Dell Venue 11 Pro Core i version Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell' started by next_milenium, Dec 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xrayzebra

xrayzebra Scribbler - Standard Member

I returned my 7130 because it was so buggy, even after updating all of drivers and firmware. I was really disgusted and thought the V11 was a total waste. I decided to try a 5130, and the difference was amazing - hardly any issues at all unless I repeatedly change from tablet to notebook or docking configuration. Even then, the issues are very minor. Maybe the onscreen keyboard refuses to active by itself or the mobile keyboard loses contact and I have to sleep/wake to get it to be recognized.

I'm very pleased with the performance of the Baytrail 5130. Doing fairly intense tasks like dumping 100 large format photos into a PowerPoint photo album and then compressing them down to 150 dpi all at once, it's reasonably quick. There's almost no lag in calculating really large spreadsheets. It performs as well as a couple years old Core 5 desktop I have.

I took it on the road this week for the first time as my main traveling machine, and it worked flawlessly on data gathering and then presenting for an audience. I'm really glad I gave the Venue a second chance in the 5130 config, and don't regret saving about $300 by downgrading to a better working tablet.

It's lightened my load and left me a lot more space in my bag, and is a real convenient size on a plane. I had used a Fujitsu P1610 in this capacity for a while, so that was an even smaller foot print but thicker machine. My processing needs got too large so I went back to a laptop for some trips, and ended up switching back and forth between a Fujitsu Q550 and a laptop or even carrying both. The V11 definitely fills the ***** of both. This went from major disappointment to truly satisfying when swapping the 7130 for the 5130.

I really hope they get the 7130 straightened out, but I'm wondering where the benefit lies in having the 7130. So far, the 5130 handles everything I throw at it at least acceptably. Even the 7130's failure to let me use the stylus with a legacy version of Photoshop was resolved with the 5130. I'm still not getting any indication of pressure sensitivity with the stylus though, it seems pretty much click or not click.

2. next_milenium

next_milenium Scribbler - Standard Member

I would do exactly what you did except I got my 7130 for less than the price of a 5130 (vendor compensated me for the delay and error on my order). Now, I'm kind of stuck with 7130 with all the issues and less battery life even though I like the 4gb ram and 128 ssd (not sure if I really benefit from these on daily usages).

Kind of sux to get a great deal on a machine and it turns out to be a disappointment. :(

3. panzer06

panzer06 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm fine with my 7130. I've had one hang since upgrading the video drivers and that was removing it from the dock.

The dock is poor. No displayport to DVI adapters or cables work for me. Also failure to provide gigabit is a mess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

4. jyan_osu

jyan_osu Scribbler - Standard Member

Used the 7130 to cover CES this week and was more than pleased. I was able to stay ahead of the game writing between appointments and upload via my hotspot. I was also able to vpn into a site to help out a client back home, something I couldn't have done easily with my old Asus transformer t700. That tablet lagged and paused a ton even after unlocking and installing various roms.

So for me, the 7130 was a big win especially with the mobile keyboard and extra battery

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

5. punktown

punktown Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi - another 4210Y owner here.

The difference in Power Options seems to be related Connected Standby support. I was under the impression that the i5 device would not support connected standby. But the last post on the first page of this thread on the Dell community includes a statement that the 4210Y devices DO support connected standby, even on 64-bit Windows while the 4300Y/vPro configuration does not. This contradicts something I read earlier - I thought only BayTrail devices would have it. But this would explain the more limited power options on the 4210Y.

It also seems like there was some general confusion at Dell on how each config should be provisioned, because my device (and other 4210Ys) shipped with Intel RapidStart installed, but only the 4300Ys support it.

Connected Standby support would also explain why the Hibernate option is not available in the UI.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. Lanurd

Lanurd Pen Pal - Newbie

Found this while reading the manual

Uninstalling Dell Power Manager automatically uninstalls all Dell Enhanced Power Plans and Dell Enhanced Settings. If a Dell Enhanced Power Plan is active when Dell Power Manager is uninstalled, then the active power plan is set to Balanced .

7. T3CK

T3CK Pen Pal - Newbie

You can do this in Windows directly. Here there are mines on 7130/8GB/256GB:
    Code:
    C:\Windows\system32>winsat disk -drive c
    Windows System Assessment Tool
    > Running: Feature Enumeration ''
    > Run Time 00:00:00.00
    > Running: Storage Assessment '-drive c -ran -read'
    > Run Time 00:00:00.27
    > Running: Storage Assessment '-drive c -seq -read'
    > Run Time 00:00:02.66
    > Running: Storage Assessment '-drive c -seq -write'
    > Run Time 00:00:02.08
    > Running: Storage Assessment '-drive c -flush -seq'
    > Run Time 00:00:00.72
    > Running: Storage Assessment '-drive c -flush -ran'
    > Run Time 00:00:00.78
    > Disk  Random 16.0 Read                       472.21 MB/s       8.2
    > Disk  Sequential 64.0 Read                   522.60 MB/s       8.1
    > Disk  Sequential 64.0 Write                  419.91 MB/s       8.0
    > Average Read Time with Sequential Writes     0.423 ms          8.2
    > Latency: 95th Percentile                     2.752 ms          7.2
    > Latency: Maximum                             5.246 ms          8.5
    > Average Read Time with Random Writes         0.495 ms          8.7
    > Total Run Time 00:00:06.91

8. Trancebear

Trancebear Pen Pal - Newbie

9. jmi

jmi Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone found a way to permanently enable the function keys, either native or through third-party? There does not seem to be anything like the Fn-CapsLock combo that is so useful on the Surface Pro 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. TheArtfulDodger

TheArtfulDodger Pen Pal - Newbie

Indeed that would be useful - I would like to see it too!

Sparky