Dell to issue out a Dell Venue 8 Pro simultaneous power-data dongle

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Mikerman, Jul 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. defram

defram Pen Pal - Newbie

This is awesome news, thanks for testing.

2. baxter

baxter Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, I just tried another external hard drive plugged directly into the Dell dongle with a 2.1A charger into the micro USB port and it works just fine. Also, I dug out my external DVD USB drive and it also works. However, it is old and externally powered.

The clue here is my current measurement on the peripheral port which was about 120mA. Probably anything requiring greater current than this will not work directly on the dongle port. The USB specification requires a default delivery of 100mA and negotiation with the peripheral for higher currents.

Toshiba Canvio (USB 2.0) ---> works
    WD Passport (USB 3.0) ---> does not work
    SSD in an inateck enclosure (USB 2.0,/3.0) ---> works and is fast
    Seagate GoFlex (USB 2.0) ----> works

My conclusion: if you want a HD direct connect to the dongle. stick with USB 2.0. I think USB 3.0 draws too much current.

Edit:

More findings:

The SSD in an inateck enclosure works without power being supplied to the dongle micro USB port.
    Other drives do not work unless power is supplied to the micro port.

The dongle power port works just fine with an external battery using either a data pins shorted
    cable or a regular data cable.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  3. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks for all the testing! Sure, that's what I get for being forward-thinking and buying a USB 3.0 portable hard drive . . . . ;) Fortunately for ease of use, had picked up a 128GB flashdrive from Tiger Direct a few weeks ago on super sale, for use as a backup for the DV8P.

4. nerdteddy

nerdteddy Scribbler - Standard Member

Two complaints:

1. The cable is too short. You can't conveniently use the tablet in your hand while connected to a USB hard drive.

2. You can't reverse the cable connection. For example, with the Dell OEM power supply and WD Passport USB HD and their USB cables, you reverse the cable such that the longer Dell cable goes between the dongle and the DV8P and the shorter HD cable goes between the power supply and the dongle. And then you connect the dongle cable end to the HD.

Well, it doesn't work. It still sees the HD but it does not charge.

Not a deal breaker, but that sucks.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  5. Mikerman

And so, I'm guessing from this that you really just want a longer cable between the DV8P and the dongle. If that's the case, how about purchasing an inexpensive extension cable of whatever length you want to place between the DV8P and the dongle?

6. Mikerman

I must say, kudos to Dell for its product fulfillment with the dongle: ordered the dongle Wednesday evening, received it Friday afternoon. Additionally, my credit card provider marked the purchase as a possible fraud and so I needed to handle that issue with Dell; Dell's computer contacted me almost immediately about the issue and the Dell customer service rep. I then spoke with went well beyond the norm to fix matters, even to the extent of expediting my order and tracking it, calling me within an hour of the item's delivery to make sure that I had received it.

I also must say, the dongle is an attractive, well-constructed bit of kit, befitting the DV8P. Engineering-wise, I would have preferred that the power input (the microUSB port) was at the opposite end of the dongle from the dongle cable end that connects to the DV8P, rather than on the side, to streamline the dongle's use and to space the microUSB port away from the full-sized USB port also on the side next to the microUSB port, so that there wouldn't be space issues with some USB devices such as a card reader. In the end, though, recommended, if one might want simultaneous power + data operation. And the price, while higher than what I would like for something like this (I would have liked it at no more than $10), is attractive in comparison to alternatives.

(By the way, if you have a Discover credit card and use the Discover shopping portal to access the Dell site, you can get a 10% cashback bonus on your purchase. Between that and whatever Dell coupon you can find (the 2 can be stacked), you can save just under 20%, perhaps, off the purchase price.)

7. nerdteddy

Bingo!:thumbsup:

8. nerdteddy

So really you're only willing to pay $8 for it...

It's priced well below the prices of the two possible competitors... I think it's fine, actually better, smaller and well-packaged. A winner.

9. Mikerman

Yeah, I really would have liked $8 but didn't want to sound cheap/greedy. ;)

I know that the Dell dongle is much less expensive than the others (in the U.S.) and I'm grateful for that, and it really seems to be well-made, but I just don't get why it has to be as expensive as it is (allowing, of course, for a fair return to Dell). I'm not an engineer, but is there really more expensive magic happening inside? Maybe there really is . . . . (I likewise don't see why a Dell replacement power adapter and cable should cost $20--again, $10 seems more than appropriate to me.)

10. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Because they have to pay for American and European employees, that are way more expensive then chinese.
    You want a fair salary in the US, then you have to pay extra for companies not outsourcing everything to cheap countries.

hjmcgrath likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.