Dell venue 11 Pro i5 overclockED !

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Martin Demin, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Martin Demin

Martin Demin Pen Pal - Newbie

So, after three days of fiddling around I was able to:
    - unlock all settings for CPU in bios (this was the simple part)
    - thanks to the chromium OS, find the undocumented MCHBAR register that blocked the TDP to 6W
    - and finally unleash the beast :)

I can get 11-14W out of the CPU no problem, I set the maximum temperature to around 82 degrees.

See pictures attached :) I will try to update this post later today, take this as a teaser :)

The only problem is that I don't play any games, so I can't post any FPS results.

Attached Files:

Ieronim, cueball, avs.andrew and 3 others like this.
  2. Chrischi1988

Chrischi1988 Scribbler - Standard Member

Wow man, if this is true, you are my Jedi Master and I am your Padawan XD

This would be soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo awesome^^

3. laos101

laos101 Pen Pal - Newbie

Awesome! Can't wait to see how you did it.

4. Martin Demin

I will not be responsible for any damage that may be made.
    So the steps would be:
    1. Unzip bootx64.zip to X:\efi\boot\ on a USB thumb drive. With disabled secure boot you should be able to boot a grub that will allow you to modify NVRAM. (These modifications will not be permanent and are reversible)
    2. using command setup_var address {new_value} you will be able to read and modify bios parameters. All the parameters are listed in the attached IFR.txt file and are for A13 7139 DVP11 bios. The parameters that I have modified are listed in mods.txt. Please note your default values !
    3. Now boot windows and install bar-edit 3.2 along with required tvicport .
    4. It is required to modify address 0xfed159a0 in memory with bar-edit. Set it to 0x00000000 (this is similar register to PKG_POWER_LIMIT used by Embedded Controller)
    5. Put tablet to sleep, wait a few seconds and wake it up (I suggest you use the side button, otherwise you might not be sure if it is already sleeping)
    6. After it is woken up, the MSR setting are unlocked and you may use ThrottleStop 7 to change the power settings, please note that the latest beta 3 expired on 31th 12 2014 :)
    Also the Intel Extreme tuning utility might work ...

warning, normally the voltage regulator tops up @ 25Amps and power about 11W, using the above method you can run you CPU at 16Watts (166% more than normal !!). The voltage regulator may not like it, although I believe it is temperature protected ...

Limitations are:
    - This does not work if your battery is charging ... so try it either on battery or wait until it is charged = not charging.
    - Plugging or unplugging the charger will reset the limit to 6W

If there is some expert on these Intel SoCs please try to tell a workaround for the step 5 and the limitations :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
    iseon, Chrischi1988 and JoeS like this.
  5. jsherm101

jsherm101 Pen Pal - Newbie

So charging resets it to 6W, could there be another settings during a charging state that causes this?

6. Martin Demin

I have no idea how it is limited, none of the two registers contains the limit. The limit seems to be around 6.5 Watts, not the standard 6W. I posted on the Intel forum, i wonder if anybody replies :)

7. avs.andrew

avs.andrew Pen Pal - Newbie

This is brilliant! You are a genius! Did anybody try it on 7130 with 4210Y?

8. jsherm101

jsherm101 Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been able to reproduce this following the above guide with XTU - simply changing the TBP Max to 11 watts brings a huge performance boost. Can also confirm the AC adapter problem. I sure hope you get a reply. i just tested this with League of Legends and the game went from 20 to 200 FPS! Temperature spiked to 85 C so we'll see how the tablet handles its temperature throttling.

9. Chrischi1988

Normal heat throttles normally should kick in at around 100°C. But if we can put up a limit to 88°C or something like that, we should be able to safely use the tablet in that state without being too afraid that something happens. Surface 3 throttles at due to heat at 100°C, so I see no reason why it shouldnt safely run at these temps. It is so awesome that you did this for us!!!

Now the last step is getting that while charging. I can only dream of playing Skyrim without throttling issues, as the power of the CPU is more than enough, but it just throttles down so badly. If we can get that to run like that, the tablet in many ways would run better than a Surface Pro 3 with i5 U series CPU. Dont know why, but if it wasnt for throttling, it could handle so much. Diablo3 with 40 FPS, Dota 2 in 1080p and good details... wow, I can just imagine what would made possible with this. Soooo great!

10. Chrischi1988

Just as a question, if the tablet is fully charged and AC plugged in, it says not charging, so this method works right? Does it stay that way for long? I mean, when I use it and it loses like 1%, then it stops working right? Or does the tablet use the AC power only, if it is fully charged and so has no problems to be used in that state for longer, because it doesnt use the battery at all then? Just wonder what I can try out.