL Pen Pal - Newbie

I just called Dell customer support today see if they can find any solution is...
    and what I found hilarious is, they gave a "solution":
    -There is no way to fix the stylus "at moment", they can not provide any better ones out.
    -Therefore, there is no replacement, and I will be getting my refund.
    -Dell doesn't want this faulty pen back when I tried to ask how do I return it, they just simply said keep it...
    -End of the story.

So...

crashsuit likes this.
  9. MarvNY

MarvNY Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys,

Has anyone gotten any updates from Dell regarding this issue? I really like this tablet, but really justify it until the pen works properly.

Thanks!

10. Modred189

Modred189 Scribbler - Standard Member

I actually spoke to them today (I have an open problem case with them) about the availability of replacements. This was the first time they mentioned anything about a date:
    They expect the re-worked pens to ship within one to two weeks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.