Dell Latitude 11 5000 2-in-1

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Yogi76, Sep 4, 2015.

1. alexmih

alexmih Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello,
    I have Dell Latitude 11 5179 m5/8gb/256gb/slim keyboard, and I'm not happy with it. Because of the slim keybord, the computer's dimensions are murch larger. It's very inconvenient to travel!!! And the Dell's fingerprint does not work well, I do not use it.

I advise you to buy Dell Latitude 11 5175 m5/8gb/256gb ONLY with the optional Latitude 11 Keyboard. It will be slightly heavier, but you can work for about 9 hours without additional battery charging, because there is one more battery in the keyboard.

With best regards Alex.

2. katie-eliza

katie-eliza Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the replies and helpful responses, I really appreciate it!

That's to be expected - I just like the idea of a sort of silo pen for Aes as my vivotab note has an emr silo pen which is useful to have for emergencies etc, but I do have the old bamboo feelit stylus for emr for actual note taking in class as it's much more comfortable to hold - so long term I'd plan on getting a full size active stylus for writing with, although at the moment will be the new Bamboo Smart pen at £30 as I can find the dell one anywhere less than £60.

Can I clarify - the mini stylus will work on tablet only, but only charge in the keyboard base when it is attached to the tablet, is that correct?

Advice or more info on processor/rams options would be awesome thanks...but I don't know how to IM on here yet, can you tell me how?

Tempting not to say so you don't buy the one I want.... :p - I found them via eBay and then found a couple of the refurb sellers have their own shops which are a little cheaper - so depends if you want the extra eBay protection.

https://www.xsonly.com/collections/refurbished-dell-latitude-11-tablet
    https://www.fyldirect.co.uk/search.php?q=latitude+11
    http://mcscom.co.uk/

MCS Com also has old venues even cheaper if you fancy that....just don't buy up all the Latitude 11s please...I want one haha

I saw that the dimensions are much larger and wasn't sure about that - do you think it would be possible to get a 5175 replacement back and pull out those modules? (mostly because for some reason the 5179 is £100 less..).
    I guess it also depends on what I need - I was looking thinking I needed 8gb ram, so a lot depends on that choice.

I very much agree about the keyboard - if I want thin and light I can choose a bt keyboard I like and get a mini stand/stand case I like, but a proper mini clamshell base suited for it - and with a battery giving a very useful purpose to the base - it's worth it.
    I was more just checking people thoughts about what cost point the new latitude 11 keyboard is worth the extra over an old venue 11 pro one - but from the comments here it seems that saving the little extra for the latitude one is better, am I right?

3. HoHoHo

HoHoHo Pen Pal - Newbie

I also own the 5175 - m5 CPU / 8GB / 512GB SSD. The tablet itself is slightly on the heavier side. In comparsion to a Thinkpad 10 (1. Gen) it is heavy. I also own the Dell Latitude 11 keyboard (KBK12M). The keyboard it self transforms the tablet to a really small Notebook. The keyboard itself is really good, has an option to backlite the keys. When I put the 5175 with keyboard side by side to ma Thinkpad X250 the X250 is really large...
    When I use the tablet only I put it in the LAtitude 11 rotating folio. This will protect the tablet really great.

My recommendations would be:
    - Buying definately a 8GB version, it is not possible to enhance the RAM later
    - if the tablet is also intended to be used like a Notebook the Dell Latitude 11 keyboard is the choice, since the buld in battery enhance the usage time, and you have a small pen that is really cool for mobile usage
    - The rotating folio protects the tablet really perfect

Than there is also an really nice accessory, the Dell Tablet Dock Gen2. This dock convers the tablet to a Desktop. I use my 5175 with two 1920x1200 TFT screens connected, with a normal mouse and keyboard. It is like a desktop PC...

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    alexmih likes this.
  4. alexmih

alexmih Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm sorry, do you happen to know how to solve the problem with recharging on a trip, where there is no way to use a stationary charger?
    For exampleI, I have an external battery Energizer, but I have no options how to charge this tablet. It does not charge from the battery.

5. HoHoHo

HoHoHo Pen Pal - Newbie

I never tried something else than the normal USB-C charger. With the Latitude Keyboard the 5175 runs >10h. At all the 5175 will be used in this way. First the battery of the keyboard will be used, if the battery is empty, the tablet battery is used.

Now to your question:
    Maybe it is a try to find an USB-C capable powerbank. Maybe the 5175 will be charged...? Also a try would be the Dell Power Companion:

http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=uk&l=en&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1&sku=451-BBVT

But I know it is not a cheapo piece of powerbank.

alexmih likes this.
  6. alexmih

alexmih Pen Pal - Newbie

Your link is the solution. Thanks.

P.S.
    Oh, how I regret that I bought Dell Latitude 5179 with a slim keyboard :(

7. HoHoHo

HoHoHo Pen Pal - Newbie

The 5179 isn't a bad device at all IMO. I agree if you say it is a little bit on the thick. But you will see in the future a 5179 with 8GB will be the better choice instead of a 5175 with 4GB.

Why do you regret buying the 5179 with slim keyboard? When I was checking out the Latitude 11 I was also thinking about getting a 5179.

8. alexmih

alexmih Pen Pal - Newbie

With the first part of your post I agree. 8Gb is super!
    But all the advantages of this tablet are annulled because of the slim keyboard:
    1. The design of the slim keyboard is very uncomfortable. The slim keyboard performs two functions: directly as a keyboard and it supports the tablet screen in a vertical position with a step that moves backwards (a type design, like a tripod). Because of this "tripod", the depth of this small notebook increases and it becomes larger than that of my Asus notebook (laptop) 15".
    Dimensions of the place that occupies:
    Asus: width - 38 cm, depth - 25 cm.
    Dell: width - 28 cm, depth in working order - 30 cm (!!!).
    That is, I can not put this little laptop on the table in an airplane (!!!). Its stupid tripod-type design takes up an area almost like a big laptop! It's horrible! It fell off the table several times, because by pushing it away from me, I forgot about its "tripod"... It is unfortunate to put on my knees ... And so on ...
    2. Since the keyboard is thin in it of course there is no extra battery, which more than halves the running time. Now, this time is approximately 4 hours. This is very short time when programming, for example. Dell took care of its copyright, that third-party chargers are not suitable for it. I have to buy only branded. But it is very expensive. And it's awful, too!

I'm not talking about security type finger print, which installed on this laptop. From the first time it almost never works, and then it is blocked and it is necessary to enter the code by hands. I stopped using this function. It feature is empty.

I wanted to buy a small smart laptop for programming outside the home, with the ability to occasionally use it as a tablet. But with the Dell Latitude 11 5179 I did not get what I wanted.

It is difficult to foresee everything, but the devil hides in little things. Alas.

P.S.
    Sorry for my English ...

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  9. HoHoHo

HoHoHo Pen Pal - Newbie

I do not know the slim keyboard, but interesting to read you opinion. I have the Latitude 11 keyboard with battery and pen and it is really cool The 5175 is much smaller than my Thinkpad X250 that is also not a big device.

For me the reason was the 5179 is IMO far to thick. Also the 5175 is not a "smart" tablet" in comparsion to a Thinkpad 10 that I also own. Since my idea was to have a faster device that has more memory and SSD space I was choosing the 5175. At all I like my Latitude 11 with and without my Latitude 11 Keyboard.

You may try the Latitude 11 keyboard. On my 5175 I have Visual Studio 2015 installed and it runs well so far. It is clear I do not the big stuff on this tablet / convertible, but I can really use VS2015 on the device.

Regarding the chargers, I'd give the advice checking eBay and other sources in your country for an original charger. I got a original and identical Dell charger at ebay for an acceptable price - not cheap, only acceptable price. At all it is not that easy to get USB-C chargers that also support the 20V. And to be sincere, I'd definately pay a few bucks more for the original charger instead of getting a bad made cheapo 3rd party China Junk charger that is crap. The problem with those China crap chargers is you know if it is good or not after you bought it and you paid your money...

In general, if you are looking for something that is also not that big I'd advice checking out the Thinkpad X270. It is a Subnotebook. MY X250 with the large battery lasts >10h, depending on what I am doing. The X250 (and the X270 also) has also two batteries, you can use as 2nd battery a small one or the big one that extends the runtime really big. Also a nice device is the Thinkpad T470. The X270 is a 12.5" device, the T470 is a 14" device. Both are well made. At work I have a T470 since 2 weeks, my private device is a X250 since ~2 years.Both devices are still below 2kg.

10. alexmih

alexmih Pen Pal - Newbie

I do not see a lot of usefulness from the tablet without a keyboard. If only on the Internet or watch movies. Moreover, I do not like tablets with the Windows operating system. IMO.

I agree: "... the Latitude 11 keyboard with a battery and a pen, and it's really cool!" But I did not foresee this. In the near future I will buy it. But it will cost more than $200 with delivery!

Currently, I just advise (by experience) the interlocutors not to spend money on the purchase of the Dell Latitude 11 5179 with a slim keyboard, if somebody needs a functional little laptop-tablet.