Dell Venue 11 7130 Crackling Sound when in Windows 10 - Dell's View

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Rob Halligan, Aug 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob Halligan

Rob Halligan Pen Pal - Newbie

When I installed Windows 10 on my Dell Venue 11 7130, I started intermittently hearing a crackling sound in any sound coming through its speakers and the headphones. After doing all the usual prosumer googling, re-installing, and messing with drivers, nothing fixed it. So, I called Dell Pro Support. They said they had heard about the issue and were expecting a Realtek driver to be released shortly that would fix the problem.

My response was that their Dell Support site says my model is ready for Windows 10. If a driver is making the sound these machines not work well (sometimes unusable), shouldn't their site say that these aren't ready for W10?

If both the Windows and Realtek drivers are causing this problem, wouldn't all similar machines exhibit the same symptoms? The tech didn't know. Is everybody with Venue 11 7130 experiencing this in W10? Are some of you?

2. GuyC

GuyC Pen Pal - Newbie

Mine is doing that also, I just got it yesterday, never had any tablet ever, went for the windows 10 upgrade right away, seemed like the best thing to do. Freaked me out a little but videos and audio besides its own sounds seem fine. I actually got this for live audio performances and it seems to work for my purposes fine.

3. Rob Halligan

Hey GuyC - It seems to happen to mine when the CPU is above a certain percentage. It may be when it's above 40%. Dell Pro Support which is (generally very good thought) setting this "minimum processor state" to 100% could be on occasional work-around (I haven't tried it): http://1drv.ms/1LB4M0T

It happens to mine occasionally with Windows sounds but not always. After playing a CPU intensive video, it often starts to crackle in both Windows sound and in the video.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  4. GuyC

GuyC Pen Pal - Newbie

Oh man on videos too? When the CPU is maxed cracklings and wobbling occurs, I know this because I ran a maxed out audio project and it tanked the CPU. Which is troubling because my PC laptop with the same specs, i5 8gb ram can handle this particular project with ease. Only difference is the other is win8

Anyways what kind of video is nailing the CPU? That doesn't sound good..

5. Rob Halligan

I don't mean that video alone is kicking my CPU usage up to 35%. Just having numerous applications open and many browser tabs open can kick it over 35%. I did mean that video sounds, system sounds, and music can all make the crackling happen through both the speakers and headphones.

6. tsog

tsog Pen Pal - Newbie

I have seen this issue before. My 7130 has an audio defect where certain parts of certain songs cause the audio signal to crackle (whether internal speakers or external headphones); my guess is a frequency-related issue. Furthermore, if CPU is under load, the audio will lag; I chalked this up as a side-effect of the broader issue of the 7130's severe thermal throttling. I always keep Task Manager open and often see CPU dip under 1 GHZ under sustained load (such as opening Chrome with a dozen tabs and half a dozen plugins), well below even the 1.6 GHZ clock rate at TDP level. All this on a Windows 8.1 7130 that was always on High Performance plan.

If you are adventurous you can try to squeeze a bit more MHZ (like 100-200) from the CPU by undervolting via Intel XTU (be prepared for lots of trial and error and system crashes), and/or try the BIOS edit guide in one of the threads that temporarily increases the temp limit of the CPU. I gave up and got a 7140, though I may go back and try to undervolt my 7130 again now that it's not my main PC.

7. Rob Halligan

Jeeesh tsog. I'd hoped we'd put that stuff behind us years ago. Thanks for your thoughtful words and transfer of knowledge. I wish these MS EOMs would mimic the "It Just Works" ethos. I haven't had a PC without a major flaw in years. I've forced Dell and HP to take back computers that they couldn't get to work and give me new ones...and still.

8. tsog

tsog Pen Pal - Newbie

I've largely had good experiences with Windows machines, though in this one case the thermal throttling was too much. I'm not a heavy user (web browsing, video streaming, and playing music is all I do on personal PC) but the thermal throttling was not a good experience to say the least. Dell at least redeemed it with the 7140. No fans, and under sustained load CPU is generally 1.8-2.0 GHZ with near 100% utilization, unlike my 7130 that dips to 600-900 MHZ with 30-50% utilization. No audio crackling issue on 7140, but I did notice an audio signal noise issue with external speakers that goes away if I unplug and re-plug the AUX cable.

Both my 7130 and 7140 are refurbished units so that might explain some things.

9. WCT

WCT Pen Pal - Newbie

I noticed my Venue always had a crackling sound when watching videos. I initially thought it was my Chrome browser setting, because many people complained about the same issues. After I updated to Windows 10, I noticed the crackling sound only happens when I'm mutli-tasking. IE, I'll be streaming music from Youtube, everything is fine until I scroll down in the same browser or open another program. So it got me thinking my cpu seems to be not keeping up with mutli-tasks. So it led me to ask the question, why can't my CPU handle streaming music and running other programs-its an i5 with 8gb ram.

Solution: I used these two links.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/mobile-devices/f/3824/t/19576995

I disabled my throttle and everything seems to be running at its full potentials. Good luck.

10. Rob Halligan

Thanks WTC. All these solutions seem to be very different ways to get to CPU throttling. I haven't yet tried the one Dell gave me (mentioned above).

If Dell throttled the CPU to keep its temperature down, do you all have overheating problems after applying these different fixes?