Dell Latitude 11 5000 2-in-1

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Yogi76, Sep 4, 2015.

1. HoHoHo

HoHoHo Pen Pal - Newbie

I assume the Mini Pen is not charged. Try pullung the pen out for ~1cm nd pushing the pen back for 4s and than you should be able to use the pen for ~40 minutes.

2. kurosawa79

kurosawa79 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks. Seems to be working now. Maybe was an empty battery after all.

Next issue I've run into is that the power plan on my 5175 keeps resetting brightness to 40% despite me setting it to 15%. This normally happens after a reboot or docking the keyboard. I have tried to use a custom profile, the dell profile, the balanced profile...none will stick to 15% brightness. I've turned off adaptive brightness thinking this was the problem, going as far as disabling it in group policy (gpedit) still no dice.

Is there some one else experiencing these issues and have an idea of a solution?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. kurosawa79

I managed to fix the 40% brightness issue. I have seen people asking on other forums on this issue with no response.

I worked out that it was the Dell issued Intel Dynamic Platform Thermal Framework drivers causing this and uninstalled them. And now brightness settings stick. The tablet also seems to sleep a bit better too. Let Windows update install the DPTF drivers instead. Hopefully that helps someone.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  4. alexmih

alexmih Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello! I want your advice. I want to buy Dell Latitude 5179 8Gb 256Gb to work outside.
    But I'm not sure that it will be able to work with Android Studio. What do you think about it?

5. kurosawa79

If you mean working outside in the elements I don't think the 5000 series is a good choice as it's not built to withstand the outdoors. If you mean outdoors as in Starbucks yeah it's fine.

I don't see why it wouldn't work with Android studio though. It's a fully fledged Windows machines and it's fairly snappy.

If you don't need the fingerprint scanner and the extra security stuff I would get the 5175. Thinner, lighter and less expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. alexmih

alexmih Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you (!!!) for the clarification about 5175. If they differ only in this, of course, will consider buying 5175.
    Speaking of Android studio, I think that the CPU of the tablet is rather weak to start the virtual device. Even my Core i7 (on the laptop) is loaded to full capacity within 2-3 minutes when the emulator starts.

7. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member

Only because you have the wrong working procedure.
    1. Install the HAXM extension ( Intel extension for the ****ty emulator ).
    2. The emulator has to be started once until you shut down the machine, otherwise just use it.
    I have a M3-7y30 with 4GB RAM and Android Studio is working fine.

8. alexmih

alexmih Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you! I was just waiting for an answer from someone who uses the tablet for programming. As in the tests of the tablet I found in the Internet says only that it works well with office applications.

9. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes, most people that test computer are gaming with them and obviously without a dedicated GPU these tablets are not really working in games.
    But everything else is working good.
    If you compare the Passmark benchmark, which does everything except GPU, the 7y30 is better then a I5-5200
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2864&cmp[]=2440
    And as a developer we don't use it at 100% for hours.

10. HoHoHo

HoHoHo Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a 5175 with m5 / 8GBRAM and I have Visual Studo 2015 installed. It is not as fast as on my i7 development machine but it works fairly well for a device of this small size.
    I also have the Dell Latitude 11 keyboard (with battery and mini pen) and with this the 5175 is like a Notebook and very good to handle.