Dell to issue out a Dell Venue 8 Pro simultaneous power-data dongle

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Mikerman, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Dell_V8P_MicroUSB_Dongle.jpg

The manual for the dongle: ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-prod...lets/dell-venue-8-pro_User's Guide3_en-us.pdf

Per Dell at the Dell forum, a week-and-a-half ago:

Where can I buy the "Dell MicroUSB Dongle For Data and Charging" - Mobile Devices Forum - Mobile Devices - Dell Community

It's early in the day here on a Sunday morning--is my brain still foggy? Don't know how I missed this before. Wow! :)

Mi An likes this.
  2. vst

vst Pen Pal - Newbie

That's about a "day" late and a "dollar" short, don't you think? I wonder why they didn't seize the opportunity before everyone else did?

3. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Oh good grief, this is still great news.

4. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes, and even better, it will be first in europe :thumbsup:

5. BaritoneGuy

BaritoneGuy Pen Pal - Newbie

I want......

6. Duke23

Duke23 Pen Pal - Newbie

Now the question is whether to wait for this, or go ahead and buy a Vener8 because really they should have either a) not made this so stupidly difficult in the first place or b) offered this product along with the V8P's release.

7. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

In my experience, this seems fairly typical in the computer/tech. field--accessories being thought of last, if at all (for example, as far as I'm aware, there still are no neoprene sleeves made by Dell or anyone else for the DV8P, to protect it in a backpack/briefcase/etc.--not a major issue until you realize that the DV8P has a larger mini-tablet shape and that after-market products from other sources often typically don't fit, being too small or too large). Candidly, I'm surprised that Dell is doing this now (and especially given that alternatives already exist)-- perhaps this evidences Dell's intention to support this platform in the long haul.

8. SolidSonicTH

SolidSonicTH Pen Pal - Newbie

It will be available later here in the US some time early in August.

If that is true then I'm in. Otherwise I'll just settle for a Vener8.

9. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

I was actually thinking this morning (I do that once in a while) about what this design/part means to this community and all users alike. It does not matter if there are other solutions available when this comes out. It does not matter that it may not be the best solution that could have been developed. It does not matter if you even have the V8P any more. What does matter is that someone at Dell got the message, and has admitted, that the (explative deleted) strategy they implemented with the combined mUSB as data and charge port to be like a smart phone was wrong. The message got back and Dell took action. Hopefully we will not see this design philosophy implemented again and will, instead, have either a single port that does both simultaneously or a dedicated charge port.

So it does not matter if the Vener8 is better, Dell got the message and has taken action. Hopefully that action becomes permanent and the V8P2 is fixed from the get-go!

hjmcgrath likes this.
  10. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

What if the message they got was that they can purposefully and arbitrarily cripple the devices, then play the customer-friendly Samaritan by selling overly-priced accessories? HP just learned that from Apple!

I got an OTG cable for my phone recently. I use it to access files of an old IDE hard drive that is inside an USB enclosure. I paid only $2 for the cable on Amazon! PC/Tablet/Phone manufacturers charge a kidney for accessories! Those $100 keyboard-docks and $40 adapters are obscene!