Dell Venue 11 Pro 7140 (Late 2014)

Discussion in 'Dell' started by jamesstringer, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Rob Halligan

Rob Halligan Pen Pal - Newbie

I'd buy a new one if they with USB C. The convenience of again having one type of USB connector for all my charging needs would be great.

2. Night_wing

Night_wing Pen Pal - Newbie

Hear hear.

3. jasonnovak21

jasonnovak21 Pen Pal - Newbie

Just thought it's worth mentioning there are new video, bluetooth, and wifi drivers this past week for the 7140. I don't see all of them by service tag, only if I look up a 7140 - but maybe that's because I have an outlet one. Speaking of which there's a 40% off coupon for the outlet that's good until the 7th

Night_wing likes this.
  4. cardboardbox

cardboardbox Pen Pal - Newbie

Any battery saving tips? Disabling connected standby prevents me from waking from sleep so thats not really an option. When connected standby is enabled, is the Venue able to sleep? I ask because mine drains the battery in a day even if I dont touch it all day. So I enabled hibernate in 15 min on battery and that sort of solves the problem except I have to wait a bit when I turn it on, but I'm wondering if that will really lower the lifespan of the ssd because of the huge hibernate file.

5. Devedander

Devedander Pen Pal - Newbie

I was wondering the same thing, actually posted this a few days ago to the wrong thread:

I have actually been able to get sleep to work with CS disabled in registry (not sure how) but restarting doesn't work and coming out of hibernate is sketchy at best.

And even more odd sleepstudy shows that it's still going into CS even though it's disabled in registry so not really getting any benefit power wise.

For now it seems that hibernating after a short sleep is really the best option in terms of battery saving which is really a shame as it's really nice to have it just wake up when opening the keyboard.

6. Devedander

After doing a rebuild I think a problem resides somewhere in the chipset drivers...

I was testing the reboot problem after each driver install and after installing Intel chipset the system would no longer reboot properly.

Attempting to reboot would result in the screen going dark but the system never actually rebooting. Pressing the start button caused a vibration and I had to hold the power button for 10 seconds to cause a hard shut down, then I could boot again however it would take a long time to boot and often give an error and require a disk scan.

To those who are getting massive battery drain when "off" I think this might be your issue as it looks like it's off, but it's basically still running full power and you wouldn't know unless you press the start button and get a vibration.

7. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member

I had that with my TP8.
    I switched of fastboot and since then that problem is gone.
    And it only takes 2 seconds longer now.

8. Devedander

I will check into turning off fast boot, however my boot time is only about 2 seconds now and I kind of like it... would be nice a shame to double it.

I thought it was the chipset driver installation, but now after about a day of use I have again run into the above problem where I can't really shut down or restart... I wonder if windows snuck a driver update in on me somewhere... doing a system restore to a pre issue timeframe did not resolve this behavior :(

EDIT never mind, found it, switched off fast boot and same situation... I really wonder what's causing this behavior. It's kind of scary to know that I am a rapid dead battery away from an errant shut down....

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  9. Devedander

So I did another clean install and didn't install Intel management software things are fine for about 24 hours then it happened again.

The event viewer does it is the IMEI having a handshake error with the firmware.

I would think this would be a common issues no?

10. Devedander

Well after a few more days of tinkering around it seems it's not the driver - I built it clean, left it sitting with no internet connection so it couldn't download new drivers and still after several hours the issue appeared.

I noticed that after this error starts device manager shows an error for Intet Mangement Engine of Code 10

STATUS_DEVICE_POWER_FAILURE

Amazingly this doesn't seem to go away until I restore back to windows 8. A disk image of the OS when it was working does not fix the issue which seems really weird.

When booting if I hit F12 to see boot options I can see an option for Intel Management Engine something or other but selecting it doesn't seem to do anything of use.

At this point it looks like it's going in for repair/replacement :(