Dell venue 11 Pro i5 overclockED !

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Martin Demin, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Andraz

Andraz Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello, and first I need to say that I am glad someone OC this tablet because it is really slow for what does it's components have to offer.

But please can someone make a how-to-video or idiot-prof-tutorial for this OC?

It will make me really happy :)

Thank you :)
    A.R.

2. Scale

Scale Pen Pal - Newbie

So i did some testing and found a new method for unlocked TDP while plugged in!! This is on my DV11 i3 running A14.

So first i'll post my most important discovery first ;)
    Using Dell's power command i set the charging scheme to custom and made it not charge above 55%.
    Basically stopping it from charging while plugged it. Voila high tdp while plugged in.

If you had unlocked tdp and plug in (even when set to not charge) you have to sleep the system again to unlock again.

I don't know where i got this but for some reason i though i only had to apply the mods marked with a *, this was wrong. It would unlock PL0 and PL1 i believe but the register at fed159a0 didn't change to 00DC000.

These are all the mods i applied:

* 0xD0E 0x01 0x00 ; Package power limit lock
    * 0x54 0x01 0x00 ; Platform power limit lock
    * 0xD04 0x01 0x00 ; CFG lock
    * 0xD0D 0x01 0x00 ; VR Current value lock
    * 0x39 0x00 0x00 ; Configurable TDP lock
    * 0x23 0x20 0x10 ; TCC activation offset
    0x2F 0x00 0x31 ; cpu power limit 1 , no effect
    0x31 0x00 0xff ; cpu power limit1 time
    0x30 0x00 0x32 ; cpu power limit 2
    * 0x3A 0x00 0x10 ; Config TDP lock
    * 0x75 0x01 0x00 ; BIOS lock
    * 0x77 0x01 0x00 ; BIOS interface lock
    0x1F2 0x00 0x01 ; GT overclocking support
    0xDB9 0x01 0x00 ; Mc Lock
    0xBB8 0x00 0x01 ; DBTF
    0xCD3 0x00 0x01 ; CS PL1 limit
    0xBE2 0x01 0x00 ; CLPO performacnce control
    0xBDD 0x01 0x00 ; CLPO enable

Many thanks to martin for making it all possible and uncleweb for his awesome throttlestop tool.

3. Moist

Moist Pen Pal - Newbie

This is awesome news! cannot wait to try it! Could you please be a little more specific as to what each column of values represents?

4. Scale

Scale Pen Pal - Newbie

That text comes from the OP's post mods.txt it's structed as follows:

address - current value - new value

So for example given: 0xD0E 0x01 0x00

the command: "setup_var 0xD0E" should return 0x01
    Then the command "setup_var 0xD0E 0x00" should change the value to 0x00

Moist likes this.
  5. Denzel

Denzel Pen Pal - Newbie

I know b
    I honestly couldn't agree more. I know it may be a hassle but I would love for someone to take the time to just explain in moderate detail what you guys are doing to overclock this tablet. I am hoping to boost CPU speeds to that decent enough to run games on medium settings. Heck i'd pay for a guide if it came to it.

6. Scale

Scale Pen Pal - Newbie

I would like to help, but the method i use is with a self modified throttle stop (because beta 3 expired). And since i don't own throttle stop i cannot go around spreading it.

7. jsherm101

jsherm101 Pen Pal - Newbie

Any idea if it will work with XTU instead of throttlestop for those who don't play around the beta expiration?

8. Denzel

Denzel Pen Pal - Newbie

Oh I see. Well if anyone knows of an alternate method and would like to help it would be much appreciated.

9. Denzel

Denzel Pen Pal - Newbie

After searching around more I found this thread on Dell. There is a more comprehensive guide in there. It should also be noted that because we can no longer use the throttle stop 7 method, Bar-Edit needs to re-edited each reboot. This is explained in the thread.

HERE

10. jhax01

jhax01 Pen Pal - Newbie

Just throwing in my 2 cents. At least for me, Bar-Edit is not needed at all. I'm on a DV11P core i5 model 7139 A14 bios. The only NVRAM changes I applied were the following:

* 0xD0E 0x01 0x00 ; Package power limit lock
    * 0x54 0x01 0x00 ; Platform power limit lock
    * 0xD04 0x01 0x00 ; CFG lock
    * 0xD0D 0x01 0x00 ; VR Current value lock
    * 0x39 0x00 0x00 ; Configurable TDP lock
    * 0x23 0x20 0x10 ; TCC activation offset
    * 0x3A 0x00 0x10 ; Config TDP lock

I have not used Bar-Edit or ThrottleStop, but instead only Intel XTU to modify PL1 as well as make some undervolting changes and the mod works just fine for me. Albeit with the only condition that it doesn't function while the battery is in a charging state. Everything is persistent across reboots, etc, with the one exception being when the charge state changes, then it requires that I cycle through sleep mode to unlock PL1 again. My only guess is the wimpy power supply just doesn't have the juice and Dell has it set this way to prevent even short term turbo-ing past 6W while charging.

Where the DV11 really suffers is in the cooling system unfortunately and when power throttled at 6W, it barely outperforms the atom version. In an effort to deal with the additional power, I've applied an aftermarket thermal paste (antec nano diamond) and removed the mesh from the vents on the top edge. The paste has lowered idle temps, but I'm not sure it has mattered much under load; however, removal of the mesh *did* make a difference, at least anecdotally. And by that I mean, I've been playing COD Advanced Warfare and prior to the cooling changes, the temp would bump the 84C limit set above and thermal throttling would cause all sorts of hiccups. After removing the mesh, the temps stay at 79/80C while playing with no thermal throttling whatsoever. YMMV, of course. I have some copper plating and am going to attempt to add some additional mass to the heatsink to see if that lowers the temps under load just a bit more. I imagine that will only work if the heatpipe has a bit of efficiency left to capture. I'll report back if it helps.