Dell Latitude XT Tablet PC Release and Our First Thoughts

Discussion in 'News Headlines' started by jared2, Dec 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

I love the scroll wheel on the side of the tablet! I also like the trackpoint (nipple), the high resolution in the small form factor, and the battery life along with that optional battery slice. It's a bit expensive and slow, but if this proves to have high quality and reliability, this is the price range I'm going after. If they can drop the price enough so I can get the tablet, full warranties and battery slice for $2500, this will definitely be a contender. If they'll package in a SSD and 2 gigs of memory for the same price, I'll have a hell of time resisting.

As far as Toshiba goes, I'd rather castrate myself with a rusty file than buy a Toshiba and deal with their horrid customer service again.

2. aeview

aeview Pen Pal - Newbie

I still cannot find XT on Dell's website... They decided not to introduce it today??? It's already 8pm ET, and no sign of XT....

3. PLATINUM

PLATINUM Pen Pal - Newbie

Well they removed the link posted earlier in this thread.. however now when you search their site you get this link (see below). All references to pricing are gone. Again, I might (stress might) consider this tablet if it were about a $1000 less. The added goodies, just dont seem to be enough when you look at the actual hardware specs.

I don't care what class some manufacturer calls it.. business, gamers, home..etc..

None of that matters.. what matters is processer, frontside bus, memory/front side bus, cache, video ram and the bus speed of the video ram, screen quality, battery life.. and with a tablet there are some other extras for sure. But when you are comparing.. its all about dollars to performance.

As far as customer service, I really don't need them unless the machine croaks. I can 99% of the time fix my own problem with a little bit of google or forum searching. So when I call someone at these places.. its only for the worst case scenario.

http://www.dell.com/tablet?s=bsd&cs=04

4. Andrew

Andrew Just a Guy Staff Member

I'm not sure how much stock to put in the Apple Tablet rumor. I think we'll see an ultraportable from them, but nothing else touch screen related. Of course, I could be totally wrong on that so if you can wait another month to assess the situation better then by all means.

5. Vandyu

Vandyu Pen Pal - Newbie

Maybe Michael Dell is just tired of doing business as usual and is hoping for a Ted Waitt-style buyout from Acer. Afterall, Ted took a fairly successful company from South Dakota to California and watched it tank in a few short years. But now, looks like he's being rewarded by being absorbed by Acer. Before long, Acer will consider opening a factory in the U.S. to put starving Americans to work out of gratitude for helping them to up their product line with Gateways and take up more shelf space at Best Buy and Circuit City
    If Dell starts to tank due to poor management decisions, Michael can give the Chinese a call for a bailout too.
    Hope that doesn't happen, but Dell isn't the same company it was when I bought my Dimension 4500. All good things end some day.

6. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It almost seems like they're marketing it more as a novelty than an actual tablet for use... multitouch without widespread software support, and at that price point.

7. jsailorca2002

jsailorca2002 Pen Pal - Newbie

$2500!? I see a price cut once Dell realizes it ain't sellin enough.
    Dell...please come back to reality!!!

I would buy the Lenovo X61, Fujitsu 2010, 4220, Toshiba Protege M700 (and heck even the Gateway C140s) before this one.

8. phuoc

phuoc Pen Pal - Newbie

ha the only thing which is worth so much would be the toshiba r400 with the power of an t4220. but $2500 for something that looks so boring and is so slow, no idea. i mean they aint stupid, but i have no clue what kind of customers dell has.

9. juin21

juin21 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm confused, are you talking about flick? Flick is also on the gateway, i'm using it right now as a matter of fact on the C-5815/c-120. Were you trying to let us know of multi-touch?

10. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

to me the capacitive touch, looks alot more fluid, than touch that i've seen on previous tablet models. It also seems alot more accurate.

I'm still not sure why i'd want touch on a tablet, i just bought my x61t, and am coming from an m200, so i'm not a stranger to tablets. Nonetheless i think it looks good, though i agree there's no real integration for the capability in the OS, but thats more Microsoft's fault than Dell's, anything Dell did now would just run on top of Windows.
    Flicks look nice, but granted i can do that w / my pen, the convenience of not having to use the pen will appeal to some people i guess.

I also like Dells/ Ntrigs implementation in that you can actually (manually) chose which input you want to use, pen only, touch only, both etc...

some w/in the industry who've had the opportunity to see Windows 7 are blown way & say that Windows 7 will really make better use of touch, a la the iPhone, granted only heaven knows when we'll actually see it, but i think Dell implementation of touch is a step in the right direction.

again $1000 worth of nice, no...