Dell Latitude 5285 2-in-1

Discussion in 'Dell' started by kvoram, Jan 3, 2017.

1. MRunabout

MRunabout Pen Pal - Newbie

I haven't seen any reviews stating the 5285's SATA and NVME based M.2 socket accommodates both type of drives but with the video at the 46s mark showing what looks to be an M-key socket, I think it is pretty safe to the SATA based versions can also use an NVME drive in that socket. To clarify, I couldn't find any hard proof that the 5285 came with differently keyed M.2 sockets (B, M, B+M key) for the different SSD interfaces used.

I took mine apart last night to compare my NVME socket with the parts-people video on their SATA SSD removal and it was definitely the same socket (M-key) that can accommodate SATA and NVME.

2. MRunabout

I've also noticed something odd with the PN557W pen and the drivers I tried to use with it.

1) When I install the Dell Active Pen Control Panel (7.5.1.22#10 ,A00-00 or 7.3.4-51 ,A03) or Wacom Feel (7.3.4-47 or 7.5.1-25) drivers, none of the settings stick and the shortcuts go back to the defaults after a restart. On top of that, after a restart, the shortcut button no longer works until it is re-paired with the tablet.

2) Using the Wacom Feel 7.5.1-25 driver, everything worked perfectly - including the shortcut button after a restart BUT when using OneNote (primary pen use) the erase function, when configured to one of the two side buttons, would no longer work. Once the button is clicked, the erase function is selected in the toolbar but nothing happens.

3) With no drivers installed and only using the Pen & Windows Ink shortcut configuration settings, everything works perfectly fine. The Dell and Wacom drivers were nice because they allowed for battery monitoring and the Wacom driver allowed for calibration from within the driver installed application.

3. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Bad news. Although we now have around 5 5285 devices still working I had to send the other two back. One just kept on freezing and had difficulty switching on while the one I'm using had the phantom touch of death before no longer registering touches. Oh well. Can't win them all.

4. MRunabout

Do you think you'll be buying more of these, switch back to the Surface Pro, or try a different tablet PC?

I've only had mine a month so I can't comment on reliability.

I have noticed an odd sound (possibly electrical as it sounds like some of my aftermarket wall chargers) coming from the CPU/GPU but that's my only gripe so far.

5. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

We will be buying more. Over the years we've had a a wireless card vanish from a Surface pro, couple with screen shake, so mileage may vary.

We'll keep buying the 5285 as it is a pretty nice machine and two out of 7 isn't bad. It isn't great... but they have all been refurbs. Plus the 5290 is the one that we'd eventually like to purchase due to the quad core.

Additionally we now all have the same docks, the same chargers, that cost peanuts compared to the Surface Docks.

Dock:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B077FPTVSD/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Charger:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B076Q6Z2RL/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

6. MRunabout

Small update:

I started noticing that my laptop would sometimes not want to shut off and the only way around it was to select ctrl, alt, del, hit the power button on the bottom right to initiate the shut down sequence, and then hold the power button for a few seconds until the option to pull down the screen to turn off the computer shows up. I haven't downloaded anything after I finished setting things up initially so I figure this may be a Windows update issue.

There are times when my touchpad on my brand new keyboard doesn't respond and no amount of detaching and attaching seems to alleviate the issue. Touch response randomly comes and goes but seems to have been okay for the past few days.

The Dell PN557W stylus hardly works now. It is extremely intermittent. I will probably buy a Wacom pen to replace it before the semester starts. It's pretty disappointing considering I take notes in OneNote as well as import PDFs into OneNote for annotating very often.

7. yodamiked

yodamiked Pen Pal - Newbie

@excalibur1814 How are the 5285’s treating you? I’m looking at picking up a 5290 refurb for cheap before I move out of the UK (cheaper here than in the US where I’m going). Main concern is if I run into any issues it will be expensive to ship it back to the seller for warranty (seller warranty not dell warranty).

8. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

I thought Dell did international warranties. In my past interactions with them it's never been an issue getting service across different regions, (just about updating it in their systems, and fairly painless) but do check that with them.

9. yodamiked

yodamiked Pen Pal - Newbie

I’m sure that’s right, but these are third party refurbs, so unfortunately the warranty is through the seller, not Dell.

10. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

ahh gotcha..in the UK do you have refurbished machines directly from Dell, just to comparison shop? b/c they normally offer like new warranties on their refurbs at least stateside.