Dell Venue 11 Pro 7140 (Late 2014)

Discussion in 'Dell' started by jamesstringer, Nov 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. internalaudit

internalaudit Pen Pal - Newbie

Two questions.

1) After doing most of the Dell updates and Win 8.1 updates and disabling hibernate, I'm left with just 15 GB of space ( I have the 64 GB Bestbuy version that has gone back up to $799 or so). There is a prompt on the notification area to create a restore disk, can we actually use a USB stick instead of a DVD for this? After creating a recovery usb/dvd, can we actually remove the recovery partition on the ssd? If so, has it been posted here?

2) With all the talk about Windows 10 and that reserve 10 pop-up.notification, anyone know how to make this prompt come out sooner than later? I haven't seen it show on my 7140 but then again, I only use the tablet mostly when commuting on the train to and from work. I have done all the important updates though while at home.

2. tabfan

tabfan Pen Pal - Newbie

I still have 38GB left from the 64GB, after Office XP, Lightroom 6 and PowerDirector 13. I never update anything. I set hibernation file to 50% (default 75%). You should keep hibernation, because Connected Standby drains about 1-2% per hour, too much compared to Atom. You use Windows' built in backup utility to back up to a USB stick, check the transfer recovery checkbox, then at the end it'll ask you if you want to delete recovery partition.

I bought one from BestBuy but returned it because Dell outlet is only $299, no keyboard though, but I cannot stand with Surface kind of keyboards anyway and I bought a battery dock keyboard. I'm typing this post while lying down on a sofa, Surface owners give this a try.

internalaudit likes this.
  3. cutterjohn

cutterjohn Pen Pal - Newbie

if you either in this thread or the t300 chi thread, i posted geekbench 32b scores. the 7140 handily beats the t300 on battery and still beats it when it's on ac. the t300 i found onbattery throttled to ~4.6W and ~12W on ac, max i believe but that is controllable by bios. the 7140 ran at ~6W on battery max. also the 5y10c t300(tested) only runs ram single channel, while 7140 is dual.

the only differences i can see in the specs of the 5yXZs are base clock, max turbo, and gpu clock ranges PERIOD. i imagine in the future that intel will find imaginative ways to cripple lower models so as to better differentiate them. oh, there was some bug mentioned in the earlier steppings but i couldnt find the relevant errata, so im thinking it was just to create the middle skus 31 & 51.

4. internalaudit

Would I need a 8 or 16 GB flash drive to back up to? I don't collect flash drives anymore, haha. TIA.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
  5. tabfan

tabfan Pen Pal - Newbie

I used a 16 but did not pay attention to how much space left. I already format it - I don't need it, because I have DVD restore discs made from the Dell utility for full factory reset.

6. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 New forum: bit.ly/newTPCR Senior Member

Just popping in to ask: has the A03 stylus fixed the issues, including the stiff tip and draining battery, that the older A01 and A02 revisions had? I am seriously considering order a 7140 with 5Y71 because I do not like having a tablet with a fan.

7. Xer0

Xer0 Pen Pal - Newbie

what screw has to be used to secure the modem card?

i read its something between M2-M3 and 2-3mm short
    but i cant find these anywhere except bundled with ssd's

8. internalaudit

9. tsog

tsog Pen Pal - Newbie

I ended up returning the 4GB/64GB version to Bestbuy and got a refurb 5Y71/8GB/256GB instead. Doing my usual setup right now and the CPU is 30% utilization @ 2.8ghz for 10 minutes plus. Much more sustained performance-friendly than my 7130, which throttles down to <1.4ghz for sustained loads.

10. tsog

tsog Pen Pal - Newbie

A heads-up: if you find that your tablet is missing power profiles in Power Options, try disabling Connected Standby. I was using my 7140 on High Performance profiled and changed it to Balanced. Soon after, I noticed that High Performance is missing from Power Options (and Power Saver was always missing). I did some Googling and this thread solved it:
    http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/mobile-devices/f/4586/t/19578910

No idea why Dell enabled Connected Standby on 5Y71, but turning it off showed all three power profiles in Power Options. I can also see more settings in the advanced power settings popup as well, including settings I have never seen before (like an option to change TDP level).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.