Dell venue 11 Pro i5 overclockED !

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Martin Demin, Jan 2, 2015.

1. rundll32

rundll32 Pen Pal - Newbie

You also have to do the bar edit correctly or it doesnt work... my gpu will hold 850mhz until 93 degrees "like you said you set the temp with the 0x23 grub value, i mention what value i set it too a few pages ago" also mine is set to 16watt and no short term crap just constant 16watt.. when all set up correctly it will run rage @ 720p at 45 - 60 fps on average "dips a little lower whilst in a vehicle but never below 35fps.. im temped to make a vid of it done correctly but time is something im short of

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

2. Ieronim

Ieronim Pen Pal - Newbie

You're right about the GPU. Today I finally managed to unleash it as well. Steps 1-2-3 in my post above are still valid if you only care about the CPU not throttling down under sustained load, and the nice part is that they don't require disabling Connected Standby, and it doesn't matter if the tablet is charging or not.

To get the GPU to stay at 850MHz indefinitely under load, I had to do these extra steps:

4. Make sure Connected Standby is off. If it's not, turn it off in the registry and redo Step 3.
    5. Tablet should be on battery power, or on AC but not currently charging.
    6. Put it to sleep, then wake it up and restart ThrottleStop.
    7. (optional) Reduce (offset) CPU, Cache and GPU voltages by about 50mV or even more if possible, to help lower temperatures and increase battery life.

BOOM! My 3dMark06 scores went from about 3300 to about 5150, Cinebench OpenGL went from 12.4 to 22.6 fps...

I found that the only setup variables that needed to be modified in the BIOS were the ones in Step 2 above. I tried all the others in mods.txt and they didn't do anything for me. I did not need BarEdit. I just used ThrottleStop 8 beta 2 (tried XTU before, but it was resetting my tablet while in standby!). You can work around the beta expiration date by backing up your clock just before starting it. Just set the year to 2014, that should do it. Once ThrottleStop starts, you can set the clock back to normal and it will still work. I hope the author will be kind enough to revise or eliminate the expiry date, or take it out of beta...

Thank you everyone! Who do I send a beer to?

3dmark06 Score.PNG Readings During Cinebench OpenGL Run.PNG Cinebench OpenGL Before-After.PNG

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
    JJP and nmx87 like this.
  3. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

why not use Throttlestop 8 Bet 5?

4. Ieronim

Ieronim Pen Pal - Newbie

Because I thought it was the most recent... Thanks for the tip!

5. netss

netss Pen Pal - Newbie

i have a Dell Venue 11 7139 with A16 BIOS...

Could someone explain how I can do to remove my CPU throttling ??

I have seen many here that even the overclock but do not quite understand how to achieve remove .. How haw a some guide for use in my model 7139 BIOS A16

6. Ieronim

Ieronim Pen Pal - Newbie

Read this first, I think it's the most important post in the thread::
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/dell-venue-11-pro-i5-overclocked.65020/#post-422629

Personally, I find some of the steps and pieces of software mentioned to be unnecessary (Bar Edit, most of the mods described in mods.txt), so I came up with a simpler way of doing it (IMHO):

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/dell-venue-11-pro-i5-overclocked.65020/page-15#post-460127
    (this removes CPU throttling the easy way, but not the GPU, so it's not for gaming)

Add this to also unleash the GPU, but with some limitations - must disable Connected Standby (which sucks), not working while charging, etc:

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/dell-venue-11-pro-i5-overclocked.65020/page-16#post-460426

nmx87 likes this.
  7. fotis

fotis Pen Pal - Newbie

mine is 7139 A16 bios as well and it works

8. GearsPowered

GearsPowered Pen Pal - Newbie

I only lurk here and didn't even know I had an account on this site (I was about to just setup an account) just to say thank you for this post.

While there is a lot of information on this thread (And a huge thanks to everyone who's posted here) it's pretty overwhelming. This simplifies it, and I'm looking forward to undervolting my cpu and unleashing my GPU. I just purchased this tablet (and it should show up Monday) and this thread was the reason why I went for it instead of something else. You just made it even easier for a newbie like me :)

9. Ieronim

Ieronim Pen Pal - Newbie

You're welcome. I learned everything I needed to know in this thread, and was just paying it forward. Now, if only someone could make it work while Connected Standby is on. Why? Because it's 2015, to quote our PM.

10. loveleeyoungae

loveleeyoungae Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow, thanks. I've been following this thread for half a year, and finally someone made this overlocking method possible without the sleep cycle. Mine is a 7130 vPro i5-4300Y. When I first bought mine in Jan 2014, I didn't know Dell would do this restriction on this device. I have waited for two years to have it work properly. That sucks.