Dell venue 11 Pro i5 overclockED !

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Martin Demin, Jan 2, 2015.

1. NTMBK

NTMBK Pen Pal - Newbie

Could you point me towards which specific set of BIOS switches you used? I'm just worried I'll grab ones for the wrong BIOS version :) Thanks for the help!

2. rluker5

rluker5 Pen Pal - Newbie

I've got the same cpu and story as that last guy. 4300y and the 16 bios. I did all of the settings on this site: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/mobile-devices/f/3824/t/19576995
    A bios update or removing the battery clears them and you have to reenter them. The unreasonable thermal limit is gone right off the bat and I just set the power limit up high, usually 15w in xtu and let the raised thermal limit control what throttling is left. It only hits these if I max uot the cpu gaming. I turn down the power settings if my daughter wants better battery.
    A tip for the quick sleep cycling: stop ongoing bluetooth communications like a mouse first and it behaves better.

3. Miroslaw Marciniak

Miroslaw Marciniak Pen Pal - Newbie

hi guys its any way to set higher temperature for fan to start spinning?I tried that couple bios hex values but they dont seems to bw working its starts about 57 degree

4. Grima04

Grima04 Pen Pal - Newbie

I bought this tablet a month ago (Core i5 4300y with 8GB RAM) and was really shocked about how slow this tablet was with the 6 watt TDP limit. After modding the bios and setting the TDP to 12 watts everything is smooth. GTA 4 is running at 25-40 FPS and Minecraft with some low spec shaders at 25-35 FPS. However GTA 5 is lagging alot with framerates of 15-20. I think that this is due to the low clockspeed of the iGPU with ~800 MHz (because Intel HD's 4xxx are normaly perfectly able to run GTA 5 with some commandline mods) . Is there any way to get the iGPU running at ~1200 MHz? In XTU unlike my desktop PC with a HD 4600 there is no OC option. How can I unlock the iGPU OC option?

5. wyx_100

wyx_100 Pen Pal - Newbie

You helped this noob here! thanks a lot!

6. 2VP

2VP Pen Pal - Newbie

Dear Experts and Enthusiasts alike, your help in educating me with this situation would be very much appreciated (I found the link to this thread from Dell's forum):

Summary:
    I woke up this 6/6/16 to the swollen battery, things have gone south since. Eventually sleep mode failed. Then currently IETU gives error.

Story:
    The swollen battery was likely due to overcharging from leaving it running overnight downloading / battery age etc.
    After discarding swollen battery and while waiting for a replacement battery, the 7130 ran plugged in alone.

Things were fine this way until last night when I got home: instead of wake-from-sleep, it reboots.
    This is (possibly temporarily) fixed by plugging in the battery.

However, a 2nd problem arises:
    I can no longer adjust Turbo Boost's Extended Duration Maximum Power;

The following are incidents from 6/6 to 6/10 that I could remember that are possibly relevant:

• Use 7130 plugged in without battery
    • Set All lid-closing while-plugged-in options to [Hibernate]
    • Plug and fully charge new battery
    • Set Dell Command | Power Manager Battery Setting to ExpressCharge (it reverted back to Adaptive eventually; or maybe I did it myself...)
    • Remove new battery
    • Set Hibernate to only the power button while plugged in. Everything else Sleep.
    • At a school's lab: I forgot and connected ethernet cable to 7130 via a USB hub, then boot up, enter PXE boot console screen by accident (fist time).
    • Manually forced shutdown, unplugged ethernet cable, rebooted fine.
    • Hibernated with power button, left school lab.
    • Wake from hibernating fine at home fine

Up until this point there was no sleep, nor Intel Extreme Tuning issue noticed.

• It is once I got 7130 to sleep in order to activate adjusted IETU profile however:
    it reboots from sleep (black Dell splash screen; all opened Windows/apps gone) instead of waking up as usual.

• I have tried restarting, shutting down, switching lid-close options between Hibernate-Sleep to no avail.
    • I noticed a bunch of Administrative event's critical errors from kernel power "...rebooted without shutting down first..."
    • Before thinking about messing with the BIOS, I snapped in the new battery, unplugged all connected cables (USB hub, power, HDMI):
      • it boot up to "Invalid Configuration information - please run SETUP program.
      • Time-of-day not set - please run SETUP program...."
      • I presseed the volumeUp key to continue. It boots into Window. Wake-from-sleep is back.

• However, IETU does not comply:
      • Extended power is limited to 6W;
      • most fields grayed out;
      • I got an error when trying to propose an existing profile with Extended power at 11W

As you could imagine, this means that all activities the extra 5W could afford are now gone (eg. I was able to drive a 4K TV running 3D apps/games/videos at 11W for as long as hours prior to this)

Should I make some changes in BIOS, or doing this mod all over gain ? I don't really know.

Please advise and thanks a lot in advance for any pointers !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. rluker5

rluker5 Pen Pal - Newbie

To 2VP
    It might be a battery that isn't connecting well. Maybe if you fiddle with it's positioning a bit to make sure it is in just right it will help. If the battery loses it's connection, sleep will be dumped and the tablet will have to start cold. Also my 7130 loses all of the bios adjustments I typed in whenever it completely loses power so that would explain your ietu graying out too. Even happened to me after I just left it idle for like a month. I got that run setup stuff too.
    I just type them in again and everything is normal again.
    Total power loss might explain your power settings reverting back to default too - maybe the bios defaults, I don't feel like reentering the bios adjustments, so I won't verify this.
    But the battery fit is easy to check, maybe you just bumped it good enough to break the connection for a bit.
    Hope things work out, and I hope my battery doesn't swell too.

8. andy_sym

andy_sym Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all.

I have a second hand 7139 and performed this mod and everything is looking good so far but has anyone tried this on the A20 bios that's now available or later than A16 which seems to be the last one mentioned here?

Thanks

9. fast12

fast12 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, I have A20 bios too. Can i use only throttlestop 8.3 without grub edit?

10. Mokona512

Mokona512 Pen Pal - Newbie

Were you able to get it to work with just throttlestop?

Due to the higher power requirement, of the CPU, the core i5 4300y ends up performing slower than the core i3 4020y when it comes to some web based video content, since use of CPU rendering and GPU acceleration causes the CPU to run at under 1GHz in order to stay within the 6 watt limit.