Dell Venue 11 Pro 7140 (Late 2014)

Discussion in 'Dell' started by jamesstringer, Nov 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tabfan

tabfan Pen Pal - Newbie

Then my 7140 can no longer sleep - hibernate only.

2. tsog

tsog Pen Pal - Newbie

Sleep is still an option. Just not CS.

[​IMG]

After using the vPro 7130 (which doesn't have CS because of vPro anyway) I got used to shutting down my tablet when not using. Losing CS is no big deal for me.

3. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 New forum: bit.ly/newTPCR Senior Member

There is no need to disable connected standby if you are looking to nudge the power options into high gear. Look no further than OpenPowerCfg ( https://code.google.com/p/open-powercfg/ ) and you can change the processor frequency scaling there. One feature that I will try as soon as I get my 7140 with Core M-5Y71 on Monday is the user hidden TDP up setting; logically speaking, it should allow changing to the 6W TDP up setting Intel's reference tablet, the Llama Mountain, uses. It may even allow users here to get the Surface Pro 3-esque performance that the Llama Mountain was able to pull off.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  4. sonichedgehog360

Just a few words of advice for those people who are wanting to join the 7140 owner's club and are strapped for cash. If you are a deal hunter looking for a reputable source for dirt cheap 7140's, set your crosshairs on TaxFreeTech. Their level of customer service is second-to-none on eBay.

Indeed, they hold an extremely rare 100% feedback rating and have been around since 1998. I swear, communication is blindingly fast, to the point that I got messages back within minutes consistently. Ditto on handling time: I ordered two days ago and, if it were not for the Independence Day holiday, I would have my package today.

It is certainly a night-and-day difference from the infuriating chats with the incompetent agents at the Dell Outlet. As we speak, there are only 8 units left in stock of the Core M-5Y71, 256 GB SSD, 8 GB RAM model:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Venue-...tel-Core-M-5Y71-Windows-8-1-PRO-/221802953492

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  5. sonichedgehog360

I seriously think I am going to look into this. A family member also really wants a 7140, except they want a new one, and also want 4G. So if this person decides to pounce on the Best Buy $499 deal today, I will figure out how to do this for them. Any idea on the antennas part of this: are they needed/recommended?

6. sonichedgehog360

Does the Huawei work with Verizon or would I need something else? Thanks!

EDIT: Never mind. It does work. For forum outsiders perusing, Huawei's website confirms as much. For USA, you need the V model, as in ME906V: http://consumer.huawei.com/sg/solutions/m2m-solutions/products/tech-specs/me906v-sg.htm

EDIT2: Upon further investigation, it sounds like according to elsewhere in the thread just AT&T may work with the Huawei and only the official Dell cellular card may support other providers.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  7. tabfan

tabfan Pen Pal - Newbie

When I click on "Sleep" it goes actually into HIbernate.

8. sonichedgehog360

Actually, you can have your cake and eat it too, or have high performance mode in connected standby just as you would if you kept the Dell stock installation. Just follow the instructions below to enable high performance mode again. Note that you must run the batch file as an administrator:

Here is a quick tutorial on how to get High Performance mode back on your Surface Pro 3 [or any Windows 8.1 device] without losing sleep or connected standby.

Directions:
    Open Notepad:
    Paste this:
    powercfg -setactive 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c

Rem 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c high performance

Rem 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e balanced

Rem powercfg -list

REMEMBER TO CHANGE the .txt extension to .bat
    As a past Surface owner, I also recommend using the following guide for enabling automatic hibernation to save battery life. Doing so will put your device into hibernation automatically whenever there is 4 hours of inactivity. This behavior already occurs on the Surface Pro 3 and Surface 3 by default and works while connected standby is enabled. This technique will work on all Windows 8.1 devices, be them 32-bit or 64-bit, and I believe it also works on Windows 10 but I have yet to verify this myself:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2998588

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  9. tsog

tsog Pen Pal - Newbie

Still no go. It re-enables and changes the power plan to High Performance, but once I selected Balanced, High Performance plan is no longer available. I have re-enabled CS to test it. I also ran powercfg -l to confirm this. High Performance is listed after running batch file; after changing power plan to Balanced, High Performance is no longer listed. I use Power Saver and High Performance interchangeably. Loss of Sleep/CS is not important to me, but I understand if it is for someone else.

10. sonichedgehog360

Understood. Like you mentioned, some people prefer connected standby for continual notifications, which, in my case, is for email. Here's a thought: you could place a shortcut to the batch file on your desktop or start screen to re-enable high performance mode on-the-fly. By the way, batch files could also be made and shortcuts created for power saver and balanced mode as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.