Dell Venue 11 Pro 7140 (Late 2014)

Discussion in 'Dell' started by jamesstringer, Nov 2, 2014.

1. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

This post made my day. This is totally my experience when talking with customer service. I tend to wait untill my wife steps out to make these types of calls for various reasons, so I almost always have kids screaming in the background. It does seem to garner some sympathy from the rep on the other end, but I've never gotten an upgrade out of it, let alone an upgrade from 4gb/128gb to 8gb/256 gb! Nice!

2. HJK

I've been ogling that out of box item on BB's website for two weeks now. There is one store about a half hour away that I have seriously called three times asking if they have the out-of-box T300 Chi that the website says they have. It's a half hour away and I never end up having the time to pick it up. The out of box DV11P 4/64 is a pretty good deal, too, at $404.

After some minor adjustments in my devices configuration, I'm going to hold tight for a while, though--a new DV8P to replace my broken AVTN8, my T100 is supposed to return fixed from OfficeDepot tomorrow, and my clunky old work computer is getting upgraded soon. But I'm pretty sure that I will eventually pick up either an open box DV11P or an open box T300 Chi in a month or two. *edit* Or three; my device envy is always bigger than my budget and my bigger than my wife is willing to let me spend.

3. HJK

How cramped exactly is the mobile keyboard? How does it compare to, say, the Surface 3? I have goodly sized man-hands and I have given myself some problems trying to type on an overly cramped kb in the past.

4. HJK

Looks like I've monopolized this thread with seemingly random questions. Well, here's one more: How is the battery sleep drain on the Venue 7140 on Windows 10? I've read elsewhere that it's aweful, so I'm curious if that has been addressed. Anyone able to speak to this?

5. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

Mine seemed to have significantly improved. Although, I've reset it to factory for sale and it turns out that put it back to windows 8.1, so I'm having fun messing with that again. It hasn't done a hot "sleep" in months, and also hasn't on the freshly reset windows 8.1, so perhaps it's fixed?

Also, I find the mobile keyboard to be very comfortable, but I have tiny hands and find full sized keyboards to be annoyingly spread out. I get really frustrated trying to use MH's macbook pro. I haven't tried the surface 3 keyboard so I can't compare. That's probably not helpful at all.

6. ARJ

ARJ Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the 4/64 5Y10 version from Best Buy since August and have always had issues with it randomly shutting down. I usually use it with the battery keyboard on a desk and its fine but whenever I try to move it or sometimes when I tilt the screen it just powers off. I've sent it in twice and still have the same problem. Anyone else had issues with this?

7. Rob Halligan

Rob Halligan Pen Pal - Newbie

I seem to go though USB charging cables quickly on my 7140. The symptoms are that a screen will come up on boot up that says I am hooked up to an under-powered charger and the connection at the tablet gets wobbly. I don't think I abuse the connection points.

Any thoughts on preventing this and where to get quality affordable replacement USBs? I've been getting cheap 2 meter ones off Amazon.

8. Night_wing

Night_wing Pen Pal - Newbie

Dear Rob,

I have specifically made an account to post a reply to your query. I have found a premium cable on Amazon which has been a strong performer over the past three months for me. It is not pricey at all and its extra length offers me ease of movement and more placement options for my Dell 7140 when in use. The link is below. I am also adding the link for a new charger, which comes in handy on the go. So I can leave one unit at home, and the second newer charger in the bag for use if needed.

Hope this helped.

1. Anker Cable: http://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerLi...psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

2. Extra Charger (I found the included USB cable to be of poor build and didn't use it): http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Origi...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

9. Rob Halligan

Rob Halligan Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks much Night_wing I was just thinking about re-posting that somewhere else because a USB just lasted about 10 days. I too like the 6 foot cables. The people I've asked if the longer length would affect the current don’t seem worried that the longer cable would not charge as well.

10. Night_wing

Night_wing Pen Pal - Newbie

If the cable is of good quality, as the one I use is, it does not effect the charge capability. For cheaper ones, it is true that the longer length would result in erratic charging, but I can vouch for this cable. The tablet alone charges in under 2 hours with continuous use and three hours plus if I am charging the keyboard as well.