Dell Latitude 7000 Series 2-in-1 7285: 12.3" 3:2 slim bezels + wireless charging

Discussion in 'Dell' started by kvoram, Jan 8, 2017.

1. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

What's the update on this?

2. cecco

cecco Pen Pal - Newbie

Does anybody know what the travel keyboard looks like? How does it hold the tablet in position?

Update: it's available for sale now, but there is no travel keyboard yet

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  3. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

kvoram likes this.
  4. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just guessing, but it will probably be similar to the folio cover/keyboard of the Dell 7275, so adding a cover to the back which includes a kickstand.

Oh, and 300 bucks extra for wireless-charging is quite hefty.

5. PeetBak

PeetBak Pen Pal - Newbie

I see from the Dell site they've gone with the low-powered Y Series Kaby Lakes instead of the standard U Series. I'd be using this for business (heavy spreadsheets, etc.). Otherwise was very excited about the concept (detachable USB-C, lapable w/hinge, >HD screen res) Anyone knowledgeable about it - is this a dealbreaker?

6. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member

7. PeetBak

PeetBak Pen Pal - Newbie

Cool, thanks for the info and the link, that was helpful. I'm looking at i5 or i7 level, and it seems like there's a pretty large performance gap for those models Y vs U.

8. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member

Of course it is, the Y series is a 4.5-6 Watt and the U a 15W processor.
    If there is no difference then they have done something wrong.

But the Y series can ( short term ) get up to 15W, which means in typical office work they can speed up to that level and then fall down again.
    If you need constant power ( like for gaming ) then the Y series isn't for you, but I use it for SW development and Android Studio and Visual Studio are
    very usable.

9. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Some good and not so good news on this one:

It can be reasonably easy opened, so SSD, WLAN card, WWAN card, battery etc. can be replaced. While the SSD is not soldered, it uses a m.2 SSD in the smaller 2242 size, so choices are limited.

The Sharp IGZO display uses Corning Gorilla Glass 4 and apparently has anti-reflective and anti-smudge properties (how effective remains to be seen).

The Type Cover-like Travel keyboard option seems to have been abandoned. You have to choose between the keyboard with wireless charging or with a secondary 22Wh battery.

If you want to use a different charger, it apparently uses 20V for USB-Power Delivery.

The manual lists two different batteries, same capacity at 34Wh, but one has ExpressCharge while the other touts Long Life Cycle. Dimensions are also different, doesn't make much sense for me.

Full manual with diassembly instructions: http://www.dell.com/support/manuals...67ed37-0818-4592-a25c-f04b3a73c18d&lang=en-us

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

alextrela182 likes this.
  10. cecco

cecco Pen Pal - Newbie

A dell salesman told me that the travel keyboard should be released within mid august. Is there any ufficial source that it will be abandoned instead?

Thanks for the update anyway, the fact that the hdd isn't soldered sounds good