Dell Venue 11 Pro Core i version Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell' started by next_milenium, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Hendrickson

Hendrickson Scribbler - Standard Member

Maybe so, but I remember reading about the surface 2 pro after a gaming sesson for a while and their screen dimmed and FPS dropped. FPS dropping was from the CPU and graphics frequencies dropping out of turbo speed or lowering. Aka throttling. And the i5 Venues do the same and worse, but without the screen dimming. Just google surface 2 gaming screen dimming, Surface 2 overheating etc etc.

Only so much heat can be dissipated from a small tablet form factor. Its a constant battle of heat and power.

Be interesting to see how loud the i5 V11P's fans are compared to the Surface 2 pros when stressed. Anyone got both devices here to compare?

2. next_milenium

next_milenium Scribbler - Standard Member

I can say the DV11pro i5 version's fan gets loud but tolerable. Most of the times when the fan is going full blast you are likely playing a game. That means the sound from the game usually drowns out the fan noise.

The sound level is similar to the fan noise I experienced from my old Vizio 14" ultrabook (can definitely hear it but not too loud enough to be bothersome).

3. ford1620

ford1620 Pen Pal - Newbie

No question that the 11 Pro with the 4300Y is being throttled. Tests I've run show it very quickly being throttled down to 6 watts, only briefly running at 10 + watts.

I'm not convinced that this is heat related throttling as the chip is rated up to 100 deg C and I didn't see any temps greater than 70 deg C. I think it is all about the battery life, but I could be wrong.

I remember reading about this type of CPU operation in Intel's explanation of "SDP" vs. traditional "TDP"; something along the lines of most tasks only requiring an initial short burst of CPU bandwidth and then revert back to lower SDP wattage to provide the best combination of performance and battery life. I assumed this was driven by the load, but now I think it is forced, regardless of the load, and is more about prolonged battery life and less about thermal temp.

For the brief period that the CPU is loaded and drawing greater than 10 watts the fan is humming pretty good, but it quickly disappears as the power draw is throttled back to the CPU rated SDP of 6 watts. I'll attach some screen shots of throttle stop and the task mgr while I was running it under load. Also, the tablet was docked during the test.

TS 10W Capture.jpg

TS 6 Watt Capture.jpg

TM CPU Capture.jpg

4. Hendrickson

Hendrickson Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for the throttling info. Does thottlestop if enabled help too hold the turbos longer or a higher frequency? If for example we needed a boost for video encoding or gaming?

5. ford1620

ford1620 Pen Pal - Newbie

Not that I could figure out. Never used Throttle Stop before yesterday. The only thing I could do was disable turbo which prevented the CPU from going above 1600 Mhz and watch when TDP throttle kicked in/temps. There is a long forum on this site about throttle stop, seems there will need to be changes made specifically for the Haswell as they don't seem to be certain how the throttling works on this chip. Check it out, its like several years running and a couple hundred pages.

Also, the Fujitsu Q704 people are indicating throttling on that device. As you indicate, we're pushing the envelope of size vs power vs temp vs battery life...

6. Troy1219

Troy1219 Pen Pal - Newbie

Yea, I agree with u. But my point is, the specification shows that the core i version is 3mm thicker than Surface pro (1.5cm vs 1.2cm). Is there anything wrong the information? I couldn't believe venue 11 pro 7130 is much thicker than other core i tablets such as Surface pro, Acer w700, Sony tap 11 and so on.

7. Jcink

Jcink Scribbler - Standard Member

Would be nice if Dell could just make a biôs option to disable the throttling... I wonder what the chances of that are.

8. next_milenium

next_milenium Scribbler - Standard Member

I'd say chance of that is a fat ZERO. :p

On the other hand, if they didn't throttle the chip, people would scream about poor battery life and heat issues.

9. panzer06

panzer06 Pen Pal - Newbie

M.2 slot so not many options yet.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

10. rwerksman

rwerksman Scribbler - Standard Member

And let people grenade their tablet only to call in a warranty claim?