Dell to issue out a Dell Venue 8 Pro simultaneous power-data dongle

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Mikerman, Jul 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. defram

defram Pen Pal - Newbie

My 2TB USB 3.0 does not work, will try a 1TB tonight and post the results....

2. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You're absolutely right. But the price still feels heavy, and my understanding is that consumer electronics companies make out very well with accessories (and more than the profit margin on the products-in-chief). I especially feel for you all in the EU, paying more than double the U.S. (already higher) price. Recommended: the Blackberry Playbook charger, compatible with the DV8P and currently under $5 shipped via Amazon.com (and with foldable plug prongs and an attached 6'4" cable). (There also is a different, similarly nicely-priced Blackberry Playbook international charger at Amazon.co.uk.)

3. baiii

baiii Pen Pal - Newbie

Any one try if the dongle will allow charge off a computer usb port?

4. Mikerman

Wow--wonder if it's drive capacity specific as well, then . . . . What manufacturer and model is the portable hard drive?

5. baxter

baxter Scribbler - Standard Member

6. Mikerman

Glad to hear that the portable drive is working directly with the dongle now! And I am SO tired of the moon's interference with electronics. (My newly-replaced router suffered from that for a week, before I gave up on it.)

As to solid state storage, that's an attractive device. Might I also humbly suggest that you keep your eye on this: PNY 128GB Turbo Flash Drive - USB 3.0, Up To 190MB/s Read and 130MBs Write (P-FD128TBOP-GE) at TigerDirect.com

The price seems to fluctuate every few days, and recently was at a nice $39.99, and a few days before that, with a nice $7 rebate thrown in as well--and so, a capless 128GB USB 3.0 flashdrive for $32.99 after rebate. :)

7. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

But there is a big difference beteen a real ssd and these USB sticks.
    I have an inatech uas enclosure with a sandisk ssd and a sandisk extreme USB stick.
    On Paper they are not far apart. In real life they are worlds apart.

So it is nice to have the ssd working direct.

8. baxter

baxter Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for the link ... added to my watch list. The price is back to $60. I will pull the trigger in the $30-$40 range.

I am very pleased with the Dell dongle (but not the price). It sure beats the "rats nest" of cables that work sometimes, but mostly not.

9. sapri

sapri Pen Pal - Newbie

I purchased that Dell dongle in Germany for 37,50 €....
    That's around 48 $ :eek:

At least it arrived within 2 days ^^

10. Mikerman

Not to go off-topic, but: I know that the EU has VAT, but I just don't understand the sometimes vast price differences (for this and other electronics, for example) between the EU and the U.S. I guess it's just, charge whatever you can (get away with)? Or is the cost of living in the EU that much greater than in the U.S.?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.