Dell Venue 8 and 11 Pro -- Stylus Problems and Possible Fixes....

Discussion in 'Dell' started by RomeoJunior, Nov 3, 2013.

1. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

Can you guys upload a sample of these notes with the updated firmware/driver? Might just return the Surface Pro for the venue if the problem is fixed or is at an acceptable standard for reading notes.

2. crashsuit

crashsuit Pen Pal - Newbie

Ditto for me, but for any drawing work done in Photoshop, Manga Studio, ArtRage, etc. I'm this close to buying a Venue Pro 11, but I'm waiting to see whether inking/drawing works okay.

--posted from my phone

3. I_Am_Me

I_Am_Me Pen Pal - Newbie

Someone else posted that the pen/screen is overly sensitive and that having it in the case stylus loop was actually close enough to trigger palm rejection. If that's the case, the stylus might be "active" while it's sitting in the holster.

Question: Do you also have phantom clicks while hovering? I wonder if those who have really bad battery drain are having horrible hover clicks because if the pen is clicking that means it's using the battery, even off screen.

4. fatxander

fatxander Scribbler - Standard Member

Somebody else did that today in the Venue 8 Pro owners' thread. There's basically two discussions going on about this same topic, here in this thread and in that thread. Anyway, good screencap of handwriting so head over there. ;)

5. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Got some new batteries at a Walgreens but no luck, pen stops working within minutes of use. Think i'll exchange it and see if that fixes it, if not ill just do without the pen.

6. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Just for grins, twist the threaded barrel a few times, pull the tip in and out, then push the buttons and see if the pen works It sounds funny but on the N-trig pens we had surfaced corrosion that would build up on the surfaces of the contacts and make the pen unusable. By doing some of the above it would 'clean' the electrical contact surfaces at revive the pen. Some were worse than others and I wonder if this may be happening with this pen also.

7. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

Just installed the firmware update. It is MAGIC! Almost fixed everything! I own a Wacom tablet, and N-trig DuoSense 2 tablet, and now this Dell puppy finally matches against its competitors in terms of effectiveness. It is by no means as perfection seeking as Wacom or N-trig 2, but it gets my daily notetaking and doodling done surprisingly well - nothing you would expect from this gem at such a low cost. Blimey, I spent over $900 on a Clovertrail Wacom tablet (Asus Vivotab)!

Here was what I observed -

1. The update won't fix the hovering clicking. I have two Dell active styluses - one has hovering clicking defect (will be returned) and one hasn't. The update won't fix the one with hovering clicking. It does seems that Dell has a quality control issue on the pen since so many people (includes me) observe hovering clicking. So IF YOUR PEN CLICKS WHILE HOVERING, EXCHANGE IT! No software could cure the hardware defect.

2. Pressure sensitivity - Before the update, pressure did not register fully as it should be - even with maximum actual pressure it only registered somewhat 1/10th of the pressure or lower. That's why it's causing 'dashed' or 'not solid' lines/writings whenever pressure sensitivity was applied. That included Onenote/Windows Journal (dashed/edged) ,Freshpaint (some small brushes could not be used because they did not receive enough pressure sensitivity to trigger an output, bigger brushes only triggered barely enough output to be visible compared to your finger), sketchbook express (no pressure). Now after the update, all those issues were gone! Pressure curve is beautiful everywhere. Note-taking apps are no longer dashed/edged with pressure on, and Freshpaint/Sketchbook is fully functional with all brushes and pressure. Only gripe is that eraser works with all these programs except Onenote:(. But somebody has points out that you can turn on 'scratches' to erase your notes.

3. Vectoring - depends on what program you use. Note Anytime and Sketchbook express - no vectoring (drawing circles); Freshpaint/Onenote/Journal - yes. Apparently it's a software issue. Have yet to test that in ArtRage or CSP. Note Anytime has the most amazing writing experience (if you do want to test just how good your pen could write)

Overall, I'm more than pleased with the performance of the stylus. Yes, it does not output anything near the perfect strokes/writings, but it does brings you a light heart when you write - you know what your writing should be like, and there it is, though it may look different, but by no mistake it's your writing you want it to be.

8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Found this video on one of the other threads here:

[video=youtube;ANUYRzAwJQI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ANUYRzAwJQI[/video]

DC - is this the kind of performance you are getting - looks pretty stable to me...

9. pfontaine2

pfontaine2 Pen Pal - Newbie

Could anyone please post of video showing the stylus responsiveness and pressure sensitivity in an art program. Freshpaint would be great but a program like ArtRage, Manga Studio or even Photoshop would be fantastic. Photoshop doesn't register pressure on Ntrig tablets, only on tablets with a Wacom digitizer (though they are supposedly working on fixing this). Still I am very curious about this and really am loving what I'm seeing in the Dell products at this point.
    Thanks!
    Pierre

10. funkyGeneral

funkyGeneral Pen Pal - Newbie

So are you thinking of taking it out for a third try? Or are you twice bitten once shy?