Dell Venue 11 Pro 7140 (Late 2014)

Discussion in 'Dell' started by jamesstringer, Nov 2, 2014.

1. garce

garce Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,
    I am interested in using some type of generic dock (don't want to buy the dell one but something that I can use in the future.
    Does anybody have any experience with a usb 3.0 hub charging station?
    Would the 7140 charge through the usb host port (regular size usb port on tablet, not microusb)
    Any recommendation on one?

2. timfountain

timfountain Pen Pal - Newbie

I had great success with the Lenovo USB 3.0 docking solution. It worked flawlessly as a dock ad was much better than the Dell one, which I returned after a week. I don't think it will be technically possible to charge the 7140 from the USB 3.0 port, it provides power, not receives it....

3. chris4lulz

chris4lulz Pen Pal - Newbie

has anyone got the sim card slot working? if so what needs to be done to get it going?

4. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

Can you replace the battery in this?

5. Ishman

Ishman Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, You can replace the battery relatively easy. Just remove the screw by the sdcard and snap off the rear cover to gain access to the battery.

HJK likes this.
  6. ColinMacLaren

ColinMacLaren Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

I own a European 7140 that comes with LTE. Unfortunately I damaged the SIM card reader when a SIMM gut stuck in there. Is there a way to replace it?

7. rüdiger

rüdiger Pen Pal - Newbie

I got a new Venue 11 Pro 7140 and have bluescreens in sleep. It seems to be related to the SSD going into sleep modus, and Windows cant reach it anymore. People suggested here: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/mobile-devices/f/4586/t/19568436 you should disable the AHCI Link Power Management. I tried this, but this totally ruins the sleep drain of the tablet, and it never goes into deep sleep and stays warm (on the cpu side) in sleep mode. Powercfg also shows 0% HW sleep when Link Power Management is disabled... this is just GREAT. I think this was my LAST product I ever bought from Dell. I had lots of similar issues with the Venue 8 Pro already before.

Someone has a tip for this maybe? I guess all 7140 have this issue with Windows 10, but most users may not notice it or have not the knowledge to notice it first hand.

The SSD is the original of course, a Sandisk X110 which came with the tablet. Someone said here: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/dell-venue-11-pro-7140-late-2014.64410/page-38#post-428446 it was just a problem with other SSDs, which is totally not true. And disabling LPM is not an option... it will literally make your tablet drain 100% over night.

8. Rob Halligan

Rob Halligan Pen Pal - Newbie

That Anker cable is long-lasting. Thanks.

9. rüdiger

rüdiger Pen Pal - Newbie

Can someone owning a 7140 please tell something about what I said in post 717?

10. timfountain

timfountain Pen Pal - Newbie

I've had two 7140's. One I sold due to instability and blue screens that I never did solve. I bought another one for an insanely cheap price and it has been rock solid. I re-used the same SSD. The only difference was 8GB and Core M-5Y71 on the unstable one and 4GB and Core M-5Y10 on the current one. There may also be changes in PCB/CCA revisions but I can't determine that. Both have the same BIOS. I honestly just there may be a design issue with the 5Y71 and/or 8GB of RAM.... What CPU & memory do you have?