Dell Venue 11 Pro 7140 (Late 2014)

Discussion in 'Dell' started by jamesstringer, Nov 2, 2014.

1. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

I just bought a 7140 5y71 8gb 256gb model lightly used with mobile kb this week, and I'm loving this device. With a dock, this little beauty will serve as my laptop, tablet, and desktop. It will replace an old ThinkPad 10 that got really slow after I pushed it to Win 10. The Synaptic pen doesn't compare to the TP10's Wacom pen, but for note taking and navigating small buttons, my silver barreled Dell Active Pen 750-aagn works just fine.

Pudubudum_pidum likes this.
  2. Pudubudum_pidum

Pudubudum_pidum Pen Pal - Newbie

I own exactly the same device. Thinking of buying keyboard and maybe dock.
    Trying to perceive how to make internal LTE work with Android (made dual boot).
    If someone helps somehow will be glad.

3. Caporeira

Caporeira Pen Pal - Newbie

I am looking for a tablet that will sometimes replace my laptop.
    Have you bought Dell Venue a second time or something else?

How many max.GB disk and memonry can you install in it?

4. HJK

How much are you looking to spend, and do you want to write on it?
    If you want to write on it, you might want to check out the Latitude 11 5175 or 5179. It supports Wacom AES, which is a much better pen experience than the synaptics pen on the Venue 11 Pro. It is almost identical to the Venue 11 Pro, except that it has a more recent gen processor and is more powerful as a result.
    I'm not sure what they both support, but the most I have seen is 8GB ram and 512 GB SSD on the Latitude 11, and I've seen 8 GB RAM and 256 GB SSD on the Venue 11 7140. I'm guessing you can add a 512 GB SSD to the Venue 11 7140, but I'm just guessing.

5. Caporeira

Caporeira Pen Pal - Newbie

I want spend around 500 - 600 Euro.
    Maybe I will write on it, and maybe not - I have no experience with stylus pen.

6. HJK

I don't know what the availability is like in Europe, but here in the US via Ebay you can get a Latitude 11 5175 8/256, a keyboard to go with it, and a compatible Wacom AES pen for less than 500 Euro. I would recommend a pen from HP or Wacom over the one offered by Dell for the stylus.

Also, since it is backward compatible with all of the Venue 11 Pro peripherals, there is a wide variety of keyboards to choose from for both Venue 11 Pro and Latitude 11 (5 total, I think; 3 "folio" keyboards and two "laptop style" kb docks with an extra battery).

I would recommend the Venue 11 keyboard with the additional battery. The key spacing is much nicer than the Latitude 11 tablet keyboards, imo, and it increases the battery life of the tablet by about 50%.

It's also compatible with the Dell tablet dock, so if you throw in a monitor, kb, and mouse, you can use it as your desktop.

Hope this info. helps.

Caporeira likes this.