Dell Venue 11 Pro Core i version Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell' started by next_milenium, Dec 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JazzJackRabbit

JazzJackRabbit Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, the good news is I fixed the grinding/rattling noise. All I had to do was lubricate the fan. The bad news is that I had to remove the bottom case before I could get to the fan and it took me an hour to do so.

I did a write up on how to do it, but I think the topic might be under moderator review before it becomes publicly visible? So you might not be able to follow the link until moderator approves it.
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/thr...grinding-fan-on-dell-venue-11-pro-7130.64394/

P.S. next step is to do the copper mod similar to the one that Dell Venue 8 Pro owners have been doing for a while. I've already got the copper sheet, but I'm waiting for the thermal pad to arrive - I want to use copper mod to provide additional cooling to both CPU and SSD which gets quite hot, perhaps even hotter than the CPU itself. Unfortunately, I have a nagging feeling that I'm going to have to take the bottom case apart again to cut away a portion of plastic on the bottom case, thus ruining whatever warranty I may have had. Not looking forward to dismantling the tablet again as well as losing the warranty. Sigh... Hopefully, the copper mod will work for Venue 11 Pro well enough that the fan will never come on during idle browsing.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
    SciuriusRex likes this.
  2. spacecake12

spacecake12 Pen Pal - Newbie

Just updated my Venue 11 7130 to A13(from A10 I think). Everything seems to work smoothly except the stylus. When writing, the stylus suddenly stops working and never comes back. It seems when I update the touch firmware repeatedly it brings the stylus back every time but just cuts off after some use again. A simple reboot does not fix the issue and the stylus works perfectly on my Venue 8 Pro.

I haven't had a chance to test out the Venue 11 since I just received it and was waiting for my replacement pen to come since my other one broke. So I'm not sure how it worked before the update. My Venue 11 was also a dell refurb.

Is anybody else having any issues with the stylus on A13?

3. Chrischi1988

Chrischi1988 Scribbler - Standard Member

I would say check the battery of the stylus, but you are saying it works on DV8P, so Im not sure if it is that problem... But also make sure to have all of the newest Windows 8.1 drivers installed. I did that and the stylus began to work a lot better. Before I never had a dot or it was the mouse pointer, whereever I hovered over with the stylus, now I get the dot everytime, it even changes its color to the selected color in One Note for example. Maybe it will help, but cannot guarantee that.

Well, I am also wondering about a copper pad. It might even make the tablet run cooler in general, which would also lower its TDP and it could be possible, to increase its max. performance over long periods of time. Dont know how much, but I know the 6Watts SDP make it powerthrottle, but I wonder if it reaches 6 Watts SDP, if it didnt reach 11,5 Watts TDP first. So it could be, that it will give more overall performance, but I am not talking about turbo boost, I mean after power throttling :)

4. spacecake12

spacecake12 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate any help I can get. I already had all drivers updated and ran windows update quite recently. I went ahead and downloaded some dell auto updating tools and ran them. I then ran windows update again today and had two optional updates. I installed them and rebooted and the stylus seems to be working alright now. No sudden cutoffs when using the stylus so the issue seems to be resolved for now. Not sure that anything really changed but I'm just happy its working. Thanks again for the suggestions!

5. ttan98

ttan98 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

Major problem with my Dell Venue Pro 11
    ==============================

Just bought this unit about a month ago, about a week ago I downloaded 2 drivers updates from automatic update software supplied by Dell.
    After updating I rebooted the tablet and I could not get into Win 8 anymore, I obtain a green screen with this message:
    Critical recovery failed
    it keeps rebooting with this error message. I cannot then get into Windows anymore.

Anyone can help me otherwise this tablet would become a piece of junk.
    Thanks.

6. jamesstringer

jamesstringer Pen Pal - Newbie

The Dell Venue 11 Pro 7140 (Late 2014) is shown in Dell support, does anyone have any details on this device?

7. PhytochromeFr

PhytochromeFr Pen Pal - Newbie

how do i extract rom file from bios update file? i'm trying bios modding but Extraction tool i have doesn't working.

8. crashsuit

crashsuit Pen Pal - Newbie

For anyone who's applied the A13 BIOS to their V11P i5 7130, what's your experience been with the throttling? Any change in throttling behavior?

9. Chrischi1988

Chrischi1988 Scribbler - Standard Member

Throttling hasnt changed, the CPU still has its 6W SDP. But on this forum is a DV11P i5 overclocking thread, which lets it run hotter, but faster, with higher watts. But we have yet to see how safe it works.

crashsuit likes this.
  10. crashsuit

crashsuit Pen Pal - Newbie

I saw those, thanks. I've been following those conversations pretty closely. The boost in performance sounds nice, but so far it doesn't seem to work while plugged in and charging, only while running on battery. That's still pretty good progress over stock, though.

I couldn't find anything definite one way or the other on whether the newest BIOS had had any effect on performance re: the SDW throttling issues, like enabling higher power use or anything, so thank you for answering that.

I'm getting closer and closer to getting one of the V11P 7130 models, but I'm still just on the fence a bit. Considering just the tablets themselves, I'd rather get a SP2, but I'm really unhappy with the keyboard offerings. I really prefer to have a battery keyboard with a rigid hinge, like the V11P has.

Over all the V11P is getting more and more attractive to me as its issues are cleared up - the new stylus, misc firmware fixes, modifying the TDP, etc. I guess I'm just trying to think it over enough that I finally talk myself into it.

Thanks again, and sorry for rambling a bit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.