Dell Power Supply with TM2?

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by feivel, Feb 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. feivel

feivel Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi All,

I found a power supply "easter egg," but it's half-scrambled. Can you help unscramble it?

The good news: Standard modern Dell notebook power supplies also fit HP my TM2. Same voltage, same connector, etc.. Great!

The bad news: When the computer is powered on, it completely ignores all non-HP power supplies. No power, no charging, no lights. And this goes for both the Dell bricks and for my generic car power supply.

The interesting news: the TM2 DOES CHARGE the battery WHEN THE COMPUTER IS SUSPENDED OR OFF. I get the little orange light, which eventually turns white. Yay-ish!

The catch is that it's not generally useful when I need my computer. Let's say I use the computer and the battery starts running low. I find a friend with a Dell supply and plug in. I then have to turn the computer off and wait an hour for it to charge, and then work quickly before repeating the cycle. Not practical.

I read a way to hack Dells to think all power supplies were Dells, by wiring the chip into an "adaptor." I couldn't find anything for HP (and I only have one supply anyway). Can anyone suggest a way to make this work HP? Or even better, is there any BIOS setting or some way to get the thing to not be so proprietary? I've got 3 dell supplies that I'd love to use on this computer, and I'd really love to be able to use the computer while parked on occasion.

Thanks and Enjoy!

2. GiOakJoe

GiOakJoe Pen Pal - Newbie

I noticed this to with my dell power suply when I relized I pluged the wrong one in. Glad im not the only one I was kinda scared to use it even though I noticed same volts and amps on both.

3. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

First: there is no way the power supply can "sense" what is on the other end (at most it could check how much power is being drawn, and adjust its output slightly -but that is a pretty rudimentary system in and of itself) same is true for the Tm2 (it can't "sense" what you plugged into it, only the amount of power it is receiving -and then it determines if it is enough do power everything)

Second: the reason it is only working when your Tm2 is in sleep/ Hibernate, is because the power supply simply isn't pumping out enough juice (it sounds like the dell PSU simply can't push out the power needed to power the Tm2, and charge the battery at the same time -after all this is the time of highest power draw)
    As to why; maybe HP is lying about how much power the Core-i Tm2's, and their power supplies actually use (so they can maintain the Energy Star label)

Maybe if you were on Intel GFX, power saver power plan, lowest screen brightness, and whatever else you can do to reduce power use, it might work. But it is easier (and safer) to just buy and use another power supply, or another battery.

4. Zimoich

Zimoich Pen Pal - Newbie

Have you tried to remove the battery?
    Haven´t tried without the battery on my TM2 yet, but should work since then you will only be driving amps to the system and not to both sytem and the charging of the battery.

So still impractical, but better:
    Go on for 4h with battery, temporarily put to sleep, take out battery and pull out you dell charger, up and away.

Perhaps better would be to start with the charger though..

5. blkrx7

blkrx7 Pen Pal - Newbie

I've seen an aweful lot of odd behavior from HP/Dell supplies that share this particular charging tip. I've plugged in a half dozen supplies and not always seen the results I expected.

Several larger HP (95w+) supplies refuse to both charge my battery and run the TM2. Upon plugging it in, the laptop reports 'no battery installed' and runs only off the charger, and some outright do nothing when plugged in (laptop charge indicator briefly flips orange, then goes out). The smaller (65w) supplies tend to work fine.

The 135w Elitebook supplies charge and power the machine just fine.

There is some form of 'detection' going on, be that extremely rudementary by the laptop (checks input voltage, if xyz, refuses to charge, etc) or by the supply.

I've melted some 95w supplies on larger high draw notebooks, so whatever built in protection is in the bricks, it either isn't all that sensitive, or defective. It continued to provide full power while the plastic melted into a puddle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.