Dell Venue 11 Pro 7140 (Late 2014)

Discussion in 'Dell' started by jamesstringer, Nov 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tabfan

tabfan Pen Pal - Newbie

Nice findings and work on my 7140. This solved my problem: CoreM drains too much battery compared to Atom, about 2% per hour, so automatic hibernation is a must for this computer. Fortunately hibernation is very fast on this machine, no hassle. Wish less than 4 hours possible.

2. tabfan

tabfan Pen Pal - Newbie

Create a new txt file anywhere and rename it to "hip.bat" and copy to it this line:

powercfg -setactive %1

Then create a shortcut to it. Right click on the shortcut, select properties, make the Target field look like this:

C:\Users\Mary\Desktop\hip.bat "8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c"

I.e., add a space and then "8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c" to the target line.

Create another shortcut, but the target line looks like this instead:

C:\Users\Mary\Desktop\hip.bat "381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e"

Now you can double click on these shortcuts to switch to High Performance and Balanced modes.

3. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

I want to add a post-postscript addendum of many other possible ways to have a permanently accessible high performance power plan in Windows' own Power Options, and, trust me, you will gain truly amazing power configurability right at your fingertips! This will be a little more technically involved and, as such, I am not writing an entire guide to it. The long of the short of it is first activate high performance mode using the batch file shown here. After doing so, you use the program OpenPowerCfg to see the specific power settings for high performance and take note of them, such as taking some screen captures.

After that, you create a new power option using the normal method in Windows' Power Option under Create Power Plan. You can even call it High Performance if you so desire but if you do, I recommend deactivating the real High Performance mode before doing this. Then, edit this new power plan in OpenPowerCfg to match High Performance as you noted previously and be sure to have the two settings "Options->Apply Changes" and "Power->Force" always checked when going through this long and arduous process.

After finally finishing editing your new power plan to match the actual High Performance power plan, take a moment and pat yourself on the back for a job well done, because you now finally have a permanently accessible High Performance power plan of your own making that you can always and forever easily access from the actual power options menu in Windows. Awesome, huh?

(I hope to write more daily tips like this on my own website Tabletop Tech but I digress.)

Let me also take a moment to emphasize the vast selection and infinite possibilities you have with OpenPowerCfg : you can to create custom power settings of other types as well, adjusting the CPU TDP (listed as Config TDP Level) to High TDP (6W), Nominal TDP (4.5W) and Low TDP (4W); boosting or lowering the Intel Graphics Power Plan to Maximum Performance, Balanced and Maximum Battery Life; video quality settings for "When playing video"; etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. Okay, I am geeking out a bit, but I hope you enjoy the electrifying, power-sipping-or-power-hog-if-you-choose, electron lassoin' mastery you gain with this!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  4. sonichedgehog360

What the heck. Here are screen captures of the complete settings for the Venue 11 Pro 7140's High Performance power plan as seen in OpenPowerCfg.

High Performance Settings 1.PNG High Performance Settings 2.PNG High Performance Settings 3.PNG High Performance Settings 4.PNG High Performance Settings 5.PNG

internalaudit and FZelle like this.
  5. internalaudit

internalaudit Pen Pal - Newbie

So I picked up a 500GB MX200 m2 2260 for the 7140 on ebay for cheap -- $125.

What is the best and easiest way to make a recovery USB drive so I can install the drive and just factory restore the Dell image ? I don't have a dual layer DVD burner and not sure if 4.7GB dvd's will do.

6. cliffr39

cliffr39 Pen Pal - Newbie

You could easily just make a single .bat file that presents the options to select like:
    :menu
    set /p select=1) See current active plan 2) Set high performance profile 3) Set balance profile ?
    if "%select%"=="" goto menu
    if "%select%"=="1" goto now
    if "%select%"=="2" goto hpp
    if "%select%"=="3" goto bp

:now
    powercfg -list
    goto menu

:hpp
    powercfg -s 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c
    exit

:bp
    powercfg -s 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e
    exit​

As said above "REMEMBER TO CHANGE the .txt extension to .bat"
    I'm sure it could be better coded, but it's 2am and my mind is fuzzy :)

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  7. sonichedgehog360

Windows 10 RTM (build 10240) on my Venue is fully activated and working without a hitch or hiccup. The way to get a full Windows license is, like I did, to upgrade from a valid Windows 8.1 (or 7) installation from within operating system. In my case, I kept my installation as squeaky clean as possible by choosing the "keep nothing" option. It appears that upgrades are tied to the Microsoft account since the same generic key is on all machines and I can now clean install using my Microsoft account. By the way, there are touchscreen and WiFi drivers built into the installation files so no mouse or keyboard is necessary! Plus, there are zero driver discrepancies or OS bugs up to this point. I am absolutely loving this new OS. In fact, I haven't been happier since Windows 7 ! (Or, similarly, Windows 2000, but that reaches way, way back in time when I was still a youngster in elementary school.)

Capture.PNG

Written in Microsoft Edge

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
    internalaudit likes this.
  8. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

Why did you return it?

9. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

I've been eyeing the BestBuy low end version of this model with the folio keyboard. Question: If you are using the DVP11 7140 with the thin folio keyboard attached, can you use it as a tablet without having to detach the keyboard somehow? Can you flip the keyboard around and let it stick to the back while in tablet mode, like you can with the Surface type cover?

10. sonichedgehog360

I'm not the poster but I am pretty sure I can file this down to one small, simple, satisfactory answer: price. Even at its limited time sale price of $500 for the Best Buy model, you (like me and many others here in the forums) can get this far superior refurbished model in like-new condition with Dell's full one year warranty for $689 on eBay from TaxFreeTech. By the way, the seller has 100% feedback on over 2000 ratings since 1998!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221802953492

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.