Dell venue 11 Pro i5 overclockED !

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Martin Demin, Jan 2, 2015.

1. GearsPowered

GearsPowered Pen Pal - Newbie

Just a heads up to folks who may run into the same issue I had.

Im running windows 10 and it wouldn't boot the grub shell. I had to format my usb using rufus with the following settings.

-Parition scheme and target system type to GPT

- File System to FAT32(default)

After that, it booted like a charm.

I know all the experienced members know this, this is just for newbies like me who had some issues and had to dig for an answer.

wyx_100 likes this.
  2. Darrecky

Darrecky Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello!

I'm struggling to get any difference after mods. CPU is still throttling :( I've boot the tablet into grub, applied 3 tweaks, booted to Win, run TS 8 and changed TPL to 12 and 15 - so exact as guide couple posts back. After running AIDA64 stability test my Package Power in TS8 drops to 6.8-7.0W :( What am I doing wrong?
    My tablet is 7130 vPro with i5 4300, Bios v16 and Win 10. Cheers

Attached Files:

3. danallraj

danallraj Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi All, The grub mod does not seem to be working for me (i5-4300y, 8GB, A16, Win10). When I run XTU CPU stress tess, the Core TDP will jump to max of 7W and 1.99GHz for a few seconds before settling down to 3W and around 1.3GHz. I even tried the modified the memory space using BarEdits step but still the same XTU results. I've set power option to high performance as well. Appreciate if someone can see where I might be going wrong. Thanks.

4. Ieronim

Ieronim Pen Pal - Newbie

Are you on battery power, or on AC but not currently charging? Otherwise it won't work.

5. Darrecky

Darrecky Pen Pal - Newbie

I was on battery power as guide says. No difference

6. Ieronim

Ieronim Pen Pal - Newbie

It works for me, by just doing those 3 steps I described, but I have the i5-4210y (supports Connected Standby, does not have vPro). Your 4300y might be different enough to break this (it supports vPro, for one thing).

I wonder if anyone got it going this way with an i5-4300y.

7. danallraj

danallraj Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for your reply. Yes, it's a vPro model. I'm really hoping that is not the case here. Appreciate any i5-4300y users to let us know your results whether successful or not. Thanks.

8. GearsPowered

I have the 4300y edition and I'm not getting TDP throttled with ThrottleStop 8 beta 6.

Just ran the 1024M benchmark with no throttling (it hovered around 9w the whole time). I did notice that after I ran the grub a week later it acted like there was a rollback, so I had to re-modify it.

I followed leronims directions (including putting it to sleep after running it the first time) and it works like a charm.

9. Ieronim

Ieronim Pen Pal - Newbie

The Grub mod should not roll back on its own unless the NVRAM loses power completely (main battery flat, CMOS battery bad). A bad CMOS battery can be masked by the presence of the main battery. I've had two dead CMOS batteries in my two Venues so far, so the odds are pretty good...

Try this: remove the main battery (with AC disconnected). Wait a minute or two. Replace battery. When you power up, you shouldn't get any CMOS-related errors (date/time, Setup changed etc). If you do, you know why...

10. GearsPowered

Yep my CMOS battery is toast.

I'm hoping it's rather easy to replace it. I'm assuming it's under the little panel with the single screw?