Dell Venue 8 and 11 Pro -- Stylus Problems and Possible Fixes....

Discussion in 'Dell' started by RomeoJunior, Nov 3, 2013.

1. barkingmadman

barkingmadman Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow. Okay, last night I wrote that I wasn't holding my breath for my replacement pen, but it sure did show up this afternoon. And it's a huge difference. The hover clicking is hmmm, totally eliminated, I think, it sure seems like it but I want to try it in action a couple of days before I begin to trust it. But, yes, huge improvement with the hover clicking. I can actually tap and hold for a right click on a cell in Excel, have enough precision to hit the down arrow on the fill color menu, hover over colors and sample WITHOUT getting a false click, and then drop down and click the color I want precisely. None of that worked with any reliability with the old pen. I was able to repeat it a half dozen times just now without fail. Stray lines, 90% gone. Battery drain? Again, I'll need a few days to know for sure. The lines are still wavy. No improvement there. But I was prepared to accept that, knowing that my handwriting stinks anyway, and the handwriting recognition does a great job anyway.

Here's the odd thing (and pay attention you folks who are getting pen replacements): when I took it out and first started using it I thought it was just another POS. It would only register half of my pen stroke. Yes, half! I mean upward strokes would register but downward no. Yikes? But in playing around with it I rotated the pen and magically it started working great. Here's the thing: with the button facing up it's horrible. Downward facing button, good. Don't ask me why. But if you get a replacement pen and it does not work for you try rotating it before you despair. I'm an engineer by trade, and this fact fascinates me. But I don't want to try and figure it out, I just want it to work. And for me a downward facing button is no issue. So for me this pen exchange was a success (again, pending a thorough work out over the next couple of days).

crashsuit likes this.
  2. funkyGeneral

funkyGeneral Pen Pal - Newbie

I ordered two tablets, and two pens. One of the pens worked wonderfully, the other was garbage, and started clicking about an inch from the screen. Its hard to tell if the wonky pen's tip stuck out a little further from the other pen. This assures me that poor pen production is a major factor in pen quality. Though I do think the pens can be much unproved with further firmware updates. Especially adjustable settings.

But I must admit, the handwriting recognition is pretty sweet when the pen actually works.

3. BellevuePaul

BellevuePaul Pen Pal - Newbie

Got another notice this morning that my stylus is going to be delayed another week, now due on Dec 19. They must be having a lot of trouble making these things, or fixing the problems.

4. Modred189

Modred189 Scribbler - Standard Member

My folio order was delayed from today to Wednesday. My Stylus is due tomorrow, but I'm not holding my breath...

5. pfontaine2

pfontaine2 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'd like to think that a certain amount of re-engineering is happening. Either the basic design is flawed or else the quality control was non-existent. I hope they don't realize too late that there are fundamental flaws that can't be fixed without a change in hardware.

I'm desperately interested in purchasing one of these tablets but have held off until I hear definitely that the stylus problem has been fixed. I have a Samsung ATIV 500t tablet which works well, partly because the Wacom digitizer works flawlessly. The tablet itself is a bit pokey however and was hoping that this 8" form factor coupled with a faster processor and an active digitizer would result in a killer tablet. I'm so close to hitting that "buy" button but now it seems I'm going to wait until I hear feedback on the stylus fix.

6. I_Am_Me

I_Am_Me Pen Pal - Newbie

Could you give us the build date and rev number of the pen. It's on the box. Both my original and replacement were Oct 2013, REV A00.

Thanks.

7. barkingmadman

@I_AM_ME: My new pen box says Rev A00 Oct 2013. Not sure what my old pen box said, as I threw it away weeks ago.

crashsuit likes this.
  8. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Keep in mind that you will hear mostly from those having trouble. My pen worked from day 1.

9. barkingmadman

I've used my replacement pen for 9 days of heavy use. It's a closed case in my opinion. Hover click is gone, no battery drain, stray lines are vastly minimized. I have moved on, actually using it and gaining skill. It'll take months, maybe years, with a pen before I can use it as well as a mouse. But my experience now is that the pen itself is not holding me back any more. I have tried high precision actions in Excel like cell drags, autofill, chart format, menu picks, right clicks, etc. My main problems are that I cannot place or lift the pen vertically reliably, so high precision stuff is still hard to do. My friend told me the of lack of friction between the pen and glass can cause my remaining stray lines, and he's probably right. Actually there are things I still am doing with my finger, and I'm probably getting in bad habits early...I should probably just force myself to use the pen features all the time to practice. Have you ever tried to use a mouse for precision work with your left hand? That's how I feel now with the pen. I'll get better at it.

I don't know what Dell fixed, but I think my replacement pen is now working as it was designed to. It's not perfect, but neither am I. :) And to get this good of a pen for use with a $300 tab and full Excel is well worth the price.

crashsuit likes this.
  10. barkingmadman

Oh, but I forgot to mention that I still have to use it with the button facing down. Still don't know why, but it's no issue for me.