Dell Latitude XT Tablet PC Release and Our First Thoughts

Discussion in 'News Headlines' started by jared2, Dec 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jared2

jared2 Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes, you can still customize it...just the fully loaded pre-built is absent. Not sure why.

2. NDogg

NDogg Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow, if this is supposed to be competing with the Fujitsu T2010 it has lost IMO. I'm glad I didn't wait and bought a T2010 already.

3. ates

ates New Tab Owner

$2,500 :eek:
    That is insane for a base price.

4. hexiumvii

hexiumvii Pen Pal - Newbie

It may be viable with the 30% off stacked with $400 off.

5. nikecar

nikecar Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

why not get a Fuji, and upgrade it up the wazoo for less than the XT.. then get reimbursed.

6. thaluckyspoon

thaluckyspoon Scribbler - Standard Member

I was really interested in this tablet not so much for myself but just because I like new tech but this price point seems really out of character for Dell. In fact a lot of Dell has been doing the past 3 months has been out of character for Dell. First a $4,500 WoW laptop, then an announcement they will be retailing at Best Buy, and now a $2500 base price for an underpowered tablet.

Is this Michael's idea of good business strategy?

7. quantum

quantum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The 1330 costs more than an equivalent Sony SZ, and options just jack the price ridiculously. Who ever heard of a fingerprint reader costing that much? The same goes for their new 17 inchers and 15 inchers in the XPS line. The Latitude lineup costs more than equivalent Thinkpads, and in all honesty, as a business user I'd go with Thinkpad each time. The new design strategy on the XPS doesn't really justify the price hike, especially considering the manufacturing issues that people have gone through with the 1330. Sure the Latitude line never had these problems but they never really had an edge over the Thinkpads that justified their price... Now the same goes for the XT, and I'm wondering when Dell will wake up. Sure they make their ends meet (by far) but I just can't stand it that there isn't the competition to shake them out of their delusions...

8. jared2

jared2 Scribbler - Standard Member

BTW, I just spoke with a sales rep from Toshiba, and she said that this was removed as it won't be available until mid January. The difference with that model is the MULTITOUCH capability. IE: Acording to her, the current Vista customizable M700 does not have the ability to receive non-pen touches. This will be installed on the newer version in January.

I would be very interested if someone else could confirm this.

So Dell is currently the only one that has the multi-touch until January.

9. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Administrator Super Moderator

*sigh* if only this machine was out when I bought my incompetent CrapPad X61 I might still be a tablet user. (Or, if only I had re-ordered the Fujitsu T4220).

Looks like a really nice machine. I'd pay $2,500 if it meant having a reliable user experience.

10. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator