Dell LATITUDE XT3 with Windows 8 64bit. not Win 8 Pro

Discussion in 'Dell' started by EspiOne, Nov 26, 2012.

1. EspiOne

EspiOne Pen Pal - Newbie

Our organization is currently waiting for a batch of XT3s, to replace our aging and failing Sony VAIOs (POSes), that we have had for under 2 years, due to "extended warranty" issues, someone forget to register them, we can cannot get them repaired, so we are replacing them.

I will be getting a XT3 as a desktop replacement, (since I am Desktop Support, "Computer Assistant"), they would like me to provide support from home if I need to.

I am looking to dual boot my machine with Windows 7 Ultimate (clean install, remove factory crap) and Windows 8, (Home Version).

Has anyone loaded Windows 8 on there XT3?? Any comments or recommendations would be appreciated.

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I don't have an XT3, but I do have an N-Trig pen on my Slate 500. There is no console that I have seen from N-Trig to permit you to select Auto mode for the pen. Without that, W8 is fairly useless if you do significant inking.

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Has anyone loaded Windows 8 on there XT3?..>>

...More to the point, have you checked the Dell Support page to see if Dell offers Win8 drivers for the XT3? If not, there is a risk that at least some XT3 functionalities may not be enabled...

4. EspiOne

EspiOne Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the quick reply, I indeed did check the Dell website and it did not show any drivers for Windows 8, so I am guess that I will just have to dual boot with Windows 7 Pro and Ultimate. I need to have dual OSes, one to run at work, with the Work Baseline configuration and the other OS to run my study programs, and VM Ware for a virtual network. I like the idea of only having to carry one notebook to work, since I study at work in the training room, at the end of day. Thanks.

Would OS would need to be installed first?? Since both are versions of Windows 7.

5. EspiOne

EspiOne Pen Pal - Newbie

6. samuel613

samuel613 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have Windows 8 Pro running nicely on my XT3, and this was actually an upgrade from Dell's stock 7, not a reinstall.
    There are 2 issues I am having with it.
    1. I ran the upgrade while the XT3 was docked. I used it for a few days, installed the N-Trig beta drivers, and all seemed fine. But once I removed the XT3 from the dock, the touch-screen went crazy with random phantom presses all over the place, and I had to refresh Windows, losing all desktop apps but keeping all my data. This happened numerous times, including when I refreshed it while unplugged and then, upon plugging it in, the same thing would happen.
    Most recently (weeks ago), I refreshed it while it was on battery and have only either plugged it in or docked it once shut down, not while it's running. So far so good, but I am baffled as to why this happens.
    2. The Fingerprint driver is giving me trouble, so that is the one non-functional part of my XT3 under Windows 8. Given the great touch keyboard (and improved touch functionality, in general, over Windows 7), I can deal with it for now, and the trade-off is well worth it, IMHO.

I wish I could resolve these 2 issues, though.

7. 0p1e

0p1e Pen Pal - Newbie

@samuel613 and anyone else who comes across this thread.

I was also having problems with the XT3 touch screen going crazy when it was unplugged. I ran across this Microsoft answer and thought I should put it here for anyone else seeking help.
    Touch Screen on Dell Latitude XT3 stopped working after installing - Microsoft Community

1.Open the Intel Graphics and Media Control Panel (Right-click on the desktop and go to Graphic Properties)
    2.Select "Basic" or "Advanced Mode" and hit "OK"
    3.On the side, click "Power"
    4.Next to Power Source, select "On battery"
    5.Under Power Conservation Features, uncheck "Display Refresh Rate Switching"
    6.Click "OK" at the bottom and Apply the settings.

Good luck, everyone!

8. KARNAG3

KARNAG3 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello everyone,

I only registered to give you my solutions regarding the problems you were having.
    For the N-Trig: Downloads & Drivers - N-trig
    For the Fingerprint reader, I installed these:
    Dell Data Protection - http://ftp.us.dell.com/FOLDER00616515M/1/DDP_Application_TDC1K_WN_2.2.00003.009_A06.EXE
    ControlVault Driver - http://ftp.us.dell.com/FOLDER01013364M/2/CV_Drv_Setup_8THGX_A10_64bit_ZPE.exe
    ControlVault Firmware - http://ftp.us.dell.com/FOLDER01006015M/2/CV_Setup_46KM0_A28_ZPE.exe
    And now I have a fully functionning fingerprint reader running on Windows 8 Pro on my Latitude XT3.

Hope it will help.

Cheers,

9. LcLk

LcLk Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello EspiOne,

I would like to know if your shipment of XT3s has arrived and if you could could give us you opinion on the unit

Thanks

10. EspiOne

EspiOne Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, we finally got our XT3s last week. I have to say, I am overly impressed by them. My supervisor had me configure one quickly for use on the network to demo it to our EXEs. Not sure how that went...how not got back to me on any issues. I am currently creating an image for them and so far, no major issues. My XT3 has been outfitted with Windows 7 Ultimate and Windows 8 Enterprise RTM. I have not finished the configuration of my XT3. Let me go over some pro/cons for you.

Pros:
    1. Touch Screen is VERY responsive, the N-trig pen is very responsive to the screen, better then I have on other Windows 7 touchscreen devices. It works equally in in Windows 8.
    2. The move of the screen from Notebook to Tablet is fluid, no stiffness or gridding.
    3. The notebook is light, not too heavy, but then I have been using Thnikpads, so I did not notice a difference.
    4. Keyboard is nice, no sticky keys, keys are responsive with no need to push hard on them.
    5. Track ball and touch pad, I am a big fan of thinkpads, so this was a plus for me.

Cons:
    1. Only one issue that I have noticed and I read about this, is the lid latch mechanism. This set up does not close/lock easily.

If you have any partically questions, let me know., I will provide more feedback on this Notebook as the days go by. Thanks for all the other post, I will research the driver links.