Dell Precision M6600

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Fluffyfurball, Nov 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fluffyfurball

Fluffyfurball Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi folks,

Just starting up a new thread here if I may. I've been aware of the M6600 for some time and its 'ability' to ink. However, its inability to convert to a tablet, its N-trig stylus, and its size made me discount it in preference to something smaller and more capable inking-wise. Fast forward to today. I cancelled my order of a Fujitsu T902 because I'm tired of waiting (among other things); I've put my Mac Pro up for sale as I am always on the road now; my Fujitsu T5010 is becoming unstable. I essentially need a laptop that can do it all. I'm hoping that the M6600 may be it and I just bought one. It'll be here within a week.

I'm still very skeptical about the inking and the mechanics involved in inking with keyboard etc. in the way. I'll let you all know the gory details soon enough. Cheers!

- Rory

2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

wow! Crazy. way to take the plunge. Sorry to hear the T902 was taking too long! That is lame they lost a sale due to their slowness, not sure what is up with them.

I can't wait to hear what you think of it.

I am very interested in getting all the details straight with the new M6700 Covet. According to a few sources in online forums, (including a Dell representative) their may be a Wacom model option coming soon. Whether or not this includes a stylus or if it's just touch is still in the air. I will try calling Dell tomorrow and see if I can get a straight answer.

3. stoneseeker

"Sometime after the initial launch, Dell will add an option for a 10-finger pressure-sensitive touch display developed by Wacom, best known for their pressure sensitive tablets used by digital content creators." - Dell Introduces New Ivy Bridge Workstation Laptops

Fluffyfurball, if this is true, maybe it's worth waiting just a smidge more? Wacom would be worth the wait in a newer, better priced machine... I know your sick of waiting thogh!

*edit* I called Dell, and my customer support guy called technical team and asked my question... He got back to me with a fairly generic response that if I need a stylus enabled touch screen in the immediate future, to go with the M6600. However, he did say that Dell is currently working on potentially getting a Wacom touchscreen for the future, he was unable to answer me whether this included a stylus as well, though I am going to assume that if it is made by Wacom it will have pen support.

soooo looks like it could be too long of a wait anyway. I'll be intersted to see what they come up with if that is the case.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  4. Fluffyfurball

Yeah, I'd wait if I didn't need a computer right now, LOL! I read on the forums that the screen would be touch-only (Wacom touch, how weird!). Basically, nobody is sure, including Dell. When the M6600 first came out it seems there were heaps of hardware and driver issues. I hope that's sorted out.

5. stoneseeker

I really hope it works for you!
    Are you planning on doing a lot of drawing/painting/editing etc. on it? Or is the pen aspect secondary for your uses?

Perhaps building a wooden support you could slip it into when your docked at home to do serious work on it, so you can rest your arm on something while drawing on it with the screen supported from the back. Kind of like a smaller version of what ThatComicguy made? I was thinking that is what I would do if I ever got that beast.
    Curious to know how it works into your routine.

6. Fluffyfurball

Haa hmm, I wonder how it'll fit into the routine too! I mainly ink in OneNote, and enter patient notes into a database: I'm definitely not an artist! I don't have a video camera but I'll post some pictures of how much contortion is necessary to use it. I also don't know how far the screen folds backward. Those are really good ideas re: the wooden supports, thanks! Of course, I'm keeping the T5010 just in case this experiment doesn't work out. I'll get it on Monday, so I'll post the pics by Tuesday or so once everything is working. :)

7. Fluffyfurball

Just a brief update. I got the system and I've been installing and tweaking non-stop for a day. This has got to be the Mercedes Benz of laptops: it's extremely impressive. The outer shell is flimsier than the retired MacBook Pro 17 but the inner skeleton is really something else. The laptop has been flawless thus far. I've just installed Windows 8 with only minor driver foibles (screen refusing to dim, now fixed).

The N-trig digitizer really seems quite decent. The pen strokes don't seem as assured as a Wacom in smoothness, but it really isn't bad at all imo. Certainly you artists would adjust fast to the different feel.

Now the bad news: honestly, I have no idea how people ink on this thing. The laptop is huge and its mass makes it seem like it has a black hole at the centre of it. The screen only folds back 140 degrees and is quite far away from your hand due to the size of the keyboard area. However, there is the possibility of rotating the screen image by 180 degrees allowing one to rest the open screen on the lap to ink. I haven't been so adventurous to try that though. :)

It's a fantastic laptop, though, but it's no tablet pc.

8. stoneseeker

That's the problem I would forsee with that beast, discovering an ergonomic way of inking or drawing on it. Where would I put my arm, how would I hold the screen, etc.

Are you gonna keep it? Or is writing too important for you? What do you need all the semi-mobile power for??

9. Fluffyfurball

Yeah, it's a real problem, but I've been happily inking on the screen nevertheless with my arm hovering in mid-air. :) I have the laptop in a semi-reclining position with the screen supported behind with some books.

The computer comes into play for work (crunching stats for trial data which uses all the cores) and for my photography. My large format film scans can run up to 1GB in size, so power is needed. Oh, it can game too.

Yes, I'm definitely keeping it. I'm already spoiled and it'll be tough to go back. I think you need to try one out. :thumbsup:

10. stoneseeker

If a M6700 comes out with a wacom pen and touch, I'll consider it for sure! I need the wintab support for photoshop, so wacom or bust...
    The T902 is pretty powerful, I must admit. No where near the M6600, but certainly more portable and ergonomic, which I value.

A blend of the two systems is something I will continue to hope for and probably never see... lol