Dell Venue 11 Pro 7140 (Late 2014)

Discussion in 'Dell' started by jamesstringer, Nov 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tsog

tsog Pen Pal - Newbie

SSD too small, and I'd like more RAM. Both are downgrades from my 7130.

Yup I got that one (but it was $699 at the time :( ) Mine came missing the screw in the slot, though that just makes it easier for me to open the back. I have no idea how that seller got Dell refurb ones as I've been tracking Dell Outlet and never saw the 8GB 7140 version. There was a 50% off outlet Venue coupon too.... but no 8GB versions.

2. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 New forum: bit.ly/newTPCR Senior Member

The seller informed me that they have a special longstanding reseller relationship with Dell which is quite different than just some eBay sellers who buy and resell Outlet units. Additionally, even this eBay seller was originally told that their 7140 units were only 4 GB; they were much cheaper for this eBay seller until they discovered this notable difference and informed Dell who, upon hearing this, raised the price for them and they had to raise the price to what we are seeing today. Apparently, it is a typo that still remains uncorrected by Dell's repurposing and reconditioning department. I would still strongly recommend against going through the Dell Outlet directly for purchasing since sometimes tablets can he rebuilt using mixed parts (for example, a 5y71 motherboard with only 4 GB RAM combined with a 256 GB SSD, a configuration that technically does not exist for sale on Dell's "For Work" site but could be created since both parts are available).

3. tsog

tsog Pen Pal - Newbie

Any proof that the ones sold by this seller aren't?

As far as I can see my 7140 also has the green Refurbished sticker on the back, like my 7130 from Dell Outlet. The sticker on my 7140 says the same thing: "This product may contain a combination of new, refurbished or previously used parts."

taxfreetech also sells an SKU that never existed in either Dell Home or Dell Business: 5Y70 + 8GB/256GB.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/B-Dell-Venu...457?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ee37133b9

In the product descriptions, it even says
    While they might have a special relationship with Dell (and frankly, I bet quite a few sellers do as well), it doesn't given me any reassurance that what they sell aren't rebuilt using mixed parts. Given it's manufacturer refurbished, I actually expect it to be rebuilt with mixed parts, and buy knowing this full well.

If I find a good deal on Dell Outlet, I wouldn't hesitate to buy from Dell again.

4. jslorimor

jslorimor Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm trying to track down a car charging solution for a 7140 that can handle 24vdc. Has anyone run across anything?

Thanks

5. sonichedgehog360

The SKU you mention did actually exist, just that it was from when the Venue 7140 was initially launched in October/November of last year. There was a mid-life refresh of the 7140 models in January when Intel launched an improved selection of CPUs in the Core M line. This included the 5y71 which took the place of the original 5y70.

Interestingly, I have been told that many of the Dell refurbished tablets are often "new"; that is, many are returns that result from the customers just not wanting the product. That is my understanding from my conversations with veterans in the Dell Rockstar group and Dell representatives who interface with us. Just some food for thought.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  6. sonichedgehog360

7. tsog

tsog Pen Pal - Newbie

Dell does sell new computers in Dell Outlet. "Dell Outlet New" is the product condition.

http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/22/campaigns/why-dell-outlet-usdfh

They also seem to be correspondingly more expensive, but if you can find an applicable coupon...

As far as I can tell what taxfreetech sells isn't "Dell Outlet New" condition but rather the "Certified Refurbished" condition.

8. sonichedgehog360

Again, that is correct but there is a little more to it. Those "Dell Outlet New" units are either cancelled orders whose boxes are never opened, or they are overstock. Still, sometimes, these new units will make it to the refurbished lots just for accounting simplicity's sake. Additionally, in the case of returns whose boxes are opened by the customer, if the units are opened at all, they are required to be sold as "Certified Refurbished." These might be in like-new condition and even may still be unpackaged inside the opened mailing boxes, but they are still classified in this way.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  9. tsog

tsog Pen Pal - Newbie

That still doesn't tell me why buying from Dell Outlet is a bad idea.

Give me some source that says Dell grades the condition differently for taxfreetech vs. Dell Outlet. Screenshot of your email, perhaps?

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  10. sonichedgehog360

I was speaking about product details and not actually the quality of service of the Dell Outlet versus TaxFreeTech but since you ask, I can gladly offer some feedback in that regard. My beef with Dell Outlet was the incompetency of their foreign agents in placing and processing orders properly. I had to go as far as contacting Dell's domestically staffed top-tier support agents at SpiceWorks to get things sorted out in the past. These off-shored agents just could not get anything right: owner information, pricing, etc. This was the nightmare that was mine when I tried getting a 7139 unit last year. Maybe I was an outlier or obscure case but my problem was quite real and I never had any issue getting my 7140 unit at TaxFreeTech.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.