Dell Latitude XT Tablet PC Release and Our First Thoughts

Discussion in 'News Headlines' started by jared2, Dec 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If Dell can charge $4500 for a "World of Warcraft" laptop, then $2500 for a tablet doesn't seem like a stretch for them.

2. icefreez

icefreez Pen Pal - Newbie

My toughts:

Price - Way to high to be considered by any one looking to get best bang for buck

Dual touch screen - I do not think software is currently developed far enough to really even support two points of input. I think over the next year or so we will see more but right now the most you will get will probably be from dell. That doesn't make me hold my hopes to high :p

Speed - The dual core option is a farily decent speed for the size IMO

Weight & Shape - It looks to be a nice tablet you can hold in your hand however some of the edges and the port placement seem a bit odd. I for one am not a fan of the NIC on the back of the tablet, but most people will use wireless anyways ;). The external antenna for the wireless is great. I always wanted a laptop with an external antenna for wardriving :p. I kind of out grew that now though :p. The pen looks like a revolutionary design but only time will tell if users actually find this useful or not.

3. parapudaw

parapudaw Pen Pal - Newbie

After all the wait... the price disappointment. Tsk, tsk, tsk...

4. archiwiz

archiwiz Scribbler - Standard Member

$2678 starting price for a limited time????

Who does Dell expect to buy this? Well, well, I was right to throroughly dislike Dell. I'll jolly well go on hating them.

M700, or T4220, or X61t, or T2010 here I come...:D

5. shademar

shademar Pen Pal - Newbie

Call me crazy but I just don't get this emphasis on 'business users' as the main target for tpcs. It seems like students, and artists/graphic designers (I'm a gad student myself, so maybe I'm biased in this respect) have more needs to which a tablet specifically speaks than a business user looking for an ultralight with expanded capabilities. That being said, companies keep focusing on developing products for the latter niche, effectively pricing the former right out of the market. 2600?! Dude, I'm not getting a dell! :p

6. PLATINUM

PLATINUM Pen Pal - Newbie

Wait! Wait.. don't be hasty!

If you read the fine print

Pricing, specifications, availability and terms of offers may change without notice, are not transferable and are valid only for new purchases from Dell Small Business for delivery in the 50 United States.

:D

So they might lower the price by about $1100 and actually make it market competative.

7. Andrew

Andrew Just a Guy Staff Member

Depends how much you're willing to spend, I like the XT a lot, but as others have said, the price is high and this is an untested machine -- Fujitsu does have several years of designing and supporting Tablet PCs under their belt.

Yeah, that's the CCFL 400 nit screen you're looking at there, the LED screen is thinner.

One thing that's clear is that this Tablet is certainly priced on the higher end and somewhat focused on business buyers at the moment. Remember $2,500 is absolutely nothing to a large corporation if it helps their sales people to be more effective and what not. Unfortunately we're not all large corporations :eek:

I imagine we'll see prices fall in the coming months though, if you really want this machine you'll just have to be patient and wait for that to happen I guess.

8. quantum

quantum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm thinking of being an early adopter (as always) on the Toshiba and waiting for this to drop $800 of weight for starters before I (early adopt) give it a shot. I'll have sold the Toshiba out of pure annoyance with the nubs sticking out on the corners by then...

9. virage

virage Pen Pal - Newbie

Andrew, price is not really important - I am getting one for work and will be reimbursed.
    I will be taking meeting notes and enter equations.

In general, what would be the absolute best TabletPC for this purpose, money no object?

Or should I wait for the Apple Tablet rumored for January 2008 release?

10. archiwiz

archiwiz Scribbler - Standard Member

Aha! We have a winner. :). Take THAT Dell!

The Vista M700 is suddenly absent from the Toshiba website. :mad: Am I missing something?