Dell Venue 8 and 11 Pro -- Stylus Problems and Possible Fixes....

Discussion in 'Dell' started by RomeoJunior, Nov 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raycosm

raycosm Pen Pal - Newbie

Ordered mine on 12/15 and got it 12/18, and it STILL has the hover click issue. It's pretty much definitely a hardware issue, because I removed the tip and put it back in, which sometimes gets it to work. But the issue comes back after a while and reinserting the tip only works sometimes. I haven't gotten to work again since the last time it crapped out (last night). Shame on Dell/Synaptics for shipping such a crappy stylus!

crashsuit likes this.
  2. tonyz3

tonyz3 Scribbler - Standard Member

Have you tried this fix== it seemed to work for some people. http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/dell/59959-dell-venue-8-pro-active-stylus-fix-me-least.html

crashsuit likes this.
  3. sj3vans

sj3vans Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks DPrice7!
    Running your test program shows me that I do indeed have problems with the stylus I received on 12/30/13. The box said Oct 2013 A00 so sounds like they are still giving out the same one.

When I approach the screen with my stylus in the test program, the crosshairs jump all around and start to mark the page even when its an inch away. I also see the button 1 indicator jumping like crazy. I like the way your program can shown the differing pressure levels and make adjustments. Dell should pay you some big bucks to save their butts and write an improved driver with those kinds of tweaks available!

crashsuit likes this.
  4. gregoryx

gregoryx Scribbler - Standard Member

Third pen is a charm.

First pen was the messy auto clicking stuff.
    Lost the tip for that one and Dell sent another pen.

Worked MUCH better but it was eating batteries and it would stop working and I'd have to unscrew it and then it would work again for a while. When it worked, I could finally use One Note as long us I wrote big enough. And power cycled the pen regularly.

Dell sent another one.

It's been working well for a couple of weeks. It's still no Wacom. It still has little tails on everything which makes handwriting less reliable, but I'm using it now.

Different pen made the difference.

crashsuit likes this.
  5. bladerunner0427

bladerunner0427 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a properly functioning active stylus. However, I can't figure out what the button does. It's supposed to activate the eraser function in OneNote, but nothing happens when I push on the button. If I push the lower portion of the button, a circle appears where the stylus is hovering. If I push the top portion, nothing happens. I assume, it's a dual-action button depending if you press on the top of bottom. Can anyone clarify what other functions the button is supposed to serve?

6. geekydevjoe

geekydevjoe Pen Pal - Newbie

POSSIBLE SOLUTION

I also have the DV8 and the stylus and I HAD the same issues as others. I did the firmware update to the device and the touch panel firmware update. My battery (energizer) died after a week of non-use. I didn't test it before I first started using it so I don't know what its status was before.

I replaced the battery with one from RadioShack (enercell). At first it didn't work. Looking at the pen when you take it apart the + part of the battery doesn't touch the connecting side of the stylus. It's inset and so it has a hard time reaching it. It dawned on me that what is happening is it is getting intermittent connections with the battery and thus we get that jumpiness and clickiness and that's why the batteries are dying so quick.

My replacement battery couldn't reach the + side so I looked around for some metal to connect it. I found a spring like that of a pen (about 1/4 to 1/2 inch in length). I screwed it into the lower part of the stylus and put the new battery in. Now it works perfectly. Now jumpiness, no click happy stylus. Just complete smoothness.

So it is a design flaw that seems to be causing the problem. The battery can't properly reach the connectors.

7. Feralboy

Feralboy Scribbler - Standard Member

I finally received a good stylus a couple days ago. Last night I received a follow-up call from Dell to see how the pen is working.I explained that the pen now worked, but there were still some quirks and I was still dealing with some minor hovering issues.

Writing notes in OneNote is pretty good now, but it still occasionally writes on hover. Ink isn't as smooth as Wacom, but for the first time it seems like it may get there. if they combine to work on it.

Using the tip is a decent, while not perfect, experience.

Tapping icons on the desktop is decent, but still marred by double-tops and selections on hover from time to time.

Here's the important part. After noting that my pen was from the same lot as the bad one I the rep said the development team is working on a new pen that will be available at the end of February or the first week of March! This was exciting. and unexpected news!

dceggert likes this.
  8. raycosm

raycosm Pen Pal - Newbie

For those of you experiencing tailing, I bought a CITUS ArmorTec matte screen protector, and my pen which had both hover clicking issue and tailing on 1/2/2014 firmware has had the tailing greatly reduced, although hover clicking is still present (it seems slightly reduced also, but I can still reproduce it so I'm not going to say that the screen protector makes a big difference).

Tailing has definitely been reduced to a non-existent level with a screen protector compared to just plain glass, with both writing done on 1/2/2014 drivers. It's possible that the extra fraction of a millimeter of thickness combined with the softened impact of the tip against the screen and the additional friction over smooth glass greatly reduced tailing. The texture of the pen against the matte screen protector also feels great compared to uncovered hard glass; the added friction almost feels like pencil against paper, although slightly more slippery.

The problem with the CITUS ArmorTec however is the amount of graininess and dimness that is introduced with a matte protector. Granted, any matte protector is probably going to introduce graininess; my Power Support Moto X protector even has graininess, but doesn't dim as badly as the ArmorTec. It might annoy people who plan watching a lot of TV and movies on the tablet, but for someone who uses the tablet for ink notes in school, I don't mind as much and the signature matte glare reduction is helpful for mitigating the glare caused by ceiling lights.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
    crashsuit likes this.
  9. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks for the news--interesting--

10. dwx

dwx Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm not surprised, they have kind of hinted at that in their own forums. Also they have to come out with revised hardware, it's not like they are going to keep sending out the same pens where maybe 1/3rd work correctly.

I found the screen protector helped a little bit as well. The added friction kept tails from happening more often and it helped deaden the tapping noise of the stylus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.