Dell Venue 11 Pro Core i version Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell' started by next_milenium, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Bitech

Bitech Pen Pal - Newbie

Because that site and its benchmarks are unreliable. They're both the exact same chip outside of frequency, and it's obvious the Core i5-4300Y should have higher benchmark scores because of it's higher frequency alone.

Plus the reviewer gave them different scores in "features", even though it shows right there in the specifications that they both have the exact same features ans specifications, outside of frequency.

Have some sense of skepticism when it comes to synthetic hardware benchmarks, because they don't represent real-world performance.
    The tablet has to provide power to the USB port to transfer the movie from the HDD to the memory while it's playing watch it, and if the HDD is a portable then the tablet has to provide power to operate the HDD also.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  2. next_milenium

next_milenium Scribbler - Standard Member

Good point with the website being unreliable. Their comparison made no sense.

As far as playing the movie from a portable HDD, yes, it drew a lot of power and drained my tablet quickly. I wonder if it will draw significantly less power if I were to play the movie from a USB 3.0 stick?

3. cosyn

cosyn Pen Pal - Newbie

Update on the tablet dock's Ethernet speed. Dell tech support is as puzzled as I about the device showing up as Fast Ethernet instead of Gigabit. They are talking to their engineers. Should hear back next Tuesday. Have others with the dock noticed their connection speed or device name?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. panzer06

panzer06 Pen Pal - Newbie

Yep, only shows up as fast Ethernet and windows reports 100mb connection.

Cheers,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

5. ford1620

ford1620 Pen Pal - Newbie

Looks like the sales & marketing literature is wrong. It's an Asix AX88772C USB2.0 to Fast Ethernet Adapter. I have the i5 4300Y 8/256GB connected through the docking station and it clearly indicates this adapter in the task manager. Here is a little bit of information from the Asix web site:

The AX88772C USB 2.0 to 10/100M Fast Ethernet controller with Microsoft AOAC(Always On Always Connected) support is a high performance and highly integrated ASIC which enables a low cost, small form factor, and simple plug-and-play Fast Ethernet network connection capability for desktops, notebook PCs, Ultrabooks, cradles/port replicators/docking stations, game consoles, digital-home appliances, and any embedded system using a standard USB port.

The AX88772C can be used in any embedded system with a USB host microcontroller requiring a twisted pair physical network connection. Featuring a USB interface (compliant with USB specification V2.0 and V1.1) to communicate with a USB Host Controller, the AX88772C also integrates on-chip Ethernet MAC and PHY (IEEE802.3 and IEEE802.3u compatible) and embedded memory. Additionally, the AX88772C needs only a single 25MHz crystal to drive both the USB and Ethernet PHYs.

Analytical Guy likes this.
  6. Hendrickson

Hendrickson Scribbler - Standard Member

Really? I got the dock and why I opted for the venue over the surface as it was a gigabit Ethernet port and overall a better dock. Now its only 10/100M?

I have my dock here but no venue to test. But this is an issue. Dell advertise it as a gigabit, false advertising on there part... :mad:

7. ford1620

Looking some more at the Asix information, this adapter appears to be the only one (USB based) that supports Microsoft AOAC(Always On Always Connected).

8. ford1620

From my task manager:

TM Capture.jpg

Analytical Guy likes this.
  9. Jcink

Jcink Scribbler - Standard Member

I've been using the new drivers from intel for the last 24 hours and they've been doing pretty well. I was able to watch videos in VLC both on battery and not without a problem. I haven't had any lock ups and it came out of sleep okay. I'll continue to watch it.

10. ChrisM

ChrisM Pen Pal - Newbie

Does anyone know if the HDMI port can output a 4K resolution? The Intel graphics chip supports that at 24 Hz.