Dell Latitude XT Tablet Makes First Appearance Discussion

Discussion in 'News Headlines' started by Sgt_Strider, Nov 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Concentrate

Concentrate Scribbler - Standard Member

Love how thin this is, but I guess battery life will not be amazing. I it comes out with a reasonable price and an excellent battery life, I would be tempted to buy it.

2. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If this tablet is brighter than the T2010, then it is really bright, but I think it's just a lie.
    Another question is why does the presenter uses the mouse instead of it's wonderful multitouch technology to control the OS???
    What program does this technoglogy support? No program, so why should I buy a tablet with a technology which isn't supported by any program? And I think there will be no programs in the near future that will support this technoloy. Image manipulation with multitouch looks nice, but the way Sketchbook solved this is more comfortable and more accurate.
    On a 70" display this technology would be perfect, but on a 12.1" display the fingers are just too big to work with them on the screen.
    I don't think, that Dell will deliver the tablet with a a lot of great programs that support multitouch. The program they used in the presentation is just a joke, the image he produced with his fingers looks very inaccurate.
    But we will see.

3. pibach

pibach Scribbler - Standard Member

This was exactly what I thought and what tells you that this technology somehow must be severely premature.

4. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Probably not OS-supported... I don't recall hearing about XP/Vista supporting more than 1 cursor-control HID =P Must be software-limited only, or maybe awaiting an OS upgrade (by which the XT will be outdated...)

5. jared2

jared2 Scribbler - Standard Member

Or the lamo was just too nervous. He was practically shaking like a leaf up there and may have just grabbed the mouse out of habbit.

6. IT Healthcare

IT Healthcare Pen Pal - Newbie

We are with a big IT consulting firm. We saw the product at a demo this week. The market for this includes mobile jobs - healthcare, docs, hospital, retail, shop floor, etc. The light weight and screen brightness will supercede all tablets out there. It was impressive. This will finally be the tipping point that the tablet PC market needed. I'd buy this tablet over a laptop and certainly over any other tablet PC out there. It will open a lot of new applications. I hope it comes out in quantity.

7. Sgt_Strider

Sgt_Strider Pen Pal - Newbie

If it's not wacom enabled, how can the screen have an active digitizer? Don't you mean it has a passive digitizer?

8. Sgt_Strider

Sgt_Strider Pen Pal - Newbie

Just how accurate does the screen recognize your finger's movement on the screen? I'm still thinking of getting the T2010 based on the reasons that Frank specified. The specs for the Latitude laptop has been leaked and it doesn't appear to have a wacom enabled screen which to me is a big turn off.

9. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Wacom's not the only active digitiser manufacturer... though I am interested to see which manufacturer Dell has picked. In any case, not wacom-penabled means no buy from me, until reviews can make me think otherwise.

10. beq

beq Pen Pal - Newbie

I saw this at Engadget yesterday afternoon:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/11/19/dells-latitude-xt-tablet-specs-leak-out/

The finger/pen multitouch digitizer is made by: http://www.n-trig.com/

Source article: http://www.istartedsomething.com/20071120/dell-latitude-xt-specs/

Read the comments for both articles.