Dell to issue out a Dell Venue 8 Pro simultaneous power-data dongle

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Mikerman, Jul 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jnkstuff

jnkstuff Pen Pal - Newbie

OK. So I was able to copy over all 64GB of my SD card to the hard drive powered by just the power cord and the adaptor from Dell while hooked to the DV8P. It took a while. Didn't time it all out but it took over 1 1/2 hours at least. Also noticed that screen remained on for me whole time (thats how I have profile set up when powered) but the power actually dropped like 1 % over the whole transfer. I'm gonna unplug the hard drive and just let it charge with screen off for awhile and see how that works. Then later will see how it functions when I am actually using it with plug in. I'm working now so can't devote full attention to it :)

2. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Cool, and thanks again. Sounds like a nice way to go (and not needing a separate USB OTG cable besides). By any chance, are you able to test out a portable DVD drive with it, when you have non-work time?

3. jnkstuff

Sorry don't have a portable DVD to test. I usually just burn ISO files to a hard drive and run them off the hard drive.

Finally done with work...gonna start seeing how it works with a hub and other stuff :)

4. baxter

baxter Scribbler - Standard Member

I received the Dell Charge and Data USB dongle today and ran a brief test.

Conditions:
    (1) V8P battery at start of test = 69%
    (2) V8P screen brightness = 100% (on constantly)
    (4) Powered hub with wireless keyboard/touch dongle and WD Passport HD plugged in
    (5) 2.1A charger port to Dell dongle micro port
    (6) Duration of test about 40 min.

Results:
    (1) V8P battery at end of test = 73% (time approximate)
    (2) Current delivered to Dell dongle micro USB port = 0.62A
    (3) Current drawn from hub port = 0.12A
    (4) Remove Dell dongle, plug 2.1A charger directly to V8P. Current drawn = 0.84A

Notes:
    (1) Current values are snapshots. Charger Doctor values fluctuate.
    (2) It appears that the current required for charge and data is approximately equal to the current that can be supplied.
    (3) Given observation (2), a pwered hub should be used with the Dell dongle so that more current is avaiable for charging.

Conclusions:
    It works and I will keep it.

5. Mikerman

Thanks, baxter. I wonder: will your WD Passport also run connected directly to the Dell adapter dongle, without needing to use the powered USB hub? And, by any chance, do you have a portable DVD drive to test that way (that is, without using an intervening powered USB hub) likewise?

6. baxter

baxter Scribbler - Standard Member

If the WD Passport is plugged directly into the Dell dongle, the WD drive LED blinks and is not recognized by the V8P. I am pretty certain the same would happen with a portable DVD. I think the key to using the Dell dongle with heavy current drawers is to use a powered hub. When I get time, I am going to try an unpowered hub with two or three USB flash drives.

Edit: My V8P battery is now at 99% with the same conditions as in my previous post.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  7. cmergel

cmergel DBA by trade.

So I have a Asus VivoTab Note 8 which is similar to the Dell V8P with the same type of micro usb. I bought the adapter thinking that this would work with the Asus.

I just received the dell adapter.

So what I am seeing, if power is connected to the adapter nothing works when plugged into the USB slot. I have tried several usb thumb drives, usb mouse, and Lenovo USB hub, it is just not recognized. As soon as I remove the power connection to the hub everything that I just mentioned starts working.

Looks like a compatibility issue with the Asus device. It was worth a try. I just now have an expensive OTG micro adapter now. :)

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  8. Mikerman

Looks like the USB device issue is very specific, jnkstuff being able to power his WD Elements portable hard drive through using the dongle. Was hoping for that solution, to eliminate the intervening powered USB hub extra step/complication . . . .

9. jnkstuff

Checked again....Plugged in powered pulling data off my WD Elements external hard drive. Streamed over a few HD Episodes of a program off the hard drive as I was doing some web surfing. Everything worked but at full brightness I was getting at least a 1% drop per hour even though was plugged in to charge. I can actually deal with that if I'm powering a hard drive.

10. Mikerman

Again, great to hear! Thanks. In the end, sounds like it all depends on the particular drive/attachment, just like with the DV8P's own port--and the dongle literature warns about this and that a powered hub might be needed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.