Dell venue 11 Pro i5 overclockED !

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Martin Demin, Jan 2, 2015.

1. PhytochromeFr

PhytochromeFr Pen Pal - Newbie

7130 MS(not vPro) Won't enter Sleep(ACPI S1-S3 State) mode. It capable Connected Standby(=InstantGo). that makes device always stanby mode. exactly, when screen off it enter S0i3(Low Power S0 idle) State.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  2. PhytochromeFr

PhytochromeFr Pen Pal - Newbie

i tested this on 7130 vPro i5-4300Y 4GB. It works very very well. i set power limit to 15W, CPU's clock is always sustained over 1.6Ghz and GPU boost much higher than before.

Attached Files:

3. Chrischi1988

Chrischi1988 Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, it is an integrated graphics card and the throttling is the bottleneck, not the graphics unit. You can clearly see that, as the graphics unit gets throttled down to 450MHz, while it can run at 850MHz, but doesnt, as the CPU is limited to 6W. These 6W are for CPU and GPU, so increasing the SDP will automatically give more juice to the CPU and GPU, resulting in much more power. You can see that in games like Diablo3 for example, it runs at like 45 FPS for half a minute, then throttles and gets barely 20 FPS. So the GPU is clearly not the bottleneck, but the 6W SDP. The 6W SDP is also not for any kind of safety for the device, it is to safe batterylife, as a device like this is supposed to run longer, but who cares about that, if the AC is plugged in and you want to game something on it. This is also why I think the term overclocking is not the best for this, as this is more like freeing the true potential. OC would be more like increasing the GHz of the CPU to something, that it normally couldnt do.

Oh man, it is so great that this is possible. I really start to love that device!

4. jsherm101

jsherm101 Pen Pal - Newbie

Exactly. Not sure why he said this wouldn't help the GPU bottleneck. You can use XTU and see with a boost to 11 W you're basically doubling the amount of power your GPU gets, making it perform like the true 4200 HD graphics that it is.

5. avs.andrew

avs.andrew Pen Pal - Newbie

It finally worked. I've turned off Connected Standby with RegEdit and repeated procedure with bar-edit. And it worked. I definitely see increase in CPU/GPU frequencies while setting higher turboboost power. With additional cooling, 10W for TB and -50mV CPU and -50mV cache I found my working maximum (on the screenshot there is a CPU stress and FurMark running)

Screenshot (3).png 20150106_090340_sm.jpg 20150106_090351_sm.jpg

6. Martin Demin

Martin Demin Pen Pal - Newbie

I have also modded mine for better cooling, I can squeeze some 2W more with this cooling :)
    I set the temperature back to 68 degrees, I want it to last longer.

Also it seems the BarEdit might not be necessary when you use the XTU utility. Just the suspend-resume step is needed. We still have to work around that one.

Attached Files:

7. Chrischi1988

Just curious, what did you do to improve cooling? I read in some Surface Pro 3 forum, that people bought an external USB fan and let it run somewhere behind the CPU, but outside of the case, but I wonder how much that will do...

8. Martin Demin

I replaced the 0.03 mm metal sheet that did not touch the CPU with a 0.5mm copper sheet that touches CPI and dissipates heat.

Chrischi1988 likes this.
  9. Chrischi1988

Hey, nice idea :)

10. Martin Demin

I am currently trying to increase fan speed, the maximum rpm is at least 7700 rpm, but the system uses only rpms to 5200. You can use the speedfan with enabled dell option to control it, BUT the SMM always resets the value to its choice.