Dell Venue 11 Pro Core i version Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell' started by next_milenium, Dec 21, 2013.

1. next_milenium

next_milenium Scribbler - Standard Member

I just received my Dell Venue 11 Core i5 yesterday. It's 4GB 128 SSD version.
    I haven't really had whole a lot of time to play with it yet but I wanted to share my experience with others and ask some questions.

I think there is enough difference between the baytrail and core I versions to warrant a new thread so hopefully this is not a duplicate.

First impressions:

The good:
    1) Very quiet considering it has active cooling. I haven't really pushed it yet but even when the fan is on, it's hardly noticeable.
    2) Pretty snappy. It's about same as my Vizio ultrabook with 128 SSD and 3rd gen i5.
    3) Nice screen. I noticed the color is a little warm compared to my ipad 3. White is whiter on ipad 3.
    4) Very light and small. It's lighter than my ipad 3 with case on. I plan to use my Venue without a case so the weight is perfect.
    5) Put the illumishield screen protector and it's a perfect fit. Now I don't have to worry about scratching my screen. ;)
    6) Works very well with my Targus Bluetooth keyboard.
    7) I'm sure this list will grow! :D

The bad:
    1) The core I versions do not have connected stanby. I noticed putting the tablet to "sleep" consumes about 3-4% battery per hour. That's about 30% over night so it's almost necessary to shutdown the tablet overnight to conserve battery.
    2) Over sensitive screen! When browsing using IE, scrolling can be annoying because the page zooms in and out erratically. I think the hyper sensitive screen thinks you double tapped when actually you barely touched the screen.
    This is an issue that needs to be fixed and it seem quite a few people (even DV8pro has the issue) has this problem.
    3) I think there is slight scratchy sound when a windows system sound is produced. Did not notice it while playing Netflix video though.
    4) Still waiting on the stylus so I'm hoping it turns out OK based on the horror stories I've read.
    5) Hard to tell which drivers I need to install. I ran the My Dell app and it took me to the Dell website and listed all the latest drivers for this model. But I don't know which ones I need to install?
    4) Hope this list gets shorter. :mad:

That's all for now so I hope we can share some good information with each other!

demandarin and sven.hassel like this.
  2. hermano

hermano Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the info!

Please share more thoughts on the fan noise/heat/battery life when you've pushed the i3 a bit harder :)

Have you got the keyboard dock (with the battery)?

3. demandarin

demandarin Scribbler - Standard Member

does your version have the user replaceable battery?

4. next_milenium

For now I'm going to skip the battery keyboard. It's heavy and kinda defeats the purpose of this ultra portable windows machine. My Targus bluetooth keyboard will serve as my heavy typing companion.

The Core i versions, just like the baytrail cousins, have removable battery AND replaceable/upgrade able SSD. :thumbsup:

5. xrayzebra

xrayzebra Scribbler - Standard Member

Don't they all, if we're talking about Venue 11s? I believe this is the case.

6. Alchemist

Alchemist Scribbler - Standard Member

You are correct all of the Venue Pro 11 models have a removable back cover and user replaceable battery. Although the i series units and baytrail units have different size batteries so they are not interchangeable between models.

7. Alchemist

Only Baytrail / Clovertrail Intel processors running the 32 bit version of windows currently support connected standby. I think haswell processors support connected standby but at least so far Microsoft only supports connected standby in the 32 bit version of windows. I bet dell is shipping the i series models with the 64bit version of windows though, as it should for other reasons.

sven.hassel likes this.
  8. Alchemist

Its kind of funny about the accessory keyboards... the slim keyboard lets the tablet keep its slim / light nature and lets you fold the keyboard behind the unit so you can use it as a tablet, it turns off the keys so you don't get any accidental key presses but it neglects to tell windows that its not a working keyboard so screen rotation and the on screen keyboard are disabled. So much for using it as a tablet with the keyboard there, you have to disconnect it. Then you have the mobile keyboard, its still pretty slim but its heavier than the tablet itself which is good for 'laptop' use but a bit hefty to carry. At least it functions like it should though and gives the baytrail model some fantastic battery life, although its probably not as dramatic on the i series models.

sven.hassel likes this.
  9. tinypocket

tinypocket Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm loving mine so far except for three things:
    1. The battery drain of 4-5% / hour while sleeping is way too high. It seems that since 64-bit windows doesn't support "connected standby", the wifi stays on while the laptop is "sleeping". I would have expected it to completely turn it off. I noticed this because I tether my tablet to my android phone. When a device is connected to the phone's wifi I can see it in the list of devices connected. On the venue 11 pro, when I put it to sleep, it still shows as connected. You can also test this by downloading a large file with the "modern" IE and put the tablet to sleep, then wake it up -- you'll still see the file was downloading while 'sleeping'.

2. There's a weird thing that happens when I turn on the tablet pretty often. The screen seems to go crazy (looks like it's the digitizer for the pen?). Others have reported it in this thread (https://www.dell.com/sts/passive/co...ices/f/4586/p/19535987/20490560.aspx#20490560) and someone posted a video (Stars And Lines Video by MontyInNJ | Photobucket). Anyone here seeing that issue?

3. The tablet randomly freezes for a few seconds, up to 20-30 seconds, then comes back. Pressing the power on and off usually does the trick to bring it back. While in it's "frozen" state, I tap the screen but nothing changes. When it comes back it's as if it was responding to the touch/mouse clicks but the video didn't update. Maybe a display driver issue?

10. next_milenium

Coming from iPad 3 and Samsung Note 3, I can say the windows tablet needs a lot more refinement. For example, its annoying I have to manually open the on screen keyboard if I want to type something on desktop IE version. Can't believe the OS is unable to automatically recognize the user might want the keyboard when an input box is tapped. :mad: