Dell Latitude 7000 Series 2-in-1 7285: 12.3" 3:2 slim bezels + wireless charging

Discussion in 'Dell' started by kvoram, Jan 8, 2017.

1. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Dell is keeping very busy and bringing a lot of cool stuff to CES. The Dell Latitude 7285 is their fourth new 2-in-1 offering at CES beyond the Latitude 5285 detachable and the XPS13 and Latitude 5289 360° convertibles.
    It's main feature is that it is all about wireless, it will include WiGig for wireless docking but as a world's first it will also include wireless charging with a separate charging mat for one of the three keyboard options.
    The wireless charging tech comes in the form of Witricity's AirFuel, it is not stated how fast it will actually charge but the technology used allows for up to 30 Watt.
    The charging mat looks to be around 1cm/0.5" thick, so it can still be typed on while charging, but you might need to move it away when using the desk for something else.
    Dell promises more infos at their Dell EMC World event in May.

Beyond that, it does use the slim bezel design from the XPS13 on the side and the top with a bigger bezel on the bottom. I actually like that, as it will make it easy to hold it in portrait mode without accidental touches.
    One improvement over the XPS13's slim bezels is that the 7285 still includes the front camera at the top, so there are no unflattering "below your chin/into your nose point of view" Skype chats.

Connection-wise it does have two Thunderbolt 3 ports, which is great, but those are also the only ports. That, combined with sadly the lack of a kickstand, does make it very slim at just 7.8 mm though.
    If you opt for the thicker keyboard options with either additional battery or wireless charging, the keyboard itself will hold the tablet in position in typical laptop-style, so "lapability" promises to be better.

[​IMG]

CPU

7th Gen Kaby Lake Y-Series Intel® Core™i & Core™ i vPro™​
    Graphics
    Intel(R) HD 615 Graphics​
    OS
    Windows 10 (Home, Pro)​
    Memory
    8 or 16GB 1600MHz​
    LCD and Touch
    12.3” 3:2 (2880 x 1920) 100% sRGB 3K Sharp IGZO with Corning® Gorilla® Glass 4​
    Camera
    720p User-facing IR with WIndows Hello
    8 MP World-facing​
    Storage
    128/256/512GB SSD,
    256 GB SED (Self-Encrypting Drive) option,
    micro SD card slot​
    Battery & Battery life
    - 34WHr in Tablet (6+ hours)
    - 34WHr in Tablet + 22WHr base (9+hours)​
    I/O
    - 2x USB Type C Thunderbolt 3
    - micro-SD
    - micro-SIM
    - Audio Jack​
    Pen
    Dell Active Pen PN557W, can be attached magnetically on the side​
    Wireless
    Dual band Wi-Fi 2x2 802.11ac,
    BT 4.2,
    Miracast,
    WiGig
    WWAN/LTE​
    Keyboard
    - Dell Latitude 7285 Travel Keyboard (slim like Surface Type Cover, without battery and without wireless charging),
    - Dell Latitude 7285 Productivity Keyboard (with 22Wh battery, but without wireless charging)
    - Dell Latitude 7285 Wireless Charging Keyboard (but without internal battery)​
    Security
    TPM 2.0, Noble Lock Slot; Win Hello Facial recognition via IR camera​
    Weight
    Tablet – 675g = 1.48lbs, with base 1043g = 2.3lbs​
    Dimension
    Tablet – 273.2mm x 208.5mm x 7.8mm​

Availability: May 30, 2017
    Pricing: will be announced at Dell EMC World in May

Here is a hands-on video, thanks to Liliputing:

Some more links and pics:

https://liliputing.com/2017/01/dell-latitude-7285-2-1-tablet-wireless-charging.html
    http://www.theverge.com/ces/2017/1/...p-wireless-charging-battery-keyboard-ces-2017
    http://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...Tricitys-Magnetic-Resonance-Technology-Worlds

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  2. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Wow I'm really surprised in positive way by CES 17 announcement from Dell in 2 in 1 line.
    Seems Dell is the only truly alternative proposal to upcoming SP5 within 2017.

Not Asus,not Lenovo,not HP being impressed so far.

Only if Samsung with the coming upgrade of Tab Pro S could surprise us if Samsung fix the 2-3 major disadvantages on current(2016) model.

But despite being positive general to Dell announced these days I'm not so pleased by summer availability(when Intel probably will announce future 10nm Connon Lake 8th generation Intel CPU at Computex 2017) and lack of kickstand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WillAdams likes this.
  3. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I wonder how this compares to the previous Infinity Edge screens on the previous XPS 12 and Latitude 12 7275 lines?

Those had some excellent gamut and outdoor brightness characteristics which I hope they retained.

kvoram likes this.
  4. jbaks

jbaks Pen Pal - Newbie

If dell will add the option for a LTE wireless modem in this id buy it. Looks exactly like what I need except for the lack of an cellular modem.

Starlight5 likes this.
  5. kvoram

I doubt they will offer a version with LTE in the future. The small form factor due to the slim bezels and its thinness were probably already the reason for the somewhat smallish battery. The thicker bezel at the bottom could also not have been a design decision but a necessity to fit the components in there. So I don't think they have enough space left to fit a LTE module with antennas in there.

6. jbaks

jbaks Pen Pal - Newbie

if they can fit LTE in latitude 12 7000 4K Business 2-in-1 I dont see why they couldnt fit on in this

but yea i did talk to a dell rep, they said there wasnt going to be an option for it so booo

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    kvoram likes this.
  7. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member

This Dell vs Toshiba Z20t-C vs Surface Book i7, what would you pick?

8. kvoram

FYI, it looks like the Dell PN557W Active Pen, that was announced alongside Dell's tablets at CES, is technically the same as the previous PN556W pen. It is still Wacom AES with 2048 pressure levels. So it looks like Lenov still got dibs on Wacom's 4096 level AES pen.

Seems the only reason for the redesigned Dell pen was to make it magnetically attachable to Dell's 2017 tablets (Latitude 5285, 5289 and 7285).

[​IMG]

At least in Europe I see availability dates listed around mid-April.

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/Pop...&cs=04&sku=750-AATY&price=59.99&client=config

http://www.dell.com/support/home/en...upport/product/dell-active-pen-pn557w/manuals

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  9. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Editor-in-Chief of TechAndTiny Senior Member

If they fix the battery life issues from their prior Latitude 12 7275, consider me interested.

10. kvoram

So sadly there weren't any new reports on this from Dell EMC World, but aparently it will ship in the US in early June and the wireless charging mat (not sure if it includes the keyboard) will cost a whopping $199.