Dell Venue 11 Pro Core i version Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell' started by next_milenium, Dec 21, 2013.

1. next_milenium

next_milenium Scribbler - Standard Member

Try updating the graphics driver manually. The info is from the Dell forum (Venue vPro 11 7130 Freezing issues - Windows Mobile Products - Mobile Devices - Dell Community).

Please let us know if that fixes your issues. BTW, I haven't done the update but lately I haven't experienced freezing on my tablet (experienced few instances before).

2. next_milenium

Unfortunately these aren't the most rigid tablets. For example, if you hold the edges of the short sides and give it a slight twist motion (gently), you can feel the tablet flex. Mind you, these are pure plastic unlike iPads so I do not expect same rigidity BUT, I'm a little disappointed on how fragile these feel. Dell should've done a better job reinforcing the casing given the fact the back is removable (makes it less rigid).

3. rushmore69

rushmore69 Scribbler - Standard Member

That is ironic with the throttling, since would mean the 5130 could be faster for some games and apps. No throttle issues that I have seen in tests or games.

I did say "could be".

4. Hendrickson

Hendrickson Scribbler - Standard Member

Crazy really if its true. I hope dell has a bios update to improve things. However the i core versions still have the much faster ssd and 4GB/8GB vs 2GB.

5. next_milenium

Kind of makes people wonder if the $845 price tag of i5 version can be justified just for 4gb and 128 SSD alone without significant cpu speed advantage. I don't have the baytrail version to compare but according to the person who had both versions the difference is negligible on everyday usage.

6. Hendrickson

Since this throttling is happening its crazy but Yes comes down to really is $345 more worth it for 2GB more and a true ssd speeds with 128GB. Hard to say that is why I ordered both to test them both out and then decide. But Dell Europe have handled that horribly for me so I wont get the chance now anytime soon.

However I have ordered via HIDevolution and get an i5 in for me as Dell Spain can do this till late feb (reason I canceled my order)

My atom 5130 is due on the 15th if not further delayed so I will test them both out and return or sell the atom if I feel the i5 core is worth the extra $$$ or if not go with the atom.

Anyone have the i5 4300Y version? Does that also throttle just as bad as the 4210Y ?

7. next_milenium

I'm pretty certain the 4300Y is also throttled since it's temperature related and the 4300Y must run at higher or same temperature as 4210Y.

Interestingly enough, this site says 4210Y has slightly better performance single core compared to 4300Y so I'm not sure why or how that's possible.
    Intel Core i5 4300Y vs 4210Y

8. Hendrickson

Must benchmark less the 4300Y vs the 4210Y as the i5 4300Y runs 400Mhz higher turbo and must heat up quicker and throttle more. Thats a real disappointment. However I see on passmark there are only 4 samples. So i think a bit early to say the i5 4300Y is slower than the i5 4210Y, because it really doesn't make scene.

9. Jcink

Jcink Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for pointing that out. I have now installed these so we will see if I stop freezing or can actually watch a video with vlc without freezing.

10. next_milenium

Interesting you mention VLC because I watched a 1.5 hour movie in 1080P (blueray rip) just couple of nights ago without an issue. Only problem was the movie drained 35% of my battery only 40 minutes into it and I had to plug it in. I think having an external HDD connected to play the movie really put a lot of load on the tablet.