Dell Venue 11 Pro Core i version Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell' started by next_milenium, Dec 21, 2013.

1. next_milenium

next_milenium Scribbler - Standard Member

Nope. The performance option is not available in the windows power plan settings.I have the i5 version.

2. ford1620

ford1620 Pen Pal - Newbie

These are the options I have:

Capture Power Options.jpg

3. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Are you not able to create your own? You can also modify your existing ones, like Balanced, to allow the processor to reach min and max values. It's not like you're completely locked out of those settings, you just need to tweak them yourself.

Alternatively, try resetting the power plans to the Windows defaults (power saver, balanced, high performance). Open an elevated cmd prompt, and run this:
    powercfg /restoredefaultschemes

Don't forget that some software tend to goof with the current power plans that you have in your Windows. I cannot remember which, but one of the free antivirus/malware scanning software suites automatically replaces the power plans in Windows. Likely that other software might try to do the same thing.

As to why the options are completely locked on the Bay Trail models, I have no idea: might be a specific limitation for Atom processors? (I'm just guessing, I've never owned or used an Atom based Windows machine before. I've played with a Bay Trail D8P for about 10 minutes, that's it).

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  4. next_milenium

What model do you have? On my i5 model, I only see Balanced and Dell. I can create a new plan but the settings for CPU, etc are not available (only basic things like screen brightness, sleep timer, etc are available).

5. next_milenium

6. ford1620

I have the i5 4300Y model.

7. next_milenium

I see. I have the i5 4210Y model and I can only assume the processor would be the only difference between our models.

On mine, I don't see all the options you see. I'm wondering if there's a way to "unlock" additional options in the powerplan?

Also wondering if you experience any lags or short freezes while browsing? On mine, the screen becomes unresponsive for 1-3 seconds but returns to normal if I wait.

Thanks.

8. rwerksman

rwerksman Scribbler - Standard Member

I've been looking around, and there isn't a clear cut way to enable additional settings. What I have done however is imported a power configuration and marked it active (using powercfg and a different PC's setup) Problem is the options are missing, especially the CPU options. From what I've read, you can still set them, you'll have to do it manually however.

9. ford1620

Yes, I have experienced some of this with the i5 4300Y. I don't know if it's less than the 4210Y. I am running in performance mode, and I just hung up watching the 5130 vs 7130 comparison video. Interestingly the video continued to play through to the end, while I was "frozen" from being able to pause..etc.

To add, I consider it to be a relatively minor annoyance. Not sure that it lags or freezes/lags much more than any other windows laptop I've owned. Considering this is the first device I've ever owned that went from tablet to dock (with large monitor/keyboard/mouse) to mobile keyboard while also switching between metro and desktop at a whim, overall I've been pleased with how well it all works. Maybe I just read enough complaints that by the time I got mine my expectations were low, so I'm easily pleased.

10. cosyn

cosyn Pen Pal - Newbie

@next_millenium, I have the same model and get the same power options.

@panzer, bummer about the dock's Gigabit Ethernet functionality not being turned on. :confused: Welcome aboard our airplane. It has a jet engine but we'll use the propeller instead.