Dell venue 11 Pro i5 overclockED !

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Martin Demin, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Chrischi1988

Chrischi1988 Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, who cares for noise, if all you want is the power, while the board is not frying :)

2. Martin Demin

Martin Demin Pen Pal - Newbie

At least they could have offered a choice ! There could have been at least three choices for SDP associated with 3 noise levels.

3. Chrischi1988

So true. Especially if ypu look at the Surface Pro 3 with i3 Y Series CPU. Yes, the i3 Versio is Y series. It performs better in most games, than our i5 does and that is an insult in my eyes.

Dell made the Dell Command Power Manager 2.0, which is nice, it is supposed to have better power and heat controls, but non of them actually work.

We all know it is not meant for gaming, but this problem is not exclusive to gaming. It would just be nice to feel the difference, when getting an i5, even if it is Y series.

4. jsherm101

jsherm101 Pen Pal - Newbie

I can confirm that on my end. I plugged in an AC adapter to reset the settings. BAR edit even showed that the registry entry switched back from 00000000 - I then reloaded XTU, set to 11W, and sleep - awoke the device. Looks like Bar Edit isn't needed if you close XTU, re open it, and then properly suspend and wake your device.

The real question now is why the charging state affects it! If we can get this working without that it'd be a whole lot more convenient to run.

5. PhytochromeFr

PhytochromeFr Pen Pal - Newbie

It seems working, but it doesn't. In XTU, Power limit value is consistent after reboot. but throttling come back silently. Power limit Setting in XTU doesn't works. Only Throttlestop works.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  6. mxmxmx

mxmxmx Pen Pal - Newbie

Martin - very cool.... thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2015
  7. Martin Demin

Martin Demin Pen Pal - Newbie

Two things I have noticed:
    1. The XTU can be used, but you have to apply the first setting, then suspend-resume and reapply the settings(restart program?, change profile back and forth)
    2. When you plug the tablet to 5V 2A charger (not the dell 19V), the CPU is throttled to ~200MHz, you can't even playback a movie. WhoTF came up with this schema ??? I know it can't operate from 10W power supply, but why throttle it down ???

8. PhytochromeFr

PhytochromeFr Pen Pal - Newbie

Haswell ULT flatform(include mem, ssd storage) can work at around 5W at minimum clock. and suppress display's usage under 5W, it can works on 10W adaptor.

9. Chrischi1988

Hey, has anyone yet tried this with the new A14 Bios Update?

10. bwhxeon

bwhxeon Pen Pal - Newbie

Edited my post, figured everything out mostly.

I am curious if anyone that followed the guide on the first page modified the fan trigger points? They aren't marked with a * in the mod.txt file.

Also I'm not sure if I did the correct settings with bar.edit. The guide doesn't say to save or write the new value.

Also does anyone else have issues after resuming from sleep? My wifi doesn't come back on after resuming and I had to restart my computer.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015