Dell Venue 11 (7140) or Lenovo Helix 2nd Gen

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by gaidin43, Feb 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gaidin43

gaidin43 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have been seriously considering a Dell Venue 11 for some time now. However, I am trying to see if it is worth spending the little extra money on the Helix 2. Other then the obvious size difference between the two, the specs seem to be very similar. I would buy the battery keyboard for the dell, but the helix the keyboard with the battery is $400 more which is a little high and obviously adds to the price of the tablet.

I will be using this mostly for travel word processing for work, and light media and web browsing. I have been using a 8.4 galaxy pro tablet for this and its just too small to keep going with it.

What are people's thoughts on the differences between these two? Any suggestions with pros and cons for either tablet?

http://www.dell.com/us/p/dell-venue-11-pro-7000-7140/pd?ref=PD_OC
    http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/tablet...x-2nd-gen/?sb=:000001C9:00013475:#tab-reviews

Allie likes this.
  2. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Depends on your needs and what you will using for. The Helix 2 offers a better pen, and possibly better display(11.6" is a more common size). Also, if it matters both of the devices(tablet portion) weighs about the same, despite a difference in size.

I can't speak for Dell, but I have had a ThinkPad product in the past can say ThinkPad services is excellent and if you are in the states their service and call center is in Georgia if I am not mistaken.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
    Allie likes this.
  3. Allie

Allie Pen Pal - Newbie

What about the HP x2 1101 I've seen mentioned here? Similar specs to the Lenovo, but better looking.

4. gaidin43

Biggest issue I have with the HP is the stand/keyboard. It's similar to the slim keyboard on the dell and not very practical unless you are at a table or desk.

The pen input I'm not too concerned about. It may be a nice extra but not something I use now or have plans for. The bigger screen size might be nice when it comes to documents though. I looked at the surface as well but it is not fanless and seems too large to be a practical tablet.

Biggest things I'm looking for is fanless, light weight, 1080p screen, good keyboard for typing, and travel friendly.

Seems the price for the helix 2 keyboard at 400 is a bit extreme and the price of the helix is overall almost double that of the dell with the keyboard.

5. gaidin43

Tablet I want to be able to use media on it while on flights and for reading ebooks. I don't hate the pen just never used one. Right now my set up is two phones iPhone 6 and Samsung galaxy 5, 8.4 galaxy pro tablet, and a sager 15.6 in laptop with a giant brick. I'm thinking the dell could replace the tablet and the laptop and I compensation everything I do on the tablet (light games, web browsing, reading, and media) and still be productive with the keyboard for excel and word.

6. gaidin43

What's the form factor of the helix? Is it 16:10 as well?

7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

There are two keyboards for the HP. The travel keyboard is useless IMO. The clamshell power keyboard looks great. You can get a Core M 1011 G1 for under $1,200 without any additional discount (which you are sure to get if you wait for a coupon). Still, unless you want a Wacom pen, the Venue is far less expensive for much of the same thing. Same thing for the Helix 2. Wacom pen is the real advantage of those systems. The new clamshell keyboard for the Venue 11 looks really good. Wait for one of Dell's rotating sales and you can probably save almost $500 off the price of the G1 and a couple of hundred off the price of the H2.

As far as service is concerned, HP Dell and Lenovo all offer comparable service. HP has the edge there with a 4 year NBD carepak available for othe G1. The Helix looks to only offer Depot coverage (at least on the website - can you get a 3 year NBD anyone?). Dell offers additional year of coverage and accidental protection but no NBD onsite warranty that I can tell. Big advantage to the G1 for business users and, maybe some students who can't be without a notebook.

HP & Helix are 16:9.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  8. gaidin43

Does HP still do the 30% coupons they used to do?

Is there any where I can actually handle the G1 in person? I found the dell at best buy and messed with it there a little bit before buying it from the website. I have not been able to find a place to put hands on the Helix 2.

Another down side to the helix is the battery keyboard is another $400 on top of the cost of the tablet.

I am looking to upgrade the dell with a 256gb drive and LTE, but before I dump another 250$ into it, I want to see if I can get the HP or Helix with similar for similar pricing.

9. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

What's your status? Did you keep the Dell or get a Helix 2? I'm in the same boat right now. Had a Toshiba Portege Z10t-A2111 i7-Haswell, switched to Helix 1st gen (thing was freaking way too hot to use comfortably as a tablet on the lap), and am now researching between Helix 2 and 7140.

Hows the stylus on the 7140? I need a good pen for note taking at school.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.