Dell Venue 11 Pro 7140 (Late 2014)

Discussion in 'Dell' started by jamesstringer, Nov 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tsog

tsog Pen Pal - Newbie

Oh so nothing to do with

then. You made it sound like taxfreetech never sells tablets with mixed parts (why else would you discourage from buying from Dell, given what you typed in that comment). Though given that you also said Dell mislabeled the configuration and never corrected it, I have to wonder if that 5Y71/4GB/256GB version is actually the 5Y71/8GB/256GB SKU.

FWIW my Dell Outlet experience was good. Dell charged me shipping (even though it was free), for which I asked for a refund. After a few back-and-forth emails with a Dell agent in UK, I got the shipping refunded. Would be nice if they never charged it to begin with, but the refund process was amicable.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  2. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 New forum: bit.ly/newTPCR Senior Member

I am glad to hear your experience was much better than my own. My comments were separately partitioned posts for a reason; they, although related, were different thoughts. The one referenced specifically was several comments prior to the other one which was also referenced in your comment here. I am not here to be judge, jury and advocate for either or any store in an absolutist way. I just offer my opinion, one of many possibilities, based on my experiences with both stores; mine was just one "fish's" experience in an "ocean" of possibilities.

Sorry for the ambiguity but I never implied all Certified Refurbished units are new, but some have been new (and many are like-new, meaning no scratches or blemishes, though they technically can have them), which, as I said before, happens for accounting simplicity's sake. Besides, I am very glad you have had a good experience with the Dell Outlet in the UK. My comments were also given in the hope of helping forum members and those browsing its archives have public knowledge of my own unique experience. Please bear in mind, however, that I am serviced by the US Dell Outlet; I have no experience or knowledge about other Dell Outlet operations, including those in the UK. I am happy to see both of us are here for the right reasons, to help others across the Web learn from our own experiences while avoiding the bitterness of trial and error we may have had to pass through.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  3. tsog

tsog Pen Pal - Newbie

That's not what I meant. I was specifically asking why did you think that what taxfreetech sells is better than what Dell Outlet with respect to the condition of the units. And then you brought up the issue of new tablets in Outlet (quite unrelated to what I was askingI have to say), to which I linked a page.

You specifically said to avoid buying from Dell because Dell builds tablets with mixed parts, and so I asked you, do you have any evidence that taxfreetech doesn't sell such tablets? You made it sound like one should buy from taxfreetech because taxfreetech, unlike Dell, doesn't sell tablets with mixed parts. You never once mentioned your customer experience in that comment where you suggested to avoid buying from Dell. In other words, it appears you had your reason to not buy from Dell misstated in that post.

I said "Dell agent in UK"; I never said I bought it from Dell Outlet UK. You yourself mentioned "foreign agents", but you are just jumping to conclusion regarding my experience.

I bought from Dell Outlet US; IIRC I communicated with an agent in UK in the course of resolving my service request (requesting a refund for shipping fee).

So am I. That doesn't make your experience, or mine, any more "representative" than the other. I'm not denying your customer service experience; I'm challenging your implication that one shouldn't buy from Dell because Dell builds tablets using mixed parts and that one should buy from taxfreetech instead. The issue I see is that what taxfreetech sells isn't guaranteed to be mixed-parts-free; in this respect, what taxfreetech sells isn't in any better condition than what Dell Outlet sells as "Certified Refurbished".

4. jslorimor

jslorimor Pen Pal - Newbie

5. sonichedgehog360

I agree. And yes, they can have mixed parts, but not necessarily, for both Dell and TaxFreeTech. However, all tablets from Taxfreetech, unlike the Dell Outlet, are confirmed to have 8 GB RAM. Moving on. :)

6. internalaudit

internalaudit Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Sonichedgehog, if I were to do a clean reinstall on my 7140, what steps do you think do I need to get that Win 10 Reservation icon to pop up? What is this keep nothing option you are taking about?

Also, about the license being tied to a Microsoft Hotmail Account, how exactly does that work?

I will be swapping to a 500GB drive I got for cheap so I'm not in a rush to get Win 10 but still have to figure out how to do the recovery since my sata dock will not be able to accommodate the m2 drives so I may have to go the USB recovery disk route. :(

Thanks in advance.

7. sonichedgehog360

If you are still not getting the Windows 10 upgrade icon, ensure your Windows 8.1 system is fully upgraded and then use this tool, which has worked for me and several individuals I have helped:

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-get-the-windows-10-upgrade-icon-if-its-missing/

The "keep nothing" option is for when upgrading to Windows 10 within the old system running Windows 7 or 8.1. Using the "keep nothing" option, you are essentially clearing all apps and settings. However, all drivers from 7 or 8.1 which still work in Windows 10 will carry over, for better and for worse. So, it's not exactly a clean install but it's not an upgrade in the traditional sense, either.

Concerning the Windows 10 license, for people who upgrade to Windows 10 from 8.1 or 7, my understanding is it is tied to the individual's Microsoft Account in combination with their unique hardware configuration data. You first have to perform an upgrade to get your license reserved forever. Once you do this, your Microsoft Account and hardware will be registered forever in Microsoft's activation servers.

As a side note, there is no unique activation key given to your device when you upgrade. Users have noted this in the RTM build when using Magical Jelly Bean KeyFinder: there is no traditional unique 25 character key assigned to each Windows 10. In fact, it appears to be the very same key in the registry regardless of device. So, whenever you perform any later reinstallation, clean or upgrade, after having installed Windows 10 for the first time, you simply use your Microsoft account as the "key" on the same system as before.

Also, to repeat what I said earlier, you can use the Windows 10 RTM image today to upgrade from 8.1 or 7 if (1) you perform it within the old system running Windows 7 or 8.1, and (2) that system is showing the Windows 10 upgrade reservation icon. This way, you can perform the same upgrade process as if it were July 29th far ahead of schedule. Granted, there won't be security and feature-related updates that may be added--updates that will be added to the RTM upgrade image during the preinstallation process and that will likely not be baked in since RTM is already here. I did the upgrade myself with my Venue running Windows 8.1 and as you can see, it is fully activated with no expiration and it runs very well if I do say so myself. :)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
    internalaudit likes this.
  8. MrPhilo

MrPhilo Pen Pal - Newbie

Does anyone know how to disconnect the battery and the cmos battery from the Dell Venue Pro 11 7140? I've opened up the case but the battery seems to be connected to the motherboard with 5-6 thin cables, seems like im pulling something off connected to the motherboard and the cmos seems to be stuck under the inner case? Can anyone if possible check for me and show me a picture what to do?

My Dell is stuck on black screen due to being connected to a mobile dock while updating the bios, I have been told to disconnect the battery and cmos and it should fix it self, or send it in which would be a lot of hassle just for this. WOULD be really appreciated if someone can help me on this favour...

9. sonichedgehog360

internalaudit likes this.
  10. Spoonie

Spoonie Pen Pal - Newbie

Is it me or is the Dell Venue (7140) the best tablet (Android, iOS, Windows) that you can get right now? I own a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro, iPad Mini 2, Nvidia Sheild LTE Android Tablet (sold it), and the Dell is what I use the most. I don't even have any complaints against the screen. And this against the Retina Display on my iPad and the Almost 4k display on my Lenovo. The sound is great and the recent drivers got rid of any network connection issues I was having. This is really a solid unit. Had it for a little over 2 months and I love it.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.